Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BC 210/212 thoughts?

bungle

I have an Orange Terror Bass which I like very much. I play it through a slightly bashed about Hartke 410, which isn't the best cab in the world, but it sounds nice enough to my ears. Although the Hartke is quite heavy, I don't mind dragging it to reasonably sized full-band type gigs.

However, we regularly play smaller gigs with a stripped back drum kit or just a cajon. It'd be nice to have a single small, light cab to take to these affairs, or for quiet practices.

The BC210 and BC212 seem reasonably priced (£250 and £300 respectively), and the 210 certainly would be small and light enough. I wonder if anyone has used one, and if so whether they thought they were any good, or if they'd be suitable for what I'm suggesting.

Oh, and the cabs are 250W, but the OTB puts out 500W at 8 Ohm. I'm aware of Alex Claber's rule ("You can safely use any amp with any cab, regardless of power ratings, but if you hear distortion or farting, turn down the volume or the bass knob."), and the Hartke 410 is actually 300W and I have used the two in combination for a long time with no bother.

Am I likely to run into any trouble in this regard?

Cheers

I have owned a couple of BC210's in the past. They are not the greatest cabs in the world, but neither are they the worst.

THey don't handle high volume well, but that doesn't sound like a big issue for you if you are using them for your smallest gigs.
The outer finish is also very delicate. There is no tweeter adjustment either. If you can live with all these things, I think they would do fine.

Just to muddy the waters a little; have you considered Genz Benz Focus cabs? The FCS-210T and the FCS-115T are rated at 300 watts, have a tweeter level control, have a street price of £199 and roughly the same weight as the TC cabs. The Bass Whisperer is impressed with them, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urvdCExs2kI

+1 to the genz focus cabs. I have a 210 that I use in rehearsal with my streamliner 600. I am amazed by its sound every time I play it. Surely value/sound cannot be beaten with these at the moment. It isn't super light but I carry it with one hand. The handles are great. The 210 cuts through absolutely fine, and that's through 3 guitars and loud drums.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, what's the craic with the bc212 cabs paired up? I have a gk 400rb iv head and wanna run it in 4 ohm mode for bigger gigs. Wad thinking of getting one bc212 for practice etc and another for big gigs. What is the wattage these guys can handle with two bc212 running?
cheers

• 3 years later...

I had two BC212 with a TC BH500 head

An excellent rig and the cabs sounded great and are fairly light. Should pick them up used for about £120 or less. Get covers if you're keeping them, the covering is easy to 'rash'

Not as good a sound as the high end stuff but good for the price

• 3 weeks later...