Why become a member? ×

Section 1: Questions about you.

Kiwi

OK so I've had a chance to review the results and they're definitely interesting and may even be relevant to other active discussions.

We had just over 350 responses which was great and provided an insight for us who was actually engaged with the site at the time the survey was open.

I'm going to post just Section 1 today with other sections being posted over the next week or so. I know some of the text is hard to read - my apologies for that, I haven't managed to find a way to download the displayed results yet. It's something I'm working on.

[i]Question 1 - How long have you been a member of Basschat for?[/i]

[attachment=151122:BC survey Q1.PNG]

Clearly there are a lot of member who have been part of the community for a long time!

[i]Question 2 - Whch age range do you fit within?[/i]

[attachment=151123:BC survey Q2 - age range.PNG]

In some ways, this was a bit of a surprise - a very strong peak in the 45-54 range and a slightly lower but still significant peak in the 35-44 year range. This is consistent with the age distribution of who generally shows up to Bassbashes. BUT I was wondering where all the younger, just starting out players were though. They seem to be under represented considering so much of what volume musical instrument manufacturers produce is aimed at beginners.

[i]Question 3 - [color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=4]Which of the following best describes your level of playing confidence?[/size][/font][/color][/i]

[size=4][attachment=151124:BC survey Q3 - playing confidence.PNG][/size]

[size=4]No real surprises here - a nice standard bell curve. But again, beginners might possibly be under-represented.[/size]

[i]Question 4 -[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=4]How did you find out about Basschat?[/size][/font][/color][/i]

[attachment=151125:BC survey Q4 - discover Basschat.PNG]

Twelve percent of you are the geniuses that legends are made of. Otherwise, no surprises here.

[i]Other methods?[/i]

[attachment=151126:BC survey Q4 - discover Basschat - other methods.PNG]

No comment. :)

[i]Question 5 - [color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=4]Silly question: Do you approve of silliness on the forum?[/size][/font][/color][/i]

[size=4][attachment=151127:BC survey Q5 - silliness on the forum.PNG][/size]

[i][size=4]And...if so, why not?[/size][/i]
[attachment=151128:BC survey Q5 - silliness on the forum - other 1.PNG]
[attachment=151129:BC survey Q5 - silliness on the forum - other 2.PNG]

Some fairly serious replies. :)

More to come over the next few days.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1388266422' post='2320280']
[i]Question 2 - Whch age range do you fit within?[/i]

[attachment=151123:BC survey Q2 - age range.PNG]

In some ways, this was a bit of a surprise - a very strong peak in the 45-54 range and a slightly lower but still significant peak in the 35-44 year range. This is consistent with the age distribution of who generally shows up to Bassbashes. BUT I was wondering where all the younger, just starting out players were though. They seem to be under represented considering so much of what volume musical instrument manufacturers produce is aimed at beginners.
[/quote]

They are still playing guitar and have yet to discover the power of the light side of the force

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1388266422' post='2320280']
OK so I've had a chance to review the results and they're definitely interesting and may even be relevant to other active discussions.

We had just over 350 responses which was great and provided an insight for us who was actually engaged with the site at the time the survey was open.
[/quote]

I was engaged with the site. I didn't see anything about the survey. Anyone who doesn't frequent Off Topic (or use Facebook or Twitter to find out about the contents of an internet forum, which seems rather counterintuitive) is unrepresented in the survey.

[quote][i]Question 2 - Whch age range do you fit within?[/i]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In some ways, this was a bit of a surprise - a very strong peak in the 45-54 range and a slightly lower but still significant peak in the 35-44 year range. This is consistent with the age distribution of who generally shows up to Bassbashes. BUT I was wondering where all the younger, just starting out players were though. They seem to be under represented considering so much of what volume musical instrument manufacturers produce is aimed at beginners.[/font][/color][/quote]

Couple thoughts here:

* I did a similar though less rigorous analysis a few years ago which showed a similar middle-aged bulge. For the life of me , I can't remember how I did it but I think I may have based it on a thread in GD. Anyway, here it is:

And here's the recent BC Survey:

Surprisingly similar and suggests that this higher index of Old Bobs is something that's been around for a while.

* The other thought is that OT might be unrepresentatively older than the rest of the forum. I'd imagine that gear, GD and technique might have a younger profile.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1388334420' post='2320871']
Anyone who doesn't frequent Off Topic (or use Facebook or Twitter to find out about the contents of an internet forum, which seems rather counterintuitive) is unrepresented in the survey.
[/quote]

I rarely bother with Off Topic these days, don't use Facebook or follow Basschat on Twitter & I was one of the first people to respond, so your statement isn't entirely correct.
If somebody as thick as me managed to find the survey post without resorting to social media I'm sure there must have been others.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1388337039' post='2320916']
It's a plot :D

[/quote]

Looks like it's another mobile device thing. I think the plot is to try and stop people using iPads and iPhones to access the site.

Youtube videos have been invisible to me for a long time & now I can't see these picture attachments :(

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1388338496' post='2320951'] Couple thoughts here: * I did a similar though less rigorous analysis a few years ago which showed a similar middle-aged bulge. For the life of me , I can't remember how I did it but I think I may have based it on a thread in GD. Anyway, here it is: And here's the recent BC Survey: Surprisingly similar and suggests that this higher index of Old Bobs is something that's been around for a while. * The other thought is that OT might be unrepresentatively older than the rest of the forum. I'd imagine that gear, GD and technique might have a younger profile. [/quote]

Alexa used to provide age details for the users of websites, and it tied in closely with both your's and the survey's results. TB had a much younger demographic if I remember correctly, so I'd imagine that's where many of the younger players are visiting if they're inclined to use a bass forum.

FWIW I didn't know about the survey either.

I wonder if the middle-aged bulge is responsible for the regular episodes of curmudgeonliness* on the forum?

They do say you get more right-wing as you get older. The current mrs discreet is no spring chicken any more and disturbingly has started to read [i]The Daily Mail[/i] online. More disturbingly, she thinks I don't know about it.

She has yet to invade Poland, however. We'll see.

*[size=2]A real word. Look it up like I did.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Maybe the lack of younger people is because parts of the site (like all the results published on this page) aren't visible on the mobile devices they use all the time?

Sorry to keep harping on but BC is the only site is use regularly that has so many issues when accessing via iPad :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388407398' post='2321593']
I wonder if the middle-aged bulge is responsible for the regular episodes of curmudgeonliness* on the forum?[/quote]

On a number of occasions I have suggested that this (and concomitant testosterone depletion) might be the case.

Far from stimulating heated debate I instead learned that Mr Billy Apple is still 'squirty' even though in his mid-seventies. Which - frankly - was no help at all.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

• 2 months later...

Are there any more results to come from the survey? One example was what can be done to improve the site. My suggestion was to have a bass related 'musical items for sale' for things like bass effects pedals, bridges, tuners, pickups etc and a non bass related part for guitars, rainsticks and everything else.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

I don't know about more results but I can answer about your improvement idea :)

Item for sale | Forum
Bass effect pedals | Effects for sale
Bridges, tuners, pickups, parts for guitar, rainsticks etc | Other Musically Related Items For Sale

:)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1396858952' post='2417907']
I don't know about more results but I can answer about your improvement idea :)

Item for sale | Forum
Bass effect pedals | Effects for sale
Bridges, tuners, pickups, parts for guitar, rainsticks etc | Other Musically Related Items For Sale

:)
[/quote]

Thanks!