Why become a member? ×

Versatile Bass players

BetaFunk

Cleveland Eaton is an interesting Bass Player. I doubt that he was ever out of work. He played with Ramsey Lewis, Count Basie and many others plus numerous recording sessions and also recorded as a leader what must have been decent selling LPs in the 70s/80s Jazz Funk era.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that Maurice White later of Earth Wind & Fire was the drummer with the Ramsey Lewis Trio at the time Eaton played with him.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHEWFdhEMc[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5TjU-3FEU[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1388522544' post='2323148']
Trevor Dunns versatility always inspires me.
[/quote]
Yes it's impressive.

I was wondering about versatile bass players when listening to a podcast interview with Chuck Rainey. He said that as a working musician he never questioned what the job was when he got the call, he just went and did it. He also said that he didn't really slap but when the job called for it he slapped. Some bass players are known for their style but many more are known for not one style but the ability to play all styles.

Edited by BetaFunk

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1388523498' post='2323157']
What about Timothy B Schmit from The Eagles? He can play Country, Rock, and a nice fretless bass part on New York Minuite
[/quote]

I always thought Pino played on New York Minute.
Either way, really nice playing and both very versatile players.

I have tired to be versatile and not said no to many gigs. I love all music and still have lots to learn.

I think Pino has to take the crown. These are the associated acts from his wikipedia page, which barely mentions the lesser known US R & B and neo soul acts he's worked with in the last 10 years.

The Who, John Mayer Trio, The RH Factor, The Law, Spinal Tap, Jools Holland, Paul Young, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Richard Ashcroft, D'Angelo, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Roger Daltrey, Hank Marvin, Simon & Garfunkel, Erykah Badu, Adele, Nine Inch Nails, Joan Armatrading, Geraint Jarman, Mango, Gary Numan

Edited by Cato

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1458329592' post='3006778']
Dave Swift???
[/quote]

Yep. His work with Jools Holland sees him playing half a dozen different styles every week. Not to mention all the other stuff he does.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1458308446' post='3006455']

I always thought Pino played on New York Minute.
Either way, really nice playing and both very versatile players.
[/quote]

Pino played on Henley's original recording, Timmy Schmit played on the Hell Freezes Over, Eagles version.

The Prodigy's bassist / guitarist Rob Holloway is quite an interesting one. He's popped up all over the place (started with Curve in the 90s and has since played guitar and / or bass with Gary Numan, The Mission, Marilyn Manson, The Prodigy and Emma Hewitt as well as fronted his own band, Sulpher).

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1458308078' post='3006447']
I'd put Leland Sklar in the 'versatile' bracket. One minute James Taylor, the next Billy Cobham.
[/quote]

And then the next, Phil Collins... I was going to nominate Mr Sklar too.

I'll add Abe Laboriel too. Whether on film soundtracks, working with the Q, Donald Fagen, laying it down for a Dismey song or funk fusioning it with his own group Koinonia he's never less than wonderful!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1388523498' post='2323157']
What about Timothy B Schmit from The Eagles? He can play Country, Rock, and a nice fretless bass part on New York Minuite
[/quote]

He has to, to make up for his terrible singing ;)