Why become a member? ×

Here we go again.......

gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388905384' post='2327440']
I'm sayin nuthin!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360829381497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2661[/url]
[/quote]

Fire her off an email, it's gotta be worth £800 LOL ;) :P :rolleyes: :lol:

John :yarr:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1388924130' post='2327603']
I thought it was gonna be cleaned up. restrung and given a good setup? :blink:
Its the same ad with a higher starting price! (Which would cost more in fees to post the ad) :(
[/quote]

Beat me to it!

You're right, it's the same ad just with a higher starting price so it will either not sell, or sell at the price it would have beforehand anyway!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1388924130' post='2327603']
I thought it was gonna be cleaned up. restrung and given a good setup? :blink:
Its the same ad with a higher starting price! (Which would cost more in fees to post the ad) :(
[/quote]

It's been free listing from 25th December to 5th January, so it's cost nothing to list.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388905384' post='2327440']
I'm sayin nuthin!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360829381497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2661[/url]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388926612' post='2327635']
Fashion?

You might have missed 5 pages of discussion about this in a different thread ;)
[/quote]
Check the thread that you're referring to and you'll see that i have contributed to it. If you had read it it could have saved you the time to post your comment.

These basses were cheap in comparison with other Fenders at the the time. I know that because i was around then. They aren't any better now than they were when they were cheap. We now live in a world where most things retro in the guitar and bass world are worth a lot of money.
It's fashionable to have a JV guitar or bass and people fall over themselves to be on that train. It's always been the same. In the 60s you could buy an old grey army coat for pennies on any army surplus shop until the hippies started wearing them and then they were asking £££s for them in Kennsington Market and not because they kept you warm but because they were fashionable.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388938349' post='2327824']
I know you have mate, that was a joke.

I'm just saying it's not the whole JV fashion that's the cause of this bass to be relisted

Anyway I'm not gonna comment much here - don't want this thread locked too.
[/quote]
Sorry but jokes don't come over to well on a forum....... That's a joke by the way! :D

It is nuts how the prices if bass of certain basses has gone though. I Bought an old Japanese made Tune Bass Maniac recently for a fraction of the cost of a JV Fender. When they were both new the Tune was about 4 x as expensive as a JV. Now it's the other way around. Mainly because the Tune is not fashionable, it is though in my opinion a superior bass.

JVs are good but just not that good. I have though enjoy the posts on this one which shows that humour isn't dead on here just yet. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388935365' post='2327778']
Check the thread that you're referring to and you'll see that i have contributed to it. If you had read it it could have saved you the time to post your comment.

These basses were cheap in comparison with other Fenders at the the time. I know that because i was around then. They aren't any better now than they were when they were cheap. We now live in a world where most things retro in the guitar and bass world are worth a lot of money.
It's fashionable to have a JV guitar or bass and people fall over themselves to be on that train. It's always been the same. In the 60s you could buy an old grey army coat for pennies on any army surplus shop until the hippies started wearing them and then they were asking £££s for them in Kennsington Market and not because they kept you warm but because they were fashionable.
[/quote]

I disagree with some of your assessment :) I am no expert but as far as I'm aware the JV's were built as exact replicas of the vintage 57 and 62 instruments, although only the very first ones were finished in nitro. I thought the USA Fenders of the time were not very good, and I thought that they re-started production in the mid 80s having learnt from the Japanese factories how to improve the manufacturing and quality control. My 1987 US strat is very well made.

I have two JVs and they are both better than the more recent MIJ 62p that I have also owned (and sold). I also much prefer them to nearly all the USA Ps I have tried in shops. They also have a good mojo about them being 30 years old and all that.

I am no virtuoso bass player, but I think for £600 to £700 a JV is a great instrument for not a lot of money. I disagree that its a fashion thing, as the Squier brand now is decidedly unfashionable and associated with cheapness!

However I would definitely NOT buy the bass under discussion in this thread for £400!!

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1388948220' post='2328009']
I disagree with some of your assessment :) I am no expert but as far as I'm aware the JV's were built as exact replicas of the vintage 57 and 62 instruments, although only the very first ones were finished in nitro. I thought the USA Fenders of the time were not very good, and I thought that they re-started production in the mid 80s having learnt from the Japanese factories how to improve the manufacturing and quality control. My 1987 US strat is very well made.

I have two JVs and they are both better than the more recent MIJ 62p that I have also owned (and sold). I also much prefer them to nearly all the USA Ps I have tried in shops. They also have a good mojo about them being 30 years old and all that.

I am no virtuoso bass player, but I think for £600 to £700 a JV is a great instrument for not a lot of money. I disagree that its a fashion thing, as the Squier brand now is decidedly unfashionable and associated with cheapness!

However I would definitely NOT buy the bass under discussion in this thread for £400!!
[/quote]
JVs are great basses and just because i think that they are fashionable doesn't mean they aren't great basses. I just think that there are a lot of other basses out there that are good but simply not fashionable and hence not worth anywhere near what they would be if they were in fashion. These JVs were always great basses even when new and excellent value. The music press knew that and Fender eventually caught on and realised it too and over the years have become more and more collectable. The word Squier may be unfashionable now but every bass players knows what a JV Squier is and it has become a cult object in the bass world.

The same thing seems to be happening with Shergolds and Haymans at the moment. A few years ago you couldn't give these away mainly because they were out of fashion but now they've gone through the roof. I doubt if the price of the Shergold Marathon 6 would have climbed as high they are now if it wasn't for Peter Hook. Kids have got into old Joy Division and New Order records and that has sparked a massive interest in them. In the 90s these stood for months in music shops because no one wanted them.
Rather amusingly in a thread on BC recently some said that the Robert Smith was the most famous Fender Bass VI player ever. I suppose for many guitar and bass players of a certain age he is but of course there were many famous players using these years before most of them were born and the fact they are fashionable has undoubtable a lot to do with Bob.

What we've got to work out nowTed is what the next 'most wanted' basses are and we've cleaned up.

P.S. I've got a shed full of pointy 80s & 90s Jacksons and Washburns so fingers crossed. :lol: