Why become a member? ×

JV Pbass.. Scam or Clueless???

Nibody

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1388835351' post='2326546']
The point is, you would know its a rare one off and would make a judgement on what it's worth based on that.

If you had inherited a vinyl collection, took it to be valued and the valuer/buyer said 'it's all just average stuff, I'll give you £100 for the lot' knowing that there was in fact a rare one off vinyl in your collection worth £1000, he's essentially scamming you, knowing you'll base your decision on what YOU think it's worth and what you'd be RELATIVELY happy with. IF the same valuer said 'you've got a £1000 vinyl in here!' your expectation would immediately change, and rightly so.

Buying an item from a clueless seller on ebay who is selling on behalf of a friend (therefore having no knowledge of what they are selling) whilst knowing its true value but trying to take advantage is up to you and your moral compass. However, you can't complain if someone with different morals then informs the seller and they change the expectations of what they want for it (however accurate their new idea of its value is) as that's the seller's right.
[/quote]

I see what you're saying, I think maybe I just am more inclined to see both parties happy, than to see an item fulfill its alleged value.

I could be biased towards this view due to what I mentioned previously, seeing my parents have stress through trying to assess and fulfill the value of a load of vinyl that they inherited.

To me, they didn't ever want the vinyl that they are now in possession of, they never spent a penny on any of it, they will never and have never listened to any of it... But if I now ever mention selling it to my mother (or even as I wanted them to, give it away to a true collector and fan who would enjoy it) she gets upset.

I predict that it will still be taking up the majority of their spare room storage space further down the line when they are no longer with us :(

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388834496' post='2326528']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-JV-Precision-Bass-Guitar-1982-Made-in-Japan-With-Hard-Case-/221293535432?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item33861f60c8&nma=true&si=pAliMJ9a3yndIlGndU21PIRmdAk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-Fender-Squier-JV-Precision-Bass-Guitar-Made-in-Japan-1983-/261328069656?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd85de418&nma=true&si=pAliMJ9a3yndIlGndU21PIRmdAk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]
[/quote]

And here's another. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-JV-Precision-Bass-1982-Made-in-Japan-Sunburst-Tort-/111209198543?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252B5xUEv2TR8r6L8O%252FdyWWX1hTRLM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]

edit: Interestingly, I personally I don't think they are worth this much. I think they are worth around about the same as a any good MIJ Bass. A Geddy goes for about £450, which is a top class bass. Why would a JV Squier go for any more.
But there are 'collectors' out there who will pay over the odds for an early 80's Squier. As these auctions (and sales on basschat testify to). Maybe they have owned them in the past and know something I don't.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388837027' post='2326581']
And here's another. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-JV-Precision-Bass-1982-Made-in-Japan-Sunburst-Tort-/111209198543?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252B5xUEv2TR8r6L8O%252FdyWWX1hTRLM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]
[/quote]

Aye. But that one didn't sell. The sale was ended by the seller (lost or broken). I was looking for ones that had sold, but then again, you can never be too sure.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388837027' post='2326581']
[/quote]

Yes mate and that's exactly my point

Those basses sold for £550 to £799, and one on here for £650
All 4 in great condition as can be seen from the photos and description
That is why I keep insisting you have deluded the seller he should expect £700 after new strings and a polish up, because the bass in question is in poor condition and as stated "not working with an amp"
Even with a polish up this bass is nowhere near as nice as the examples presented.
Your opinion resulted in cancelling the auction early when a few people were bidding despite the state of the bass.

Now the seller expects to sell his bass for an unreasonable price because you advised so.
That's all my point is.

Within the eBay Weird and Wonderful forum here on BC our members regularly contact sellers to give advice, ask questions, make offers or correct inaccurate/ misleading listings (the current Hofner thread being one of the latter categories). That will not change . eBay is eBay and items evaporate in front of our very eyes and not necessarily for the reasons that we may think.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388837202' post='2326584']
Aye. But that one didn't sell. The sale was ended by the seller (lost or broken). I was looking for ones that had sold, but then again, you can never be too sure.
[/quote]

Actually I know the story of that one. It was picked up on gumtree by a basschatter for £150 (by another clueless seller) and put up for auction on ebay the very next day for £665. I don't know if he still has it or not as it's not listed on his profile any longer.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388837701' post='2326596']

Actually I know the story of that one. It was picked up on gumtree by a basschatter for £150 (by another clueless seller) and put up for auction on ebay the very next day for £665. I don't know if he still has it or not as it's not listed on his profile any longer.
[/quote]

It's a scam, Jim but not as we know it!

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388835436' post='2326550']
That's where Gareth has done wrong.
[/quote]

What Gareth has done wrong is to tell us what he did. There was obviously a lot of interest in the bass and I'm betting Gareth wasn't the only one who messaged the seller with their opinions. Only they are not being berated on a public forum, because they kept quiet about it. It may well be the case that the seller (or the owner of the bass) pulled the listing for reasons other than Gareth's message. We don't know.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1388837600' post='2326593']
Within the eBay Weird and Wonderful forum here on BC our members regularly contact sellers to give advice, ask questions, make offers or correct inaccurate/ misleading listings (the current Hofner thread being one of the latter categories). That will not change . eBay is eBay and items evaporate in front of our very eyes and not necessarily for the reasons that we may think.
[/quote]

I agree, but does that justify contacting a seller advising a wrong price (given the examples of how much these go in a nice shape)?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388753991' post='2325578']

[color=#000000]Here you go. It will be re-listed, possibly after a cleanup and a restringing.

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Hi Gareth, yes I decided to end it now I know a bit more about them and I'll relist it with a better description. Lucy[/size][/font]

[size=2][b][font=arial, sans-serif]- vwluvbug09[/font][/b][/size] [font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]Reply in your email program or through My Messages[/b][/size][/font] [url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m44.l1154/7?euid=605e7c780fbb4776bc6690b99f15d209&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcontact.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FM2MContact%26item%3D360823222312%26requested%3Dvwluvbug09%26qid%3D744510938014%26redirect%3D0%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1154"][/url] [/color]

[color=#000000] [font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]Dear vwluvbug09,[/b]

How did the sale go Lucy. Did you decide to pull it because of the low bidding? Or did you get an a decent offer from elsewhere you couldn't turn down?

It's a very nice bass and a bit of TLC will turn it into an instrument somebody will be proud of.

Cheers

Gareth[/size][/font] [/color]
[/quote]

Allow me to remind

That is the way of the world. The seller can take or leave the advice. At the end of the day they still have not sold the bass and the marketplace will ultimately pay what the marketplace feels the bass is worth. So far in this thread I have seen nothing that factually ties Gareth's communication with the sale being pulled. A huge assumption has been made here.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388838032' post='2326608']
Allow me to remind
[/quote]

Sure, but that doesn't prove that she pulled the listing solely because of Gareth's message alone.
And there is no answer to Gareth's question about why she pulled the listing or whether she got a decent offer elsewhere.

Yes of course, the market makes the price, not the seller nor buyer. Especially when it's an auction we're talking about.

Still I would restrain myself for contacting sellers advising them unreasonable price for their goods especially when I haven't done my research before doing it and then proudly announce what I've done expecting praise. I don't know if Gareth's communication has caused the premature end but regardless I don't think it's right to ill advise sellers in any case.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388838491' post='2326617']
I don't think it's right to ill-advise sellers in any case.
[/quote]

Perhaps you're right, but that depends on your interpretation of ill-advice. Everyone is subject to a torrent of 'advice' from many sources. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not to act on it, and how. [size=4]Gareth messaged the seller in good faith thinking he was doing the right thing and that's the real point, in my humble opinion. [/size][size=4]It's very easy to make a judgement after the fact. :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

Unless Gareth was the one who logged in to the item listing and ended the auction, you don't really have an argument. It's the seller that you have the problem with because they are no longer willing to sell it for what you want to pay. Either pay what the seller wants or find another bass that is for sale at the amount you want to spend.

To publicly blame Gareth for a decision that the seller made is unfair and more importantly unproven.

Edited by skej21

What I am blaming Gareth for is advising the seller that this particular bass is worth £500-£700 when a mint examples have been sold for as little as £550.
Doesn't matter if that affected seller's decision (I believe it has)

There's no way I can see this act as "justice" or "honesty"

If you're trying to help someone out of the hole don't hand them a hollow stick

I'm really looking forward to see this bass relisted and how much it's gonna go for.

Gareth, a personal question mate. Do you still think this bass is worth £500-700 given the last mint example of £550? Considering its condition and the fact it's not working?

Edited by Steff