Why become a member? ×

Replacement Hayman logo in silver

ShergoldSnickers

Just started a replacement Hayman logo for a Hayman 4040 bass that Discreet has bought. The headstock is currently without a logo, and this should supply an unusual bespoke replacement.

The first top disc, containing the roughly hand-cut Hayman 'H' is done. More careful filing and use of various emery grades next. The disc in these photos will be 25.5mm in diameter when finished.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

Nice one Ian, very much looking forward to this! The original Hayman 'H' logo was a perspex insert and they are now as rare as hen's teeth. To give you some idea, this is what they looked like:

A bit of background: The Hayman 4040 bass was built in London by Jack Golder and Norman Houlder of Shergold Woodcrafts Limited (established 1967). The Hayman brand name was applied to instruments distributed by Dallas Arbiter until termination of the contract in 1975. From 1975 to 1982 their guitars and basses appeared under their own Shergold brand. So now you know. :)

Mine has been restored by The Bass Doc and I hope to have visual contact with it early in the new year. There will be pics. But not until Ian's top bit of silversmithing is in position. :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1387813849' post='2316029']...The disc in these photos will be 25.5mm in diameter when finished.[/quote]

So, nearly 1", then..? :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387818283' post='2316083']...they are now as rare as hen's teeth...[/quote]

...and this one even more so..! Excellent 'customisation' here. Where's that 'Like' button, again..? B)

• 3 weeks later...

The 5mm ring, fashioned from a virtually straight piece of 'wire'. After some initial hand bending — wearing leather gauntlets* to protect the fingers and wrists from accidental slippage — the wire was shaped to size using a ring mandrel and hide mallet, interspersed with annealing the silver wire. By bending so that the ends overlapped coil-wise, a straight cut through both ends mean that the ends will butt properly when pushed together. The discolouration is caused by the annealing.

Once soldered, and made perfectly circular, the ring will be filed flat on the side to be soldered to the logo. This will create the outer rounded bevel to the logo.

* I'll take any excuse to wear leather gauntlets. :yarr:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1392486373' post='2369351']
That join is superb!
I work with metal a lot and know how difficult it can be to get a join in a ring as tight as that.

The logo as a whole looks fantastic B) .
[/quote]

Yep, the first join cracked and failed when I put the ring on a stretcher (shown below) to get it perfectly circular. :blush:

I had to cut the join and resolder it, but this time it was fine.

Getting closer... the outer ring has been filed to the correct 'D' section, and will be soldered to the base soon. Lots of polishing after that, and then we are there.

And the hallmarks... sponsor's mark (me) purity mark (925 parts per 1000 silver), Yorkshire rose (Sheffield Assay Office), Sterling Silver lion, and the date mark 'p'. All laser cut.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1393167243' post='2376865']
Very, very cool!
[/quote]
[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1393443294' post='2380444']
Brilliant stuff !
[/quote]

Thanks guys — I'm waiting for someone to order something that requires getting the big hammers and mallets out, with lots of noise and bending of metal over large anvils. :yarr: :lol:

Outer ring and logo disc now soldered together. The whole thing has taken on a temporary matt finish due to being 'pickled' in acid after the soldering process. This removes the borax residue.

Prior to soldering, the work is brushed with a solution of borax both to act as a flux, and as a protective coating to the silver, to prevent the copper content oxidising and discolouring — fire stain.

As the work has been previously part-polished, getting the sheen back will be easier.

I like threads like this, you go down through all the pictures and it's like, 'that's good, and that's good' and it really is good, but then you scroll to the last picture and 'holy sh*t that looks good'.

Love it :) .

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1394296007' post='2390020']
Thanks Maude. The photo above exaggerates the effect of the hammering, and whilst it's a little more subtle than that, it will get smoothed out and flattened a bit to tame it.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the update! Veritably quaking with expectation now! ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1394296565' post='2390026']
I'd be tempted to buy a Hayman simply for the prestige of having an insignia such as this made. A real jewel in the crown... B)
[/quote]

They are not common, but can be found... get one before the price goes up! :)