Why become a member? ×

Anyone Watching Jools Tonight?

Hobbayne

I shall definitely watch again next year - unless shock horror - a NYE gig crops up - but I must say the channel hopping experience was quite good this year. Thank The Lord the been haven't gone all retro 60s and do the White Heather Club with Andy Stewart or similar - a nightmare of childhood days!!

Edited by drTStingray

Was ill over new year so only just got round to watching this, thought it was much much better than usual.

The sound seems to be better too now they've moved to their new studio.

Surprised at all the negativity on here really, what do you people actually want from a New Years show?

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1388741133' post='2325381']
Was ill over new year so only just got round to watching this, thought it was much much better than usual.

The sound seems to be better too now they've moved to their new studio.

Surprised at all the negativity on here really, what do you people actually want from a New Years show?
[/quote]

They want a duet with Marvin Gaye and Karen Carpenter, backed by God Speed You Black Emperor with James Jamerson on bass. It's the only thing that will satisfy them.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388741971' post='2325391']
They want a duet with Marvin Gaye and Karen Carpenter, backed by God Speed You Black Emperor with James Jamerson on bass. It's the only thing that will satisfy them.
[/quote]

Bah! Worst show ever!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388665522' post='2324473']
He could have had Dot Wiggin from the Shaggs who has currently got a new album out:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDirbJbNew[/media]
[/quote]
There you go then. No excuses next year for Jools 'Mr Bloody Boogie Woogie' Holland.

Perhaps Jools could accompany Dot on his boogie woogie (what else? i hear you ask :rolleyes: ) piano. That would be a thrill.

I was checking the website of Dave Swift and I thought to myself that this man has one of the best jobs on earth (ànd deserves it).
But then I started listening to some live clips of the "Later" show again and it struck me as always that the drums are on a level I wouldn't be too enthousiastic about.. Pity that someone like Swift has to settle with an "inferior" rhythm partner...

Perhaps if one wishes to indulge in televised live music of the eve of the new year then this could be an option. Instead of Jools, purchase a Dvd of your favourite band playing live, watch this and at midnight raise a glass and all will be merry and happy. :)

And another thing, can you get the £14k bass at a significantly reduced price if you don't have to pay Anthony Jackson's appearance fee to present it to you - much as it would be very nice to meet him of course. Can't be cheap though flying him in from the states with the bass for presentation ;-)

Edited by drTStingray

I'm sure the irony is not only lost on me that most of the negative contributors to this thread would rather carp about other Bassists and musicians who were out playing on NYE (OK, it was recorded earlier) whilst they are sat at home not playing....could be why Swifty can afford a £14k Bass perhaps? ;)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1388793625' post='2326282']
I'm sure the irony is not only lost on me that most of the negative contributors to this thread would rather carp about other Bassists and musicians who were out playing on NYE (OK, it was recorded earlier) whilst they are sat at home not playing....could be why Swifty can afford a £14k Bass perhaps? ;)
[/quote]

Maybe. I think a few of us need to chin up - it was NYE, a bit of tv and some light entertainment. Nothing to take to heart :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1388793625' post='2326282']
[/quote]

This! :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388794285' post='2326289']
Happy New Year you depressing bastard.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Meddle took his misery seriously and sat through the entire programme paying close attention so as to be able to construct such a fine rant. Most people encountering such a dismal programme would have changed channels, but not Meddle. Now [u]that's[/u] dedication! ;)

OK guys I guess this thread is done. I'm pretty tired of the negativity in this thread and think some of you could do with cheering up, or using your remote control.

I'm locking this one down to let some people cool off. We have had a number of complaints from people about the thread and with limited resources to deal with specific issues I'm going to let this one die.

Please feel free to PM if you would like to discuss further... and happy 2014...