Why become a member? ×

The Blockheads Live at Eric's

Green Alsatian

I've just got back from probably the best gig I've ever been to, watching The Blockheads playing at Eric's in Liverpool.

I grew up with New Boots & Panties, as my old man (no pun intended) bought it for my mother when it came out in '77. I missed out on seeing them with Ian on several occasions in the 90s through various circumstances, much to my chagrin. I missed a gig in town a couple of years ago when Derek The Draw took over on vocals, through getting my dates mixed up.

Not tonight! :)

They were fantastic and played a great selection, including a few from the new album, 'Same Horse Different Jockey', which I've been hammering since it came out a few weeks ago. Derek did a smashing job with the older material.

Naturally, Norm was on top form. I was wondering what his bass was, as I'd noticed that he wasn't using the Bass Collection Blockhead bass in clips of him playing with Wilko recently, so I got a good look at the headstock tonight, which reads 'Faith & Grace'. It's a custom-built model, based on his '62 in shoreline gold from Joseph Kay Guitars.

Sounded fantastic in Norm's capable hands - such a pleasure to see a bass hero of mine live at last. (especially after seeing Scott Gorham in action with the Black Star Riders two weeks ago)

Edited by Green Alsatian

I had the privilege of watching ID & the B's in Warwick not long before ID died. It was a stellar show, but they only played 11 songs. At the end I was shouting like mad for more, but also felt the poor fella desperately deserved a lie down.

A while afterwards I had the pleasure of meeting Chaz Jankel and NWR at a B's gig and they recalled that very gig in Warwick, and commented on how very poorly ID had been. I'm glad the B's are still around, but can't help missing the original 'jockey'.

BB

I've seen them a couple of times at Ripley Blues Club in the last few years, with Derek the Draw. The way they work together as a band is really exceptional, and Derek is a very engaging front man. Well worth making the effort to see them, even if you're not that familiar with their stuff.

Looking forward to seeing them on Thursday in Portsmouth - should be good!

Saw Norman and friends there a few weeks ago and was mesmerized. I didn't realise there was no seating and so stood for 3 hours on a duff hip and didn't notice. It hurt like hell the next day but it was worth it.

Went out and bought a shooting stick ready for Thursday!