Why become a member? ×

Prince Live.

bubinga5

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388480715' post='2322370']
Wonderful, thanks for that, Prince is fabulous, but I don't listen to him much these days, I should listen to more.
[/quote]

+1
I've never listened to him that much but whenever I've seen him on TV or YouTube he's been fantastic. I should also listen to him more.

Anyone have any suggestions of the best CDs or DVDs to start with, for someone who has none of his material?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388516558' post='2323016']
+1
I've never listened to him that much but whenever I've seen him on TV or YouTube he's been fantastic. I should also listen to him more.

Anyone have any suggestions of the best CDs or DVDs to start with, for someone who has none of his material?
[/quote]

Sign of the Times
probably the best record ever made by (predominantly) one person

The Rainbow Children
out there but deep grooves

Parade
Poptastic

Come
overlooked because it was in his difficult corporate era. Bland/Thompson are fierce.

Lovesexy/Black

Lovesexy is the commercial release, George Clinton in full effect
Black is Black but some serious Bass chops from Prince and Levi Searcer Jr

Avoid NPG, Rave2theJoy

Prince association , Wendy&Lisa. both probably geniuses
quite like Nikka Costa, light funk/pop
MadHouse or anything with Eric Leeds on

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388516558' post='2323016']

[/quote]

+1 one to the above mentioned 'Sign of the Times' and 'Parade', but IMO, other Prince albums worth hearing in their entirety would include:

'Dirty Mind'
'1999'
'Purple Rain' ( a genius pop masterpiece in my view)
'LoveSexy'

There are always brilliant tracks on most Prince Albums, even if the album itself isn't great overall. For example, the free album he did about 4 years ago that was distributed by the Daily Mail had some fantastic tunes on it..

As for his live performances and musicianship, the shows I've seen over the years have been extraordinary! I remember seeing the LoveSexy tour back in the late '80s and it was just unbelievable. His singing, guitar playing and abilities as a pianist were peerless.

Above and beyond that for me though are his abilities as a songwriter - sometimes overlooked because his personality and showmanship tends to grab all the headlines. Songs like 'Sign of the Times', 'Kiss', 'When Doves Cry' are classics! But there are lots of other gems in his catalogue too.. Check out 'Condition of the Heart' from the 'Paisley Park' album or 'Do U Lie' from 'Parade - fabulous.

The other thing that I think is worth mentioning about Prince is his influence on other artists and musicians.. Not sure who said it but there's a saying about truly great artists being a 'barometer for their times' and I think that's definitely true of Prince during the 1980s, just as it was for Bowie in the 1970s and the Beatles in the 1960s.. All subjective of course, but that's my 2p worth.

Nice thread btw bubinga5..

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1388552007' post='2323389']

Sign of the Times
probably the best record ever made by (predominantly) one person

The Rainbow Children
out there but deep grooves

Parade
Poptastic

Come
overlooked because it was in his difficult corporate era. Bland/Thompson are fierce.

Lovesexy/Black

Lovesexy is the commercial release, George Clinton in full effect
Black is Black but some serious Bass chops from Prince and Levi Searcer Jr

Avoid NPG, Rave2theJoy

Prince association , Wendy&Lisa. both probably geniuses
quite like Nikka Costa, light funk/pop
MadHouse or anything with Eric Leeds on
[/quote]

The Rainbow Children is almost a bit too much on the religious overtones for me. However, musically I absolutely love it and don't read too much into the lyrics. The drumming, by John Blackwell, is superb. Prince always uses amazing musicians, but john Blackwell is something else. He has a fabulous groove and jaziness to his playing. So I agree that the rainbow children album is great to listen to. It is a shame it is overlooked quite a lot.

Genius but a bit odd to say the least (like many genius are I suppose!)Parade is my favourite album. Saw a couple of the O2 shows a few years ago and they were superb. There's a rumour he's about to announce some UK dates and i can only recommend that you try to see him live if you can.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1388866152' post='2327182']
Genius but a bit odd to say the least (like many genius are I suppose!)Parade is my favourite album. Saw a couple of the O2 shows a few years ago and they were superb. There's a rumour he's about to announce some UK dates and i can only recommend that you try to see him live if you can.
[/quote]odd is interesting for me.