Why become a member? ×

Brand New Heavies / Andrew Levy Last Night - Best Gig I've Seen, Best Bassist and Best Bass Sound

bagsieblue

Last night - Blackpool Empress Ballroom.

Brand New Heavies, Andrew Levy absolutely amazing. Effortless, funky, busy but in the pocket.
The whole band were great actually - crystal clear sound. Super tight.

Great bass sound, played a Fender Jazz for most of the night, couple of songs on a 4 string thumb and a couple on a sparkly 5 string Warwick SS1. The Warwicks were brilliant - without a doubt the best tone I've ever heard - Not a P bass in sight!
Andrew was playing through a TC Electronics rig.

We were right at the front, high fived most of the band and got a full on handshake with Andrew Levy!

Couple of pics:

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1387204294' post='2309271']
I am amazed at how few Warwick basses are seen being used by pro's in the spotlight. OK same could be said of Wal basses, but Warwicks are produced in many more numbers. Good basses too. Fender still wears the crown I guess..
[/quote]

Aesthetics and price are probably the answer to this. Warwicks just ain't fashionable right now!

Saw them last year (or possibly very early this) at Under the Bridge - very good live & Levy had a great sound, I think he was using those same basses too.

I think one of the reasons not too many people are using Warwicks at the moment is that their sound is almost too recognizable - I think they sound great but sometimes you don't want the instrument to scream a brand, you just want it to fit in with the music (that's how I'm feeling about mine anyway)...

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1387204294' post='2309271']
I am amazed at how few Warwick basses are seen being used by pro's in the spotlight. OK same could be said of Wal basses, but Warwicks are produced in many more numbers. Good basses too. Fender still wears the crown I guess..
[/quote]

Around here in Belgium I know bands where you have lesser chances to join them when you don't play Fender... I brought several basses along (Wal, Alembic, Fodera, Warwick..etc) and still you get the reaction "yeah, but it's not a Fender". Even the worst mexican crap Fender gets you more credibility than other basses.. They do listen with their eyes...

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Saw them last night in Newcastle - good vibes; audio mix less so. Might have been the room. Here's a pic of Mr. Levy playing his PJ. Sure it's a Squier rather than a Fender but couldn't quite see. Rig was Ashdown as you can see.

IMG-20191122-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Sandypjb
Minor change

13 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

Saw them last night in Newcastle - good vibes; audio mix less so. Might have been the room. Here's a pic of Mr. Levy playing his PJ. Sure it's a Squier rather than a Fender but couldn't quite see. Rig was Ashdown as you can see.

IMG-20191122-WA0000.jpg

I think that it’s a Sadowsky