Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Stingray/Passive

NancyJohnson

Anyone here running a stock Stingray as a [u]passive[/u] bass?

I've never owned one, but the idea of grabbing a cheapish one (and not a SUB or OLP) as a live back up option is growing on me somewhat, although I do have issues with active instruments (I've owned a Bongo 5HH, a Warwick Streamer and a John East loaded Jazz). Switching between a passive (Thunderbird) and an active (Stingray) mid-gig doesn't appeal so much, citing possible battery failure/drain (I do tend to leave basses plugged in when I'm not using them) and disparity between tonal set ups etc.

So what's the options? This is a bit of a grey area for me...is it possible to use the MM pickup, pull out the pre-amp and just stick in regular pots? Or just remove the battery? Alternatively, which passive replacement pickup unit would give a similar Stingray tone? Or should I just consider another Thunderbird (heh).

Cheers
Paul

Theoretically, it should be possible... if you remove the pre-amp & associated gubbins, and replace with traditional pots/caps, though what size cap(s) you would use is for someone else to answer.

I think most people would answer: Why? Why get an active StingRay and why would you want to remove the eletronics?

I guess one option would be to get an active T'bird (that Epiphone one) as well as the StingRay, or like you say, another passive T'bird. What about a P or P/J bass or a G&L L2000 (switchable from active to passive)?

After many, many, many years of playing active's, I went back to passives, mainly because of all the active's I'd had (from Aria/Westone/Washburn/Tobias/EBMM and a few others), I'd never really been that happy with the way they sounded, no matter how much I tweaked them and the amps, either live or recorded. I plugged in a friends passive, instant tonal gratification, great sound straight off and every time. From then on, I've been a passive re-convert, but buying a new bass is frustrating, because it seems that nearly everything has active electronics in them, apart from the good old P or J (and even they don't escape the all pervading 9v treatment!).

Stay passive! :D

I've got a Musicman Reflex with a humbucker in exactly the same position as a Stingray that can be switched into passive mode. To my ears , it doesn't really sound noticeably different to the same pickup in active with the EQ set flat. It certainly wouldn't be worth embarking on a major project to butcher the electronics on some kind of a Stingray if by doing so you are in search of a profound and pleasing tonal difference , because the chances are, there won't be one. You stand much more chance of making a perfectly good bass sound worse.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1387370980' post='2311141']
Anyone here running a stock Stingray as a [u]passive[/u] bass?

I've never owned one, but the idea of grabbing a cheapish one (and not a SUB or OLP) as a live back up option is growing on me somewhat, although I do have issues with active instruments (I've owned a Bongo 5HH, a Warwick Streamer and a John East loaded Jazz). Switching between a passive (Thunderbird) and an active (Stingray) mid-gig doesn't appeal so much, citing possible battery failure/drain (I do tend to leave basses plugged in when I'm not using them) and disparity between tonal set ups etc.

So what's the options? This is a bit of a grey area for me...is it possible to use the MM pickup, pull out the pre-amp and just stick in regular pots? Or just remove the battery? Alternatively, which passive replacement pickup unit would give a similar Stingray tone? Or should I just consider another Thunderbird (heh).

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

I would not worry about battery failures: they last a loooooong time. And with regards with tonal differences between the two basses, they will still sound different even in passive form: those two basses are very different. If you meant output disparities, you may find that the Stingray is not necessarily much (any?) louder than the Thunderbird. Active does not mean higher output.

With that out of the way now...

Yes, you can run a Stingray passive. The pickup is not an active pickup and works just fine without the preamp. In fact, my Stingray has a bypass switch installed in the volume pot so that it can work without batteries. There is no significant volume differences between passive/active on my bass... but that's because of the settings I use. If you were to boost the EQ controls a lot, you'd notice a difference.

So, you could just remove the preamp, and install standard passive electronics. I'd keep the plate, and do a simple 2 control setup (volume and passive tone), and use the remaining hole (assuming a 2-band Stingray) for a parallel/series switch. The standard is parallel, but the series option has a bit extra oomph, more mids, and it's a great sound.

Personally, I'd keep the Stingray stock... but if you want to experiment with a passive setup, it would be easy and work well. Just try it stock first, you may find you don't want to convert it to passive after all ;)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387421062' post='2311844']
Yes, you can run a Stingray passive. The pickup is not an active pickup and works just fine without the preamp. In fact, my Stingray has a bypass switch installed in the volume pot so that it can work without batteries. There is no significant volume differences between passive/active on my bass... but that's because of the settings I use. If you were to boost the EQ controls a lot, you'd notice a difference.
[/quote]

The only thing you modified was the volume pot for active/passive? Is it a push/pull?
I'm really interested in doing this.

I don't want to replace anything except install an option for active/passive. I've built musicman style frankenbasses before all wired for passive, but I want to take my actual MM and keep everything stock except what's necessary for active/passive operation.

Any wiring diagrams or info you could help me out with? :)

[quote name='I am not excane' timestamp='1389544753' post='2335304']

I don't want to replace anything except install an option for active/passive. I've built musicman style frankenbasses before all wired for passive, but I want to take my actual MM and keep everything stock except what's necessary for active/passive operation.

[/quote]

whoops missed that. Yeah adding a passive/active switch isn't a bad idea I guess

When Kent Armstrong did this for me, he had to take the pickup out.
He rewound another one as he had the right cases around in his workshop.

I can't recall if he wanted to do this to demo a new approach to the MM or whether he had to use another pickup.
I wasn't fussed about keeping the MM tone anyway...I'd done all that and gotten bored with it...
but it extended the use of the bass by quite a while as everythng else on it was great...
Rock solid neck, great player...etc etc

So, yes... this is a mod, I'd recommend...but keep the old tone stack for when you sell.

[quote name='I am not excane' timestamp='1389544753' post='2335304']
The only thing you modified was the volume pot for active/passive? Is it a push/pull?
I'm really interested in doing this.

Any wiring diagrams or info you could help me out with? :)
[/quote]

I can't help you out with the details I'm afraid, as I had John East do it for me :)

I was buying one of his 3-band MMSR preamps and I asked him about the possibility of having a bypass switch. All he did was use a different volume pot, as far as I know, not sure what value.

• 5 months later...

How did it go with the preamp? Sorted with JE or did you switch to passive.
If i can recommend you based on my experience...nothing beats the passive tone of the P bass. Get a nice one and you won't need to make a stingray passive. That's just my 2 cents..(or 2 pences!)
I honestly and clearly hate very much the stock preamp Ernie Ball sells the bass with, with that horrible sizzly sound and no tight lows. What a disgrace!! I had to buy one custom preamp from John to avoid selling that amazing bass the stingray is. Besides that, the EBMM company makes great built instruments with great woods.
Change the preamp and you'll see that you won't give a damn to go passive. The stingray is designed to be active, make it work best (probably with John's pre) and will kick your audience' arses. Again, i would much go for a P bass if passive sound is what you like.

In this video I am using John's pre, just a play along...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpJoEKP_lw

Hope you enjoy it!

[quote name='Ma'Grass' timestamp='1404432821' post='2492684']
I honestly and clearly hate very much the stock preamp Ernie Ball sells the bass with, with that horrible sizzly sound and no tight lows. [/quote]

The 2EQ DOES have more low end push, but it really is quite deep in the low end.

The 3EQ has tighter lows, but part of the reason is that the realised all of those sub lows were doing very little unless you were going through a large PA that could handle it, otherwise you are just hammering your speakers with sub lows for no reason, as you will barely hear them.

Sizzle? Rays love to sizzle. Stick flats on, drop the treble, no sizzle!