Why become a member? ×

JV Pbass.. Scam or Clueless???

Nibody

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-SPARES-REPAIR-/360823222312?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5402bd7028"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-SPARES-REPAIR-/360823222312?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5402bd7028[/url]

Im undecided!

I think it's kosher. The seller usually sells jumble sale tat. I've sent a message to say she's better off ending the auction, giving it a clean and maybe getting a local music shop to restring and test it. That way she's more likely to get top dollar for it. Whether she'll take my advice or not, I don't know.......probably not.

Looks fine to me but I'm a bit worried about the condition of the neck. Judging by the way it looks it might have been stored in some shed or a basement along with some junk and I won't be surprised if the neck has developed a nice curve. It definitely doesn't look like a bedroom bass.

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1388334659' post='2320881']
How can you tell from the photos that the necks possibly warped? Not disputing it at all....just that I'm buggered if I can tell! I need your expert advices!!
[/quote]
Using an optical micrometer I measured the angle of incidence created by the shadow of the strings on the fretboard. I then divided this by the number of frets illustrated giving me a sloping gradient of .2ml/inch, this of course is not accounting for error of parallax which would possibly increase or decrease the factor depending on the viewing angle. 🍰

There's no reason to believe the neck's warped. There's also no reason to believe it's a scam, either, in fact I'm struggling to understand exactly how it could be a scam. The seller has masses of mostly-good feedback and clearly sells on Ebay all the time - they currently have 130+ items listed. Chances are, the bass' owner doesn't have an Ebay account and just happens to know this person.

Thisn is a straight-up auction for a beat-up JV that's been in someone's loft for the last 20 years, and prior to that, has had a hard life of abuse & neglect like 99% of budget, second-best, throwaway cheap JapCrap instruments.

It's always good to remind oneself how these instruments were seen in their day, and why it is they're so scarce now. Most of them will have been chucked in landfills decades ago.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1388337111' post='2320919']
There's no reason to believe the neck's warped. There's also no reason to believe it's a scam, either, in fact I'm struggling to understand exactly how it could be a scam. The seller has masses of mostly-good feedback and clearly sells on Ebay all the time - they currently have 130+ items listed. Chances are, the bass' owner doesn't have an Ebay account and just happens to know this person.

Thisn is a straight-up auction for a beat-up JV that's been in someone's loft for the last 20 years, and prior to that, has had a hard life of abuse & neglect like 99% of budget, second-best, throwaway cheap JapCrap instruments.

It's always good to remind oneself how these instruments were seen in their day, and why it is they're so scarce now. Most of them will have been chucked in landfills decades ago.

Jon.
[/quote]

In so far as an extremely brief check on the net would suggest to those uninformed that people are willing to pay well over the odds for a JV series Squier, so from someone who obviously sells a lot on Fleabay to show little knowledge, be selling it for a friend, etc etc just seems odd. So could it be it has serious issues, the seller is well aware what it is and is playing off people's wanting to get one cheap to sell on for a profit by playing dumb?

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1388341667' post='2321004']
In so far as an extremely brief check on the net would suggest to those uninformed that people are willing to pay well over the odds for a JV series Squier, so from someone who obviously sells a lot on Fleabay to show little knowledge, be selling it for a friend, etc etc just seems odd. So could it be it has serious issues, the seller is well aware what it is and is playing off people's wanting to get one cheap to sell on for a profit by playing dumb?
[/quote]
I suppose it's possible I'm sure but a lot of people will pay serious money for a JV, whatever the condition. It's certainly true of other "rare" instruments - a few years back I sold the carcass of a 70s MIJ Rickenfaker - just the neck/body, top horn cut off, badly refinished, frets ripped out - for around £200, which was about £50 less than good, complete ones were going for at the time. It was pretty much useless and I was quite clear about that, but there was still a bidding war for it.

Regarding this seller, I think it's likely that if they had an interest in or knowledge of musical instruments that would be reflected in their listings. This bass is the only instrument listed, and going back over their history, all I could find was a Fenix P/J bass sold for £103 back in August:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENIX-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-BY-YOUNG-CHANG-/360715840538"]http://www.ebay.co.u...G-/360715840538[/url]

The bass looks pretty tidy, the listing is about as informative as that for the JV, and £100-odd for one of these was a steal!

J.

It doesn't look like a scam to me and I think they are right to hold out if they are not sure of its value - given the condition - they also invite potential punters to come and have a look at it in the Q&A section. I'm tempted - could be a nice winter project.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1388349974' post='2321147']
It doesn't look like a scam to me and I think they are right to hold out if they are not sure of its value - given the condition - they also invite potential punters to come and have a look at it in the Q&A section. I'm tempted - could be a nice winter project.
[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1388335688' post='2320896']

Using an optical micrometer I measured the angle of incidence created by the shadow of the strings on the fretboard. I then divided this by the number of frets illustrated giving me a sloping gradient of .2ml/inch, this of course is not accounting for error of parallax which would possibly increase or decrease the factor depending on the viewing angle. 🍰
[/quote]

Ah....splendid! I thought it looked a gnats cock away from being level....maybe the nut needed filing down and some wholly inappropriate pickup sticking in it.......hold on....you don't know my guitar restoring mate do you?....his names mark......???😁

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1388362410' post='2321310']

Ah....splendid! I thought it looked a gnats cock away from being level....maybe the nut needed filing down and some wholly inappropriate pickup sticking in it.......hold on....you don't know my guitar restoring mate do you?....his names mark......???😁
[/quote]
Are you taking the mick...... I'm being deadly serious. It's an approved method used by master bodgers the world throughout. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388354471' post='2321221']
.... would the seller tell potential buyers 'not to go mad with the bidding'? I think not. :)
[/quote]

Reverse psychology... the oldest trick in the book; added to which, if it does turn out to have problems, the seller can clearly show ebay that he tried to highlight to potential buyers that it had 'issues'! Not saying this is the case BUT his back is well and truly covered when/if greedy gits still end up bidding hundreds on this in the hope it is a hidden treasure! ;)