Why become a member? ×

Fender American Standard Jazz Bass Case

thebassist

You may have noticed also, the tuning keys are different also than Am. Std.'s at about the same [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]serial #. US1304xxxx and on. The tuning key's housing has a cut out on the upper, exposing the threads on the top of the housings. This is not for Am. Std.'s only.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1387787075' post='2315509']
About this time last year I watched the video on the Hiscox site where the bloke takes a bandsaw to 'other' cases and explains why they're not up to scratch, then went and got the Fender/SKB cases that came with my American Standard 4 and 5 from under the bed and spent 5 minutes pulling the fabric covered polystyrene inserts out to reveal the shallow metal edge with the locks and other hardware riveted into the plastic, just like he described. My immediate reaction was to put them back how i found them, take them to the local shop and trade both in for one Hiscox STD-EBS, straight swap.

I've been really happy with my case for the last year and it's actually made me use a hard case where before I used gig bags, so if I've bought into some clever marketing then hey, won't be the first or last time and on balance I'm better off than I was. But really, are the SKB cases as 'superb' as you guys are saying? I certainly wouldn't have fancied standing even one guy, let alone 4 or 5, on the SKB with my bass in it!
[/quote]

Yeah most airlines will bandsaw your case unless you ask for the special round sticker that has the bandsaw with the red border and line through it. It looks just like the Ghostbusters sicker, but with a bandsaw replacing the ghost. I always ask for three of them for a bass case, two for a guitar case.

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1387742630' post='2315162']
I believe this is what is now shipping with the American Standard series instruments from 2013 on-wards...

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/accessories/cases/abs-molded-precision-bassjazz-bass-case-black/"]http://www.fender.co...ass-case-black/[/url]

They still have SKB cases with the Deluxe series, for now.
[/quote]

That case is being shipped with Am. Deluxe JBasses, and PBasses.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1387824843' post='2316193']
Yeah most airlines will bandsaw your case unless you ask for the special round sticker that has the bandsaw with the red border and line through it. It looks just like the Ghostbusters sicker, but with a bandsaw replacing the ghost. I always ask for three of them for a bass case, two for a guitar case.
[/quote]

aaaah.. so that's where I've been going wrong, is it? :rolleyes:

If you have a few minutes and haven't seen the video I'm talking about, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs"]have a look[/url] and see if you think the guy is making any reasonable points.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1387844629' post='2316497']
aaaah.. so that's where I've been going wrong, is it? :rolleyes:

If you have a few minutes and haven't seen the video I'm talking about, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs"]have a look[/url] and see if you think the guy is making any reasonable points.
[/quote]

I'll do that, but until I do, I stand by my mantelpiece with a can of strong cider and proclaim that I could bandsaw my way through 12 layers of bubble wrap in 14 seconds but it wouldn't mean that my 1824 Stack Knob Aerodyne wouldn't had been perfectly fine flying RyanAir to North Korea.

Swapping case suppliers during the model year is not a new thing for Fender. I bought a lefty Usa p-bass in the late 90's and getting one of those curvy fitted skb cases with it was a deal clincher. As I had to wait for a few months for my three colour sunburst lefty to arrive, sometime during that period Fender switched briefly to Vintage re-issue cases made by G&G ( similar to the photos posted) and that is what my P-Bass arrived in. I recall enquiring why no SKB and my local store said the vintage Fender branded C&G re-issue cases were more expensive(according to the Fender rep). I was given a decent value voucher at the time for my complaint but to be honest the G&G case although heavy is quite robust, tough quality, and has aged/stood the test of time well. My current Jazz has the modern square SKB case which is as good quality and much lighter. I think they both do a fine job protecting the instruments and both are 'original' equipment. if its a G&G case you have then its decent quality, they usually have an aluminium plaque attached to the storage compartment inside the case with 'made by G&G'

Edited by dangoose

This is the case that my 2013 Am. Std. Fretless Jazz came in three days ago. I like the flatter case over the SKB molded case. The bass has a more secure fit, with less moving around in the older style flat hard shell case, than in the SKB molded case.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rKUyYCT.jpg[/IMG]