Why become a member? ×

(OMFG - it worked!!) Fender Custom Shop - worth the tag?

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1400774327' post='2456891']
And yeah it isn't in the best of shape, I think whoever had it used the same technique to cut the slots as they did to remove the finish - namely bashing it with a screwdriver.
[/quote]

The more you tell me about this bridge, the more I am hearing "mojo , mojo, mojo" !

Original pre-Thatcher era Badass 1 , two-tone distressed/vandalized ( spirit of '77 and all that) finish , bashed- with -a-screwdriver string slots = authentic indie tone, my friend. Could this bridge be any more street cred ? It might have been used on a Gang Of Four album, or maybe even one of The Slits early singles. Get it on e- Bay now, but be prepared for a stampede of hipsters , or alternately you could just cut out the fees and stand on street corner in Camden and pimp it out yourself. Kate Moss might buy it to wear on a chain round her neck as a piece of jewellery.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400775029' post='2456906']
??? Wow. I think they always have their prices way above most other stores, IME.
[/quote]

Looking at the full retail price, that is about the going rate for one of these, from what I can make out, although presumably you may get a deal on that price for cash , obviously,

It's a very limited run with specially wound pickups ect, and relicing, so that all comes at a cost. Fender CS are a pretty expensive proposition at the best of times.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400773381' post='2456874']
I've no idea what the O.P paid, none of my business, but they have just got one in Guitar, Guitar and it's up for £3500.
[/quote]

yea it's a bit of a cheeky question, but curiosity is getting the better of me. Super looking CS and am really happy that everything has worked out for the O..P. I know all about getting that once in a lifetime bass and having the rug pulled from under me as soon as I picked it up .

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400776878' post='2456932']
. I know all about getting that once in a lifetime bass and having the rug pulled form under me as soon as I picked it up .
[/quote]

Yes, me too and it sucks.

Agreed that it is great that this one has a happy ending . Would love one of these myself.

I've no idea what the O.P paid, none of my business, but they have just got one in Guitar, Guitar and it's up for £3500.
[/quote]

:o

f*** me bandy - how much??!!

[/quote]

Looks about right to me too. A Pino or Jaco CS is around £3,000 - £3,100 in a store now and the Geddy carries a higher price. I actually thought they'd be closer to £4K or even £4.5K!

THe discount vs RRP is far greater on the Geddy than their other CS basses.

Edited by molan

I'm not going to say what I really think of the bass and Fender's 'craftsmanship'.

I hope it pleases and sounds better than you dreamed it would!

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400779942' post='2456983']
I don't know, what do you look like ?
[/quote]

Not unlike a "Romancing the Stone" era Michael Douglas by all accounts.
I get told I look like him all the bloody time.

Either him or David bloody Emmanuel..... :(

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400780725' post='2456996']
Not unlike a "Romancing the Stone" era Michael Douglas by all accounts.
I get told I look like him all the bloody time.

Either him or David bloody Emmanuel..... :(
[/quote]

In that case around £3500 sounds about right. If you looked like the average Basschatter I would probably want closer to four grand , so take that as a compliment :) . Michael Douglas or David Emmanuel is a big step up from the experts on Time Team that most bass players seem to want to emulate .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400781449' post='2457003']
In that case around £3500 sounds about right. If you looked like the average Basschatter I would probably want closer to four grand , so take that as a compliment :) . Michael Douglas or David Emmanuel is a big step up from the experts on Time Team that most bass players seem to want to emulate .
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1400780438' post='2456990']
Looks about right to me too. A Pino or Jaco CS is around £3,000 - £3,100 in a store now and the Geddy carries a higher price. I actually thought they'd be closer to £4K or even £4.5K!

THe discount vs RRP is far greater on the Geddy than their other CS basses.
[/quote]

Wow...I'm well out of touch!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400786300' post='2457081']

Wow...I'm well out of touch!
[/quote]

We had a Pino in the shop recently priced at £3,050 and it sold in under 2 weeks. It was a great bass, much nicer than the '64 P original I used to have.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1400789222' post='2457123']
We had a Pino in the shop recently priced at £3,050 and it sold in under 2 weeks. It was a great bass, much nicer than the '64 P original I used to have.
[/quote]

I imagine it did...the Pino is a stunner. Sorry to OP...going off topic here. I'm glad you have sorted it!

[/quote]

Never heard a bad word about those Pino basses. Everyone who tries them seems to love them.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400769707' post='2456822']
How much £ did it set you back?
[/quote]
The Gedster was just under £3.5k.
[/quote]
I believe that particular Pino was the other CS I picked up last Sunday. It is indeed awesome.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400826597' post='2457249']
:-O
Now you're just showing off
;-)
[/quote]
Sorry man, that wasn't my intention. I had always admired the Pino and had hoped to get one some day if it ever came up on BC. As you know, they just don't that often. Completely unexpectedly and right in the middle of my wait time for the Geddy, I became aware of the Pino for sale. Literally as new, but less than the new price. I knew I couldn't let that pass and was lucky enough to be able to play before pay. I fell in love with it straight away and the rest is history. Damn thing still had the hang tag on it!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400775863' post='2456918']
Kate Moss might buy it to wear on a chain round her neck as a piece of jewellery.
[/quote]

I think the BA1 actually weighs more than Kate Moss.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400799601' post='2457208']
I sincerely hope so. I'll put it back on the rockery now for a few more months. :)
[/quote]

Keep those to yourself, you're flooding the market!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1400834779' post='2457323']
Sorry man, that wasn't my intention. I had always admired the Pino and had hoped to get one some day if it ever came up on BC. As you know, they just don't that often. Completely unexpectedly and right in the middle of my wait time for the Geddy, I became aware of the Pino for sale. Literally as new, but less than the new price. I knew I couldn't let that pass and was lucky enough to be able to play before pay. I fell in love with it straight away and the rest is history. Damn thing still had the hang tag on it!
[/quote]
A Pino and a Geddy!!. Congrats dude and enjoy. Any idea what these babies weigh?