Why become a member? ×

Enfield basses - your verdict

marcus bell

Not sure about the look of the pickups on the more 'vintage' models, but I would like to try one out as I am intrigued by the electronics.

Having seen lots of Fender-alikes I am not that fussed over whether a bass looks a bit like a Wal, I wouldn't make a criticism on a brand on that basis alone.

• 1 year later...

Ive just taken delivery of one of their premium models. Its a custom shop Cannon 5 string and I have to say that despite all the flak thats been aimed at the brand i'm confident when I say it's design is absolutely spot on. The Super 8 pickup is a revelation in my opinion, it throws out very high quality tones that are a fair representation of what youd expect but with oodles of character that the bass has. Its has depth and is as far from clinical as you can get.
The impressive thing is that everything on this bass is built in house, Martin Simms got jigged up to make everything from the bridge to the machine heads. Its all very chunky but nicely styled, the tolerances he's used are very tight in the extreme. The use of lights to identify your pickup selection is very useful indeed that makes mid song changes an instantaneous no fiddling affair, there is also no loss of vol when changing which obviously leaves you free to play rather than look at your amp and wait for an open string note to get a free hand in order to make adjustments.
In comparison to other high end basses Ive owned it not only holds its own but feels very fresh and highly capable. The fact that it tips its hat at other english made basses is a good thing in my book but the bass definately has a feel, sound and strong identity all of its own, which I feel are the main reasons you'd be prepared to fork out the rather large pile of dosh needed to get one.
I for one am really looking forward to working this beast and putting the different settings to good use whilst finding uses for the more obscure pick up variations it offers.the fancy lights are pretty good fun too ( lazer front and led sides )
Good on ya Martin, i'm happy to fly the Enfield flag
Col

Edited by CPBass

• 4 months later...