Why become a member? ×

I need to be banned from guitar shops..

Sarah5string

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... I've gone and done something a bit stupid.....

I've gone and bought this..

I didn't need it... I couldn't afford it... I've already got 2 basses...

But it's sexy as hell and sounds amazing..

Just don't ask me about the fact it cost £275 and went on the credit card..

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='228762' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:48 PM']Just finished watching Ghost Rider on Sky Movies and up pops a bass thats got skull knobs with flaming eyes - how spooky is that.[/quote]
Funnily enough I don't like the skulls..... but it'd be a bit wrong to change them wouldn't it?

Not my cup-o-tea, but I do like the fret dots/swirl things.
Could never quite get on with that shape of bass, But I guess it'd be easyer then sitting with a Flying V with no strap. (ended up hooking the v bit onto a leg to stop it moving, very uncomfortable)

Wow, I love the explorer shape, reminds me of the guitar I built in high-school engineering class - went horribly wrong and ended up being a fretless with the worst intonation ever due to some idiot messing up the only job I subcontracted! Is it matte or shiny? I have a serious addiction to matte finishes, but usually only if it's something purple...

When you need 2 or more credit cards to obtain it it's too much, what you've done there is perfectly acceptable. If I could find an explorer shaped fiver I'd be on the phone to my landlord making excuses in no time.

Gather round my children and I shall tell you a story.....

Once apon a time in the late 90's, my guit*rist at the time called me on the telephone - which was the communication device of choice at the time. He proceded to inform me that Academy of Sound (later to become Sound Control, then more recently fall on it's a*se) had a five (yes five!!) string Ibanez bass for £550 in stock. Now bear in mind that this was a simpler time, when Korn ruled the NuMetal airwaves and my beard was trying hard but not quite making the cut. I promptly got myself to the aforementioned music shop (if anyone here is familiar with the Norwich branch, this was when it was on the other side of Anglia Square - before it was a candle shop or whatever it is now!) and tried out their nice shiney Ibanez Ergodyne 5 string.
As I mentioned earlier, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Coal Chamber and such bands were just beginning to take the heavy music scene in the death grip that they would hold for all of about ten minutes, and I was seventeen (give or take, my memory isn't what it used to be kids!), so the decision was pretty much made before I even entered the shop. I tried the bass on for size - it certainly did have five strings! I thought it best to consult the local cash machine for advice - IT WAS PAYDAY, so I could have the bass but wouldn't have a great deal of wedge to go out on the lash with until the same time a month later. This didn't matter as I'd have a brand spanking five string bass and therefore be the envy of at least half a dozen of my friends until that day.
Job Jobbed - or so I thought until I'd gotten as far as the aforementioned Guit*rist's house on the way home. His mum asked if I was sure I could afford the bass I had in my (big, strong, masculine) arms and I explained the maths to her..... right up to the point where I remembered that being as it was infact the very day my paycheque had gone into my bank, my housekeeping for the coming month was yet to be payed to my own mothers bank account. *rses I thought.

Here's the moral:

I had a tenner to last me a month when I was a teenager - Ten years later and I've still got my first five string bass. Winner.

Go for it Sarah.

Tune in next week when I'll tell you all about how I promised to pay my mum back for my first proper bass (second one I was to own) and never did! (I pay my own way in life nowadays, honest!!!)

p.s. I've got somewhere close to ten basses now (can't count properly 'cos I'm half cut) and I only play 2 plus 2 back-ups on a regular basis, and I'm just small fry on this forum!!!!

Edited by Gamble

[quote name='Gamble' post='228791' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:44 PM']When you need 2 or more credit cards to obtain it it's too much, what you've done there is perfectly acceptable. If I could find an explorer shaped fiver I'd be on the phone to my landlord making excuses in no time.

Gather round my children and I shall tell you a story.....

Once apon a time in the late 90's, my guit*rist at the time called me on the telephone - which was the communication device of choice at the time. He proceded to inform me that Academy of Sound (later to become Sound Control, then more recently fall on it's a*se) had a five (yes five!!) string Ibanez bass for £550 in stock. Now bear in mind that this was a simpler time, when Korn ruled the NuMetal airwaves and my beard was trying hard but not quite making the cut. I promptly got myself to the aforementioned music shop (if anyone here is familiar with the Norwich branch, this was when it was on the other side of Anglia Square - before it was a candle shop or whatever it is now!) and tried out their nice shiney Ibanez Ergodyne 5 string.
As I mentioned earlier, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Coal Chamber and such bands were just beginning to take the heavy music scene in the death grip that they would hold for all of about ten minutes, and I was seventeen (give or take, my memory isn't what it used to be kids!), so the decision was pretty much made before I even entered the shop. I tried the bass on for size - it certainly did have five strings! I thought it best to consult the local cash machine for advice - IT WAS PAYDAY, so I could have the bass but wouldn't have a great deal of wedge to go out on the lash with until the same time a month later. This didn't matter as I'd have a brand spanking five string bass and therefore be the envy of at least half a dozen of my friends until that day.
Job Jobbed - or so I thought until I'd gotten as far as the aforementioned Guit*rist's house on the way home. His mum asked if I was sure I could afford the bass I had in my (big, strong, masculine) arms and I explained the maths to her..... right up to the point where I remembered that being as it was infact the very day my paycheque had gone into my bank, my housekeeping for the coming month was yet to be payed to my own mothers bank account. *rses I thought.

Here's the moral:

I had a tenner to last me a month when I was a teenager - Ten years later and I've still got my first five string bass. Winner.

Go for it Sarah.

Tune in next week when I'll tell you all about how I promised to pay my mum back for my first proper bass (second one I was to own) and never did! (I pay my own way in life nowadays, honest!!!)

p.s. I've got somewhere close to ten basses now (can't count properly 'cos I'm half cut) and I only play 2 plus 2 back-ups on a regular basis, and I'm just small fry on this forum!!!![/quote]
Tell me more oh wise one :)

Haha awesome story

Also i've been thinking about getting a bass similar to that just for my band, but the one pickup version, you might be familiar with them? My guitarist won't let me have the explorer though because he uses a gibby explorer haha, i might get a V tbh when i can afford it. I'm assuming it's the same pickups, so it actually sounds pretty nice? Could you elaborate a bit? :huh: How does it play too?

Oh and grats, that looks pretty nice! (apart from the skulls... :), not too sure about them)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='228809' date='Jun 29 2008, 12:22 AM']My guitarist won't let me have the explorer though because he uses a gibby explorer haha,[/quote]
You should tell him to like or lump it. He can't dictate what you play unless he pays for it. :)

Nice bass Sarah - I've always fancied an explorer, but the band I'm in has a kind of rock/blues/soul/country/rockabilly hybrid sound, so I settled for a thunderbird instead.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='229071' date='Jun 29 2008, 03:59 PM']You should tell him to like or lump it. He can't dictate what you play unless he pays for it. :)

Nice bass Sarah - I've always fancied an explorer, but the band I'm in has a kind of rock/blues/soul/country/rockabilly hybrid sound, so I settled for a thunderbird instead.[/quote]

My guitarist didn't like my old pink and yellow P-Bass so i played it more just to anoy him :huh:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='229073' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:08 PM']My guitarist didn't like my old pink and yellow P-Bass so i played it more just to anoy him :)[/quote]
my old vocalist hated my silver jacket, because it made more people look at me than him. Obviously I wore it more (even I don't really like it :huh: ).

BOT Nice bass, what are the pups? Are they soap bars, or smaller HB's?