Why become a member? ×

(OMFG - it worked!!) Fender Custom Shop - worth the tag?

Since buying a Dingwall I've been GAS free; not even remotely interested in looking at anything else. I was quite happy getting on with the business of learning new material as well as getting to grips with fan frets and my first 5'er for about 20 years. Coupled with the gig/rehearsal madness that is usually accompanied with the last few months of my year, I guess it was that I just didn't have time for GAS.

The lull in my musical year that is January and February has caused me to start feeling GAS-sy, this time in an unexpectedly Fender Custom Shop type direction.

I've seen a few in the flesh and they're shiny an' all (except the relics obviously), but I have never played one and I can't exactly pop down the road and try one.

Does the price justify the goods? Would I really be getting the best that Fender can achieve or would I be better off going somewhere like Nash or Jospeh Kaye or a.n.other?

I know some will say just get a Standard or Deluxe and save myself a packet, but I have a certain itch that can't be scratched with an off the peg number.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

The Fender Custom Shop is obviously the best of the best in terms of what Fender put out, but you'll hear from most people that if you want a top-notch Jazz or Precision, you don't have to fork out FCS prices. As you pointed out yourself, I think you'll find solace in other makers if you want a traditional bass, unless you're really desperate for that Fender headstock logo.. :)

This question is going to no doubt open a massive can of worms and bring out all the fender haters. Worth/value is all relative but if you like fender and have GAS for a custom shop I don't think anything will scratch that itch other than the real deal. From what I have read and heard about Nash, I personally wouldn't buy one but a lot of folks love them.

I have played a couple of custom shop basses and they were beautiful, no better or worse than my old hand built overwaters, just different. They were beautifully made and sounded like brilliant fenders, and to be honest 2k for an instrument is not a lot of money compared to a lot of musicians, drummers, keyboards players etc.

Now I am no Fender fan boy, I love my current one, but have played some stinkers in my time, but I recently played some relic fenders and they blew my mind in every way, I don't even particularly like relics! But these were stunning, they played better than anything I have ever got my hands on and that includes celinder, sadowsky, overwater, warwick, Alleva, in fact the only bass that I have played that I can say was equal in terms of comfort and playability was a well played in custom GB Spitfire.

I also believe that Fender hold their value better than a lot of custom brands so if you ever decide to move it on you won't take a huge hit. Coda music, bass gear, and guitar guitar have custom shop basses, well worth a drive to one of them to try some out.

I am desperately saving for a Fender Relic after playing a couple, it was like a lightening bolt moment, I just have to own one.

I think a lot of Fender CS basses are great instruments and I would love one myself, but competition in that area of the market is pretty fierce - who doesn't make a Fender-style bass nowadays? - and I see equally enticing basses of similar styles from a whole host of manufacturers. I have played most if not all of the main contenders in the uber-Fender arena (and owned a fair few over the years) , and I think that , overall, if you don't want a fancy onboard preamp , the best are Fender CS and USA- made Lakland , and I couldn't really say one was better than the other

. Lakland are a bit easier to deal with as a company than the bureaucracy of the Fender Custom Shop dealer network , but Fender CS have upped their game as a direct result of such competition by introducing quartersawn necks as standard nowadays ect , and they can make you an authentic Fender to your dream spec if you are specific enough in your mandate to them ( and have the necessary cash). If I wwere you, I would decide what I really wanted from the Custom Shop and then contact a dealer to get a rough idea of the cash price, and then you would at least know what you are dealing with as a proposition.

Edited by Dingus

I have 2 Fender CS basses and they are just sublime to play and hear. They are also immaculately made from the best woods, etc.
My perspective and opinion on them is try and buy a good used one and you won't lose out financially if you happen to not like it and want to shift it on.
They're quite rare in terms of coming up for sale 2nd hand but that to me is a testament to how good they are!

Good luck and I know you're dilemma well. Look where it got me :lol:

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"][quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1388953764' post='2328134'][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I think you'll find solace in other makers if you want a traditional bass, unless you're really desperate for that Fender headstock logo.. :)[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"][/quote][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I think if I'm going to get another Jazz, I can't think of a good reason why it shouldn't be a Fender. I know what I want and I know they can make it, so... [/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"][quote name='NJE' timestamp='1388954370' post='2328144'][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]This question is going to no doubt open a massive can of worms and bring out all the fender haters.

I also believe that Fender hold their value better than a lot of custom brands so if you ever decide to move it on you won't take a huge hit. Coda music, bass gear, and guitar guitar have custom shop basses, well worth a drive to one of them to try some out.

I am desperately saving for a Fender Relic after playing a couple, it was like a lightening bolt moment, I just have to own one.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"][/quote][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]Yeah, I was kind of hoping to avoid the can of worms thing![/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I usually resign myself to taking the hit at the point of sale. It saves any pain later on.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]Which Relic are you after? I think they’re doing a ’55 and a ’64 at the moment?[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"] [quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1388957474' post='2328205'][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I think a lot of Fender CS basses are great instruments and I would love one myself, but competition in that area of the market is pretty fierce - who doesn't make a Fender-style bass nowadays? - and I see equally enticing basses of similar styles from a whole host of manufacturers. I have played most if not all of the main contenders in the uber-Fender arena (and owned a fair few over the years) , and I think that , overall, if you don't want a fancy onboard preamp , the best are Fender CS and USA- made Lakland , and I couldn't really say one was better than the other[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]Lakland are a bit easier to deal with as a company than the bureaucracy of the Fender Custom Shop dealer network , but Fender CS have upped their game as a direct result of such competition by introducing quartersawn necks as standard nowadays ect , and they can make you an authentic Fender to your dream spec if you are specific enough in your mandate to them ( and have the necessary cash). If I wwere you, I would decide what I really wanted from the Custom Shop and then contact a dealer to get a rough idea of the cash price, and then you would at least know what you are dealing with as a proposition.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]Ain't gonna be nuthin' fancy. Requirement #1 = no batteries.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I've been in touch with a Fender Custom Shop rep already and have a tentative price and delivery estimate. I gave myself the weekend to think about it before e-mailing back tomorrow.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"][quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1388958507' post='2328218'][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]I have 2 Fender CS basses and they are just sublime to play and hear. They are also immaculately made from the best woods, etc.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]My perspective and opinion on them is try and buy a good used one and you won't lose out financially if you happen to not like it and want to shift it on.[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]They're quite rare in terms of coming up for sale 2nd hand but that to me is a testament to how good they are![/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]Good luck and I know you're dilemma well. Look where it got me :lol:[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][size="3"]So good you had to buy another one. I don’t have a comeback for that! Thanks everyone.[/size][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1388966348' post='2328344']
I'd spend that amount of money on the best vintage Fender I could find.
[/quote]
Yes, I get that completely.
What I really wanted was a YOB. Tricky year though '66. Early '66 is close enough to Leo chucking the towel in that you could argue it would still be a [i]Fender[/i] Fender, but good examples to my desired spec are quite scarce and a lot dearer than a CS.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1388967707' post='2328358']
What I really wanted was a YOB. Tricky year though '66. Early '66 is close enough to Leo chucking the towel in that you could argue it would still be a [i]Fender[/i] Fender, but good examples to my desired spec are quite scarce and a lot dearer than a CS.
[/quote]

+1. Even more so if you were born pre-CBS!

I would love a Pino Precision but unless I can get one secondhand they tend to cost about £1500 more than some relics in shops at the moment. There was a 59 precision (I think) in guitar guitar which has now gone, and a 64 in Coda music which has also recently gone. To be honest, if/when I have the money I will probably hunt around a few stores. I am quite tempted by the heavy relic jazzes in coda at the moment.

Up until recently I had a Fender Custom shop custom classic jazz bass (Now discontinued) and it was a top class instrument, right up there with my Sadowsky NYC. Sold it on simply because it was too heavy for my screwed up shoulder. However i have come across other models of custom shop jazz basses and did not think they were particularly special.
As for master built custom shop basses, I feel the price they command is an issue, as for similar money it is possible to pick up a vintage pre cbs Fender.
As with everything right now, the used market is well worth investigating.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389023849' post='2328921']
I`ve owned many Fenders, played a whole heap more, and the best of the bunch was a Pino Palladino Sig Precision (one of the ones I`ve played but not owned, sadly).
[/quote]
And never shall (famous last words eh!) :)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1388996258' post='2328445']
Totally agree
Safe investment
[/quote]
As above, I wouldn't disagree with you.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-SUNBURST-MAPLE-CAP-NECK-/181284181797?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a35611725#ht_1031wt_932"]This[/url] almost fits the bill, but it's been around the block a bit.
Getting something a [i]little[/i] cleaner will almost certainly involve a considerable price hike from £4.5k.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389023849' post='2328921']
I`ve owned many Fenders, played a whole heap more, and the best of the bunch was a Pino Palladino Sig Precision (one of the ones I`ve played but not owned, sadly).
[/quote]
Yes, I haven't heard a bad word about them.
[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1389025572' post='2328964']
And never shall (famous last words eh!) :)
[/quote]
Lucky man.

I own a fantastic Fender Custom Shop relic '59 Strat. It's not entirely 'off the peg' as it was built to spec for World Guitars. I tried an example of the same model in Guitar Guitar the other day, this one a 'dealer selected' model. It was completely different, and in my opinion nowhere near as good.

The message: try before you buy!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1388950746' post='2328064']
Since buying a Dingwall I've been GAS free; not even remotely interested in looking at anything else. I was quite happy getting on with the business of learning new material as well as getting to grips with fan frets and my first 5'er for about 20 years. Coupled with the gig/rehearsal madness that is usually accompanied with the last few months of my year, I guess it was that I just didn't have time for GAS.

The lull in my musical year that is January and February has caused me to start feeling GAS-sy, this time in an unexpectedly Fender Custom Shop type direction.[/quote]

Oh dear, that's a bit of a worry........I've just bought a Dingwall, - and so assumed my GAS was cured.
Maybe it's not after all. Too soon to tell yet though....

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1389081044' post='2329569']
Oh dear, that's a bit of a worry........I've just bought a Dingwall, - and so assumed my GAS was cured.
Maybe it's not after all. Too soon to tell yet though....
[/quote]
Ha ha. If nothing else, I think I've learnt that I can never be cured of GAS! It can be abated for a short while, but that's about as good as it's going to get.

I think you should do what your heart tells you. I have absolutely no experience of anything other than the bottom end of the Fender Inc. output so can offer no other words of wisdom (assuming I have any wisdom of course).

My Dingwall has, while not completely curing my GAS, raised the bar very very very high indeed.

Having said that, I'm 50 in April, so thoughts turn again to binning any party arrangements and costs, and to start looking for a YOB Precision. I'd want a maple board, though, so that raises the search level from Hen's Teeth to Rocking Horse Cr*p...probably just as well...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1389205364' post='2331379']
My Dingwall has, while not completely curing my GAS, raised the bar very very very high indeed.
Having said that, I'm 50 in April, so thoughts turn again to binning any party arrangements and costs, and to start looking for a YOB Precision. I'd want a maple board, though, so that raises the search level from Hen's Teeth to Rocking Horse Cr*p...probably just as well...
[/quote]
Exactly. I'm not far behind you. A maple board was also on my check list along with blocks, binding, relic and a couple of other things of which only one didn't get fulfilled.
So guess what I put a deposit down on today?

Dingus - you're not allowed to play as you know already!