Why become a member? ×

Here we go again.......

gjones

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1388918255' post='2327524']
Doesn't deserve to sell that for the glaringly obvious mistake this time! :rolleyes:
[/quote]
What - that she's still too lazy to post it? That was the only real mistake first time around.

Jon.

I was watching this one, partly because I live in Leeds and could have collected it. Would possibly have gone to C£300 which, given the condition and possible issues, I think is about right and would have kept me busy as a project for a while.

I am now just intrigued to see what it reaches but in the words of Duncan Bannatyne, "I'm out".

I wish em luck with the sale though

Guess it's the "friend" she's selling it for, that took the neck off <_<
I just don't get it TBH . A couple of years back, yes, these did seem to be an investment but not now. Even at £400 it's going to cost a good bit more, even if only time, to sort.
Each to there own.

I still think that [b]IF[/b] it's structurally OK under all the crap, and [b]IF[/b] the electronics are a straightforward fix, then it's just about worth £400. Personally though I wouldn't touch it without having a good, proper look at it.

J.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1389000702' post='2328491']
I couldn't sell my [b]mint[/b] white/maple JV Precision on here for £650, and someone will pay £400 for this! Maybe I need to drag mine around the garden and leave it in the rain for a few days... :gas:
[/quote]

Or maybe you need to get in touch with Raygun Relics...

(Am I still allowed to mention them...?)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Taking the neck of is not the smartest move, getting the bolts to make that last bite might be difficult now on old wood, those that fix basses will know, that last little click makes the bass play, once you dog about with the necks on them, sometimes you can never get that grip back on the neck bolts.

To be honest, I am smelling a rat here, the publicity surrounding this appears a "bit too obvious".

I think someone is trying it on with an old dog of a JV and they were some old dogs, make no mistake, some just did not make it, like all basses.

At £400 in this condition it is well beyond what I class as "top book price"

Have you checked out the sellers 'other items'? I don't think there is a rat to smell here, although I guess she could have used the old trick of getting her mate to put the first bid in?! My 73 year old father-in-law is fond of that dodgy technique when he's selling some old bit of crap.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1389100117' post='2329849']
To be honest, I am smelling a rat here, the publicity surrounding this appears a "bit too obvious".
[/quote]

Do you think the seller deliberately engineered this (and the previous) thread on BC to gain financial advantage? :)

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1389100117' post='2329849']
Taking the neck of is not the smartest move, getting the bolts to make that last bite might be difficult now on old wood, those that fix basses will know, that last little click makes the bass play, once you dog about with the necks on them, sometimes you can never get that grip back on the neck bolts.
[/quote]
I really do hope that all makes sense to you.

It's gems like this that makes trawling through all the post on here worthwhile. :lol:

Edited by BetaFunk

Yes perfect sense indeed, the neck holes were not threaded, they were drilled and power driven in, taking the bolts or screws out can leave the wood loose and when you replace them you can not get enough torque tension on them again to clamp the neck down to get a nice body to neck resconance.
Some are ok, some deterioate with age and the more someone dogs about with it the worse it gets.

I have dismantled and rebuilt easily over 100 bolt-neck basses and guitars, most of them 70s Japanese instruments made from significantly inferior timber to 80s Fujigen products - I have never had a problem re-attaching a neck. The screws cut a thread into the timber the first time the neck's attached, re-fitting it cleanly is simply a matter of making sure the screws engage the "threads" cleanly & not over-torqueing.

In the event some ham-fisted numpty did manage to chew the wood up, it's spectacularly easy to plug the old hole with a dowel & re-drill it, anyway.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389140399' post='2330679']
I have dismantled and rebuilt easily over 100 bolt-neck basses and guitars, most of them 70s Japanese instruments made from significantly inferior timber to 80s Fujigen products - I have never had a problem re-attaching a neck. The screws cut a thread into the timber the first time the neck's attached, re-fitting it cleanly is simply a matter of making sure the screws engage the "threads" cleanly & not over-torqueing.

In the event some ham-fisted numpty did manage to chew the wood up, it's spectacularly easy to plug the old hole with a dowel & re-drill it, anyway.

J.
[/quote]

Jon is right, as always.
Squiers are unfortunately associated with cheap tat, i think i destroyed my fair share of great guitars in the 90s, as they were squiers, and therefore needed to be Townsended at the end of the gig.
Sorry.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1389182826' post='2330930']
Jon is right, as always.
i think i destroyed my fair share of great guitars in the 90s, as they were squiers, and therefore needed to be Townsended at the end of the gig.
Sorry.
[/quote]
So you're the reason these Squiers are going for so much nowadays. :lol:

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1389182826' post='2330930']
[b]Jon is right, as always[/b].
Squiers are unfortunately associated with cheap tat, i think i destroyed my fair share of great guitars in the 90s, as they were squiers, and therefore needed to be Townsended at the end of the gig.
Sorry.
[/quote]

I forgive you, if only for your obsequiousness. :D

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389187781' post='2331026']I forgive you, if only for your obsequiousness. :D...[/quote]

No, no; it's not your fault, it's mine. One of my (few..?) pet dislikes, the use of these 'Americanised' versions. Where did our word 'obsequity' go..? We see (and hear, even from Auntie Beeb..!) 'competitiveness' replacing 'competitivity', 'scarceness' instead of 'scarcity'; the list lengthens regularly, it would seem.
No, it's just me, being old and crotchety again. Please ignore... :(

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389191336' post='2331113']
No, no; it's not your fault, it's mine. One of my (few..?) pet dislikes, the use of these 'Americanised' versions. Where did our word 'obsequity' go..? We see (and hear, even from Auntie Beeb..!) 'competitiveness' replacing 'competitivity', 'scarceness' instead of 'scarcity'; the list lengthens regularly, it would seem.
No, it's just me, being old and crotchety again. Please ignore... :(
[/quote]

Crotchet[i]ous [/i]surely? ;)