Why become a member? ×

Can anyone recommend a Squier?

Lord Sausage

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1388590658' post='2323734']
Both the Vintage Modified Jazz and the Deluxe Jazz Active basses get good reviews - I've got the latter as a 4 string version and am very happy with it - the 3 band EQ plus slap switch offer bags of potential for varied tones.
[/quote]

This^^^ Assuming it has to be new? I recently bought one of the Deluxe Jazz Bass IV (nearly new) and am really impressed with it. I prefer active basses so would always pitch this over the VM or CV ranges.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1388606212' post='2323999']
VMJ's are great basses for few £s.
[/quote] I agree on a slightly different note why not try the Vintage brand of basses? I have had these and squiers and can say that hands down I think they are better than the squiers they have Wilkinson hardware and PUPs and I think they are cheaper also

I'm a big fan of the James Johnston Classic Vibe jazz bass. It looks great (lake placid blue is lovely IMO) and the quality is superb (the matching headstock is a nice touch too). I also really like the Classic Vibe '60s Precision too!

For a guitarist for home recording I'd eve suggest an Affinity Precision. I borrowed one from my guitarist a couple of years ago and once I'd overcome my own snobbery it became my main gigging bass for a while, until he wanted it back.

Cheap, but good and can be improved with a new pickup.

Lord, are you helping him choose one in a shop? I ask because from what I've read on BC, not all VMs are good right from the factory, whereas the CVs reportedly can be bought unseen. CV is more expensive than VM though.
The Affinitys I've seen locally were slightly shoddily put together, and I did not have the knowledge to judge them. You could though, so if you're helping him you could find him an Affinity - which is clearly cheaper than a VM.

That or used of course, in which case it has already been said above.

FWiW, I have three CVs (two 50s Ps and a 60s J), and to noob me they seem perfect or near perfect. A real bassist played my 60s Jazz, and was more impressed with that than with my lim.ed. Bongo.

Edited by BassTractor

I own a VM Precision (in Amber with the Maple body and board) and have tried a bunch of Affinity P's and a couple of CV 60's P's.

In short, I would probably buy the VM again rather than an Affinity/CV. The electronics in the Affinity basses are usually pretty shocking so would need swapping out, otherwise they're decent basses.

The CV basses are near-flawless but I'm not a fan of the finish on the neck (very heavy gloss finish) and when I was in the market I couldn't quite justify the extra £65.

All that said there's no substitute for getting down to a shop and playing all of the basses in the right price range and going for the one that feels right.

If he's a guitarist by trade, it may be worth suggesting him trying a VM Jaguar short scale! The necks are obviously shorter, thus feeling more like a guitar. plus, the necks are very slim, again making it feel like a guitar. They are decent bass's, with decent tonal range.

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1388691104' post='2324951']
If he's a guitarist by trade, it may be worth suggesting him trying a VM Jaguar short scale! The necks are obviously shorter, thus feeling more like a guitar. plus, the necks are very slim, again making it feel like a guitar. They are decent bass's, with decent tonal range.
[/quote] Thats a pretty good point :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1388675194' post='2324654']
Lord, are you helping him choose one in a shop? I ask because from what I've read on BC, not all VMs are good right from the factory, whereas the CVs reportedly can be bought unseen. CV is more expensive than VM though.
The Affinitys I've seen locally were slightly shoddily put together, and I did not have the knowledge to judge them. You could though, so if you're helping him you could find him an Affinity - which is clearly cheaper than a VM.

That or used of course, in which case it has already been said above.

FWiW, I have three CVs (two 50s Ps and a 60s J), and to noob me they seem perfect or near perfect. A real bassist played my 60s Jazz, and was more impressed with that than with my lim.ed. Bongo.
[/quote]
cheers Bert, I'll probably go with him So thanks for the heads up on VM's.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1388613851' post='2324135']
Nice one. thanks guys.
[/quote]

Not being funny but have you looked in to any of the many Squier threads on here yet?

I'd have though there was already more than enough info about the current Squier's on here already to give you the answer you are looking for.

My opinion, for what its worth is these are more than just back up/home basses. Ive gigged Squier's exclusively for the past 4 year now and have no intention of spending any more than these cost on a bass in the future. I just don't see the need.