Why become a member? ×

Powering your Pedalboards

phil_the_bassist

Morning!

Right, as a few your you know, I've recently purchased a veritable smorgasbord of pedals from members of this forum.

I've had the first delivery of a spankin' cool Morley wah from Bassballs, and also encountered my first logistical problem which I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

It runs off 2x9v batteries, or off a "12-18v" power supply.

Now, my tuner runs of a 9v supply, and I was wondering what I'd need to run both pedals (and the other 3 i've got arriving in the next few days hopefully!) from a single socket.

I'm guessing that you guys've got some sorta daisy-chaining system for the boards, but it's the different voltages that I'm uncertain about.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

[quote name='PauBass' post='229538' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:33 AM']

Dunlop DC Brick: seven 9v outputs and three 18v outputs.

This is the one I'm using and never had a problem, it works really well.

:)[/quote]

OOh, shiny!

Hopefully I can half-inch the connecting cables from work, and then it's job done!

*EDIT*

Just looked at the price...are there any cheaper alternatives to get me started?
Cheers!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='burno70' post='229665' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:11 PM']Deffo go with the Diago. It's expensive, Although half the price of the DC brick, but it's so light and you can alway expand it's connections as your pedal collection grows![/quote]

It's looking like a good option....even tho I'm gonna need to buy the 18v adaptor for my Morley but still comes out cheaper than the J.D.!

Thanks for the fast response to this guys, you've been a big help!

+1 to everyone above

Diago Powerstation, with a [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,39/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]18v doubler[/url] will double the voltage from 9v to 18v for the morley, only on the ouput you plug it on to. So the rest will still get 9V.

Still works out cheaper than the DC brick too.

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12"]JohnnyShredFreak[/url] sell a power supply that looks very simiar to the Diago, and I believe Tayste uses it to power one of his larger boards.

[quote name='BobAjob' post='230490' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:23 PM'][url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12"]JohnnyShredFreak[/url] sell a power supply that looks very simiar to the Diago, and I believe Tayste uses it to power one of his larger boards.[/quote]
I have one of those which works perfectly powering an EBS Multicomp and an EBS Microbass II but when I daisy chain it to my Korg AX3000B as well it hums like a bugger. It should be capable of powering all three with current to spare but I have to power the Korg seperately with its original power supply to avoid the hum.
:)

[quote name='Toasted' post='230645' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:27 PM']The hum comes because the Shreadfreak supply is an inferior product to the Diago.[/quote]
The guitarist in my band has a Diago powering his board so I'll give his a go at rehearsal. However, I suspect you are right and the Johnny Shredfreak PSU is just a piece of crap. Serves me right for being a cheapskate I suppose.

[quote name='rayfw' post='230653' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:33 PM']The guitarist in my band has a Diago powering his board so I'll give his a go at rehearsal. However, I suspect you are right and the Johnny Shredfreak PSU is just a piece of crap. Serves me right for being a cheapskate I suppose.[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's a piece of crap, but I think you generally get what you pay for :)

I get noise from my Zoom B2 when on the daisy chain, it works fine with it's own power supply though. I think it may be some kind of earthing issue, as when on the daisy chain it's really noisy through headphones, but pretty silent when hooked up to my audio interface.

If you have hum problems when daisy chaining several fx from same supply, it is likely one or more of them needs isolated supply.

An isolated supply will cost you more but will give the performance you require....

you pay for the extra transformer windings and components....I had to build mine as I bought several line 6 pedals a while back when they were being sold off for £20.00 - they hum like hell on a daisy chain

You could always build your own... built my old one with 24, 18, 12 and 9 volts, (now living with mate as the new version is nearly done) and he needs more than me as he regularly gigging rather than just building gear like me :)

enjoy!

I've got a Gigrig midi 8 [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_MIDI-8_Black.html"]http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRi...DI-8_Black.html[/url]
which comes with a power supply
[url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_GENERATOR.html"]http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_GENERATOR.html[/url]

The website[b] [i] says[/i] [/b]it provides up to 5 amps and i've not had a problem with it in any way.
It's supplying about 1,800 mA to my rig quite comfortably and with no hum, hiss or loss of sound quality.

[quote name='rayfw' post='230629' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:15 PM']I have one of those which works perfectly powering an EBS Multicomp and an EBS Microbass II but when I daisy chain it to my Korg AX3000B as well it hums like a bugger. It should be capable of powering all three with current to spare but I have to power the Korg seperately with its original power supply to avoid the hum.
:)[/quote]

just got one of these today, can't beat the price haha

seriously though, mine is very low noise and (comparing the two on my oscilloscope) quieter than the maplin branded one i was using before that. the maplin wasn't a SMPS though, had a conventional transformer and was about 5 times the size, also had about 1mv of ripple but a very low amount of transients. the shredfreak has no ripple at all, being a SMPS, and is smaller and much lighter, but the filtering seems to be not as good as it could be. lots of current on tap, but lots of transients in the signal as well...in audible, as far as i can tell however. my educated guess is, it's on a par with the diago. probably not physically as tough, and certainly made on the cheap in regards to individual components, but really a SMPS is an SMPS and i have a feeling diago charge 55 or whatever for theirs simply because they have to if they want to be taken seriously.

strangely, if i have the DI of my sansamp connected to my soundcard, i get a hum that i never got before, unless the line out of the sansamp is also connected to my amplifier input. i don't think it's anything to do specifically with the new PS though, even though the old one didn't do it i think it has more to do with grounding/ground loop issues. i'm not too worried about it though, as it's not really an issue and i can't see it being one.

the korgs/etc will have issues with daisy chaining for the same reasons that some line6's do, has to do with their internal circuitry.