Why become a member? ×

Why don't they have X factor for musicians?

Damonjames

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1387188494' post='2309037']
if they did there would only be [url="http://newsthump.com/2011/12/12/simon-cowell-wins-x-factor-for-record-8th-time/"]one winner [/url] :D

[color=#808080][b]Simon Cowell shocked morons everywhere last night by dramatically securing his tenth successive victory in ITV’s X Factor.[/b][/color]
[color=#808080]The victory has come as a shock to millions of people who appear to have no idea what they are watching, and who for some unfathomable reason seemed to think victory belonged to a female singer called ‘Sam Bailey’.[/color]
[color=#808080]Cowell told reporters after the win, “This is just like winning the lottery. Again. For the tenth year running.”[/color]
[color=#808080]“People said it was impossible to win it all over again, but then I pointed them to a format that I completely own, and my record company that now owns all of the acts on the show, and then they have to admit it looks a lot like ‘winning’.”[/color]
[color=#808080]“I’m simply overjoyed, and I can’t thank the fans enough for believing in this money making charade disguised as a talent show. Without them I would be significantly poorer.”[/color]
[color=#808080]“Sam is quite pleased as well, and will be until she realises how little she actually stands to make from all this.”[/color]
[b] [color=#808080]Cowell wins X Factor[/color][/b]

[color=#808080]Experts have said that this latest victory yet again illustrates Cowell’s incredible natural gift for extracting money from simpletons.[/color]
[color=#808080]Music industry analyst Simon Williams told us, “He’s like a force of nature, and fully deserves this tenth successive win.”[/color]
[color=#808080]“Never before have we seen anyone so incredibly talented when it comes to turning the feeble-minded majority into cold hard cash.”[/color]
[color=#808080]“To be honest, I don’t see how anyone will ever beat him.”[/color]
[/quote]

Huge arrogance really, isn't it. Not from Cowell, from this piece. People are morons because they watch X-Factor? People are morons because they enjoy some music and competition but can't expand their reactions to music into educated critique and analysis? They should STOP watching it because it makes Syco money from exploiting morons? Sheer arrogance and misunderstanding.

If unknown music was interesting there would be more of us Basschat members checking out our fellows in the [b]Share Your Music[/b] thread in the Recording section, or listening and voting in the monthly [b]Basschat Composition Competitiion[/b]. As it is, hardly anyone does. So all this slagging of X-Factor just looks like ignorant hypocrisy to me.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1387192221' post='2309083']
Years ago I invented a battle of the bands TV show presented by Lemmy and Wilko Johnson.
No TV companies took it up, the short-sighted gits!
It might have helped if I'd actually sent to it someone...
[/quote]

You really should have - I'd have watched it. One of the knock-out rounds could have involved the contestant having to share a stage with Jools Holland while he insistently played his boogie-woogie piano licks under everything they did.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1387195490' post='2309144']
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else notice that there was a floor mounted autocue with the lyrics during Elton and Gary's duet ? Partner didn't believe me until I paused the tv
[/quote]
You can see Rush using them too if you look at vids on YT.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1387195490' post='2309144']
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else notice that there was a floor mounted autocue with the lyrics during Elton and Gary's duet ? Partner didn't believe me until I paused the tv
[/quote]
I think that everything that helps to improve the performance is fine.

[QUOTE=EliasMooseBlaster]You really should have - I'd have watched it. One of the knock-out rounds could have involved the contestant having to share a stage with Jools Holland while he insistently played his boogie-woogie piano licks under everything they did.[/QUOTE]
Now we're talking...
Could be like Total Wipeout, except they'd have to do a good job despite the famous musician they're forced to play with.
Like the aforesaid Jools and his insistent boogie oogie woogie, or with Bootsy doing backing bass(!), Hayseed Dixie on backing vox...

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1387181128' post='2308954']
didn't they have a band talent/judge show on the box a few years ago?? it had Alex James, Lauren lavern and the bassist from New order on the panel. think it was aired on Sunday afternoon's?
I thought it was ok, all kinds of genres..... obviously never took off!
[/quote]

It was called Orange unsignedAct on Channel 4. My brother's band went on it but Alex James had a problem with the bass player using a 5-string. And they were a bit too 'heavy' so to speak.

There was also Sky's 'Must Be The Music' which was based on original acts.
That had one series in 2010 but that was it.
It consisted of audition rounds done at Theatres around the country and then a few live studio finals weeks with the 4th week final live at Wembley Arena (which was the 1st time an arena final was done on this type of show)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/mustbethemusic/videos"]https://www.youtube.com/user/mustbethemusic/videos[/url]

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1387181128' post='2308954']
didn't they have a band talent/judge show on the box a few years ago?? it had Alex James, Lauren lavern and the bassist from New order on the panel. think it was aired on Sunday afternoon's?
I thought it was ok, all kinds of genres..... obviously never took off!
[/quote]

Orange Unsigned Act on C4, and yes it was quite entertaining - a televised battle of the bands

edit: beaten to it, should have read the second page :lol:

Edited by Protium

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1387193132' post='2309095']
If unknown music was interesting there would be more of us Basschat members checking out our fellows in the [b]Share Your Music[/b] thread in the Recording section, or listening and voting in the monthly [b]Basschat Composition Competitiion[/b]. As it is, hardly anyone does. So all this slagging of X-Factor just looks like ignorant hypocrisy to me.
[/quote]

Totally love Soundcloud for both the interesting new music and it's ability to help us easily post our own stuff up for the comp. I'm not a fan of X-factor though, it seems more like a soap to me than anything else.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1387193132' post='2309095']
[/quote]

I agree with this however if I spent any more time on basschat then I would be in serious trouble with mrs DJ. It would be a great thing to sit and watch on live tv though.
A lot of people commented that Joe public wouldn't appreciate or notice a great guitar, bass or drum performance in a band setting. That's must be a shame to live without being able to fully appreciate a bands performance as a whole... Must be like living in black and white!

Someone also said "why would we lower ourselves" as if it would be selling out to enter such a contest. I'm in my 30's so the chances of "making it" are growing slimmer by the day. For me, I'd jump at any chance to play music full time for a living. For me "selling out" is putting my ass in a mondeo and driving all over the northwest as a salesman just to pay the bills and put food on the table, instead of doing what really makes me happy. I guess it's all about perspective.

[QUOTE="Xilddx"]If unknown music was interesting there would be more of us Basschat members checking out our fellows in the [b]Share Your Music[/b] thread in the Recording section, or listening and voting in the monthly [b]Basschat Composition Competitiion[/b]. As it is, hardly anyone does. So all this slagging of X-Factor just looks like ignorant hypocrisy to me. [/QUOTE]

Especially now I've put my band in!!!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1387198406' post='2309188']
Now we're talking...
Could be like Total Wipeout, except they'd have to do a good job despite the famous musician they're forced to play with.
Like the aforesaid Jools and his insistent boogie oogie woogie, or with Bootsy doing backing bass(!), Hayseed Dixie on backing vox...
[/quote]

Or, for those of a more orchestral inclination, they'd have to conduct this lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1387219043' post='2309546']
Orange Unsigned Act on C4, and yes it was quite entertaining - a televised battle of the bands

edit: beaten to it, should have read the second page :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, I remember that well. I enjoyed it but I guess 'unknown' music is considered niche and certainly not for primetime ITV. Celebrity Karaoke though...