Why become a member? ×

Best cabinet options for a Genz Benz GBE1200 head

harrybgoode

Hello there,
I already read a lot over here regarding the GBE1200, mostly used with El Whappo cabinets, and I haven't had any luck getting one of those.
What would you consider a good cabinet choice to match the power and tonal character of the head?
I am building a pro pop-rock kinda rig with this head, which I love.p
Thanks anyone!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1388269266' post='2320329']
There will no doubt be a fanboy along soon to suggest a barefaced cab of some kind despite never having tried one with that amp and having no idea how it would sound! Lol
[/quote]

Been waiting for that to happen......... :lol:

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1388311781' post='2320560']
I've tried a Streamliner through a Schroeder 2x12 which sounded pretty good. Loud as hell too. Nice compact cab for not a lot of dosh, but I don't know how the GBE and Streamliner compare, although I'd expect them to be similar.
[/quote]
Gbe is closer to shuttle than streamliner for tone, quite hifi and balanced set flat. Very nice amp indeed

Yes,
I've played it a lot live when going to big gigs with services...
So I actually bought one for myself!
There's a genz 610 in Italy for sale for about 400€ (320£?) which is very very cheap.
But a 610... how would that fit in my car? And my mom (since I'm italian, you know, italians live with their moms for life) would beat the hell outta me :D :D :D
no kidding, I'm really looking forward some kind of do-it-all solution to match the head.
I would really love something like the El Whappo Jr.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='harrybgoode' timestamp='1388218437' post='2319505']
Hello there,
I already read a lot over here regarding the GBE1200, mostly used with El Whappo cabinets, and I haven't had any luck getting one of those.
[/quote]

The accugroove cabs are "hifi" designs so you would probably get similar results with any cab specifically designed to be flat and neutral sounding e.g. Acme, Audiokinesis, Barefaced, Bergantino, TKS amongst others. Of these the Berg is the only one you are likely your find in a music store.

I'd have a careful think about whether using hifi type cabs like this is really the way you want to go as your severely limiting the choice (and therefore availability) of speakers considering your location.

I used to have the GBE750. That sounded lovely through the 610T (ask bramleyapple as it now resides with him). The 610 is an awkward beast to manoeuvre but does fit in a ford focus with the rear seats down (and leaves plenty of space for other gear)

I'm now on a Shuttlemax with a selection of berg 12s. This is also a beautiful sounding combination.

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1388269266' post='2320329']
There will no doubt be a fanboy along soon to suggest a barefaced cab of some kind despite never having tried one with that amp and having no idea how it would sound! Lol
[/quote]

I'm playing a GBE750 with Barefaced for years now (S12T first and compact now, waiting for the second one). The sound is great and the weight Incredible (for the cabs, the head is really bulk, I don't even imagine how is the 1200). The GBE eq is really powerful so it's easy to get a sound I like. When I want to have a more oldschool sound, I use my Sansamp.

I think that with a such great head, any good cabinet will sound at least good, especially if it's not too shy in the lows. A neox 212 should be good, 2 of them would be AWESOME.

[quote name='Remucho' timestamp='1388401328' post='2321478']

I'm playing a GBE750 with Barefaced for years now (S12T first and compact now, waiting for the second one). The sound is great and the weight Incredible (for the cabs, the head is really bulk, I don't even imagine how is the 1200). The GBE eq is really powerful so it's easy to get a sound I like. When I want to have a more oldschool sound, I use my Sansamp.

I think that with a such great head, any good cabinet will sound at least good, especially if it's not too shy in the lows. A neox 212 should be good, 2 of them would be AWESOME.
[/quote]
Clearly not a fanboy but some one with real world experience of that combination, great contribution

• 8 years later...
On 28/12/2013 at 22:21, IanA said:

Love this! I have a GB 12.2 I picked up second hand.. great head. I run it through two 2-10s BF cabs.. I am no fanboy however of BF. They are up for sale