Why become a member? ×

Anyone Watching Jools Tonight?

Hobbayne

I Sky +'d it, and flicked through it at great speed this morning.

Another Hootenanny, and for me another dreary and predictable line-up. Couple of odd bits, but majority was just same old.

Not really a fan of Haim, but agree that the Bassface is somewhat mesmerizing! Though I prefer the main singer TBH.... B)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Heard on the radio this morning that they film it in August. I know it's far from live, but quite amazed - but not [/size]surprised[size=4] -at that if it's true![/size]

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1388563601' post='2323404']
Darn all that diversity of music that Jools and his mates bring to our TV screens .

I say bring back New Years with Andy Stuart and Moira Anderson - you knew were you were in those halcyon days! :blink:

[/quote]
Comparing it to last nights offering it was indeed halcyon days. :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1388573678' post='2323460']

[size=4]Heard on the radio this morning that they film it in August. I know it's far from live, but quite amazed - but not [/size]surprised[size=4] -at that if it's true![/size]
[/quote]

It is pre-filmed but not in August, lol.

Rehearsals didn't start until 9th December!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1388576622' post='2323494']

[/quote]

I was a bit unsure when I heard it TBH....but when it comes to the BBC, you never know! :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1388576622' post='2323494']

[/quote]

If they filmed it in August every year they would end up looking tw*ts eventually when one of the older guests or performers dies before NYE!

I really enjoyed it (mostly)... I thought John Newman was unbelievably poor but enjoyed rudimentals without him. Lumineers were a bit pointless, they could have just put a YouTube clip on instead as it was pretty much an identical performance to the recording. Mel C has an alright voice and was ok but showed her popster approach to performance as she lacked any connection to the song and looking like her movements were a bit false, especially when compared to how amazing, soulful and natural Ruby and Charlie were.

Dave swifts Fodera was HUGE and he's a big guy but it sounded great, his playing (as always) was brilliant and his Aguilar stack is just another source of GAS!!

Everyone else was great. I particularly enjoyed Laura Mvula and pretty much watched it because of Haim! All in all, it was pretty good :-)

Watched it until 12.05. I thought it was pants. Haim-didn't like. Ray Davies, overwhelmed by band or pissed, or both. Rudimental were just that and as for their featured vocalists, well don't get me started… Pipers were ok. Guess I'm just not down with the kids, if I ever was.

Enjoyed most of it myself - shame about Ray Davies though :unsure:. First time I've seen Rudimentals and Haim and pretty impressed with both. John Newman I couldn't get on with though - what a godawful voice (whiney, nasal and insipid - just my opinion of course). Less said about The Proclaimers the better IMHO; I've never understood the appeal.

Love the sound of DS's Fodera as well - sounded awesome on our ss system!

Happy New Year to one and all. :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1388576199' post='2323489']
I didn't make it to the opening credits, I'd been experimenting with Cider and Whiskey...I can't remember the results.
[/quote]YEE and closely followed by HAR!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1388581785' post='2323576']
Mel C has an alright voice and was ok but showed her popster approach to performance as she lacked any connection to the song and looking like her movements were a bit false, especially when compared to how amazing, soulful and natural Ruby and Charlie were.
[/quote]Now I found her movements good fun and thought that Charlie missed some cues throwing the arrangements awry, but hey different strokes for different folks. I thought Haim were good, but better on their first appearance.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1388542500' post='2323353']
I thought that's what all radio DJ's did ?

I had the misfortune a short while ago to be stuck in a car travelling for 6 hours, not my car and not me driving.
I had to put up with Chris Evans (this is way before my usual wake up time too :D ), who has to be the most annoying person on the planet, this was followed by some scots dick who I think was suffering from dementia. Then some abysmal phone in show, where lots of people who almost certainly read the Daily mail and haven't quite woken up to the fact that the year is 2013 phoned up and talked nonsense, then there was to cap it all, as if the previous 3 hadn't been bad, Steve Wright !
[/quote]
I feel your pain. I had to put up with that at work for years. When i did complain they all said 'Wassup. Don'tcha like moosic?'. I tried to explain that that was the problem. I like music too much perhaps.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1388581288' post='2323562']
A lot of the singing was off last night, wonder if they had monitor issues.
[/quote]

I only caught Ray Davies and thought his voice was very poor. He was definitely struggling with some of the higher notes. I'd like to think it was monitor issues but I'm wondering if age is catching up with him. Shame to see a legend in decline.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1388583209' post='2323598']

Love the sound of DS's Fodera as well
[/quote]Indeed. Whatever one's opinions on the aesthetics of the beast (I quite like it; well it looked OK on Mr Swift as he is a large gent) you can't argue with the sound it made, just right for my ears.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1388535701' post='2323267']
Ray Davies was a bit off key :mellow:
[/quote]

If he hadn't had ten backing singers all singing in perfect pitch, it wouldn't have been as noticable...

Haim bassface was fantastic, Mel C gave a good account of herself.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1388539680' post='2323326']
Everyone should be made to play one of these at some point in their playing career - absolutely sublime experience :)
[/quote]

Just don't look in the mirror while doing so.

I forgot about John Newman. How is it possible to sing so incomprehensively? "Merg werg wergle merg umba merg"...

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1388533224' post='2323241']
I see Mr Swift is using a singlecut Fodera.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch, doh!
[/quote]

Yes a £14k Fodera Anthony Jackson model to be precise

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/11687408596/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/11687408596/]Fodera Anthony Jackson[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/fcamardo_night_time_photography/]F. Camardo Photography™ © 2014[/url], on Flickr

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388585011' post='2323646']
I only caught Ray Davies and thought his voice was very poor. He was definitely struggling with some of the higher notes. I'd like to think it was monitor issues but I'm wondering if age is catching up with him. Shame to see a legend in decline.
[/quote]

I don't recall Ray Davies ever being known for his perfect pitch, but having said that...

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised when older singers struggle vocally. We get get the same comments regarding Paul McCartney. Yet, we're not surprised when an athlete starts to slow down when they reach their 30s. The sad fact is, the voice is controlled by muscles and as with any muscles, they deteriorate with age.

FWIW I thought the show was ok. Seemed to be a reasonable cross-section. I can never really understand how Jools Holland has managed to front a show for all these years - guess we're kinda used to him!

It was awful, every other song seemed to be Rudimental featuring someone or other, and each one semed to be exactly the same as the last! Mel C sounded great - imagine her fronting a proper bluesy rock band. Jools boogieing over everything as usual. Distinct lack of party atmosphere in general really. I did enjoy Haim's Fleetwood Mac cover though.