Why become a member? ×

December Composition Competition - VOTE NOW!

Skol303

[color=#b22222][b][size=5]Voting has now started on December's Composition Competition![/size][/b][/color]

Here's the inspiration for this final shindig of the year, chosen by the previous winner [b]Spoombung[/b]:

And here are the compositions. Please listen to each track and pick your favourite:

[b]Dad3353[/b] https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/dreams-of-a-patchy-dormeur
[b]AL-the-Bassman[/b] https://soundcloud.com/al-the-bassman/just-let-him-sleep-said-mr
[b]lurksalot[/b] https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/christmas-dreams-never-forget
[b]Leonard Smalls[/b] https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/bedtime-latest-mix
[b]the boy[/b] https://soundcloud.com/theboysings/dreams-of-d
[b]Skol303[/b] https://soundcloud.com/skollob/slumber

[color=#b22222][size=5][b]Voting ends at midnight on New Year’s Eve.[/b][/size][/color]

This month’s winner gets a Basschat polo shirt of their choosing!

Well done to everyone who took part this month and throughout the year.

Cheers! :drinks: And happy holidays.

Paul

Deed duly done. Who'd have thought the pic would inspire such a divers set of entries..? I wonder what Spoomy's going to make of the interpretations..! At least, with a few fewer entries, we've less head scratching to do, and it's absolutely painless, listening to them all (several times, for some..!).
Anxious moments now; we'll see just how many can spare the time in this busy season to give their opined judgement on the offerings.
Well done all, and thanks to Skol303 and Spoombung for making it happen.

Edited by Dad3353

Well done all the BC regular composers - was torn between two this month, one a great composition that could easily crop up in a film/advert and the other some fabulous bass playing. As it is a composition competition the former got the vote, but great work Al on the tone and playing!

Keep up the good work supporting this Skol - let's hope the competition gets some more support - amazing how few votes compared to the recent poll on a well known cabinet builder :(

Some very cool submissions guys. One of the tracks captured the mood of the picture perfectly for me, so that gets my vote :) Am I right in assuming that we refrain from discussing the tracks in detail until after voting is closed?

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1388012183' post='2317920']...Am I right in assuming that we refrain from discussing the tracks in detail until after voting is closed?
[/quote]

It's an old trick, but it just might work... :ph34r:

[spoiler]This is where I 'hide' stuff that might spoil things for others, such as comments on the tracks. One could, of course, wait until voting's over, too. No rules; your call. Hope this helps. B)

For those who've not come across this, one uses square brackets around the two words 'spoiler' and '/spoiler', with the hidden text in between, like this, but with square brackets ('[' and ']'...)...
{spoiler}Text to be hidden{/spoiler}
[/spoiler]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1388012928' post='2317926']...as a newbie to these threads...[/quote]

Ah..! In that case, all we need is your bank transfer (Western Union will do...) to our special account on the Dark Continent. :yarr:
No, don't fill in the amount, we have software that will do that for you.
No, don't thank us, it's natural.

:lol:

I've listened to all the tracks now and I have to say that one in particular was very prominent. I will listen again today whilst driving my car. I will vote after that. The tracks are consistently good here I must say. There is a lot of talent in this competition, it's a shame it doesn't get more exposure or support. How feasible would it be to pm all members every month with a reminder to listen and vote. There must be a way of doing it quite easily.

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1388012183' post='2317920']
Some very cool submissions guys. One of the tracks captured the mood of the picture perfectly for me, so that gets my vote :) Am I right in assuming that we refrain from discussing the tracks in detail until after voting is closed?
[/quote]

Welcome to these threads Steve ,there is no real etiquette for the process but I would agree with your assumption in general , I think it fair to allow the entries themselves to 'speak' to the voters , and then discuss them at your leisure after the event . That said, I do sometimes post comments on the soundcloud pages of the entries , nothing insightful you understand just comments :rolleyes:

I suppose that, over this holiday break, some folks will be away from their keyboards, or too busy stuffing turkeys and such, to listen to all the tracks ([i]although we've made it easier this month; there's not too many to listen to, eh..?[/i]). ;)
14 votes cast so far. Can we set a target figure..? Anyone think 30 would be reasonable..? What figure would [i]you[/i] be pleased to see..?

Voted - Well done all, some interesting stuff going on.

[spoiler]
Dad just did for me - It had that almost childish humour to it, and a slightly plodding feel that captured the Elephant,
although the relentless snoring fx went on a bit :D[size=4] [/size][size=4][/spoiler][/size]

Edited by lowdown