Why become a member? ×

de afwerking mk4-7 - blablas next build project

blablas

I'm starting another build project.... and build diary.

The plan: A left handed fretted seven string with a bolt-on neck and a single cut body.

[size=2](the position for the pickups in this picture are not yet where I want them, they are just there for size)[/size]

The details:
- Seven strings, #F to C
- My mk4 body shape
- Bolt on neck, fretted
- 35 inch scale
- 2 dual action truss rods
- 2 Delano dual coils, switchable in series/single/parallel
- Glockenklang 2 band preamp, 3 knobs
- Single-string bridge parts, gold
- Warwick tuners, gold
- Myrtlewood top and back
- Khaya Mohogany body core
- Snakewood fingerboard
- The woods I'm going to use for the neck will be decided once I'm there

I still need to design the headstock.

For the time being I'm working on gathering the parts I need, the actual building will probably start somewhere halfway of February.

The main rough pieces of wood I'll be using for this build.

Edited by blablas

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the template with which the complete bass will be build.

As soon as I'm coming out of hibernation and start working again I will start sawing the big pieces of wood into something that can be worked with at home. Edited by blablas

• 3 weeks later...

The wood for the body is ready to be glued together.

Leveled the body core on both sides, glued together the top and back halves and leveled the side that is going to be glued to the core, also prepared the cover for the control cavity.
I just barely managed to get out a piece of wood that is big enough to be used as a top for the headstock.

Edited by blablas

This is really great to watch. I've just been taking a look at your web site. You have done some amazing work on your other basses. Do you keep them all?

Are you a luthier by profession? If not, how do you find time to do all this AND play?

Thanks for this look at your work anyway.

Cheers

Richard

They were all build for my personal use.

I'm not a luthier, I'm a instumentmaker by profession so I'm used to making and thinking out things. Being a instrumentmaker has nothing to do with musical instruments by the way, I build, develop, maintain and repair laboratory equipment for the physics department at the Leiden University.

As far as time is concerned, I'm a quick worker once I know what needs to be done and making a bass guitar is not really rocket science, basically it's just gluing together some chunks of wood and after that give those chunks the shape you want it to have.

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1391343557' post='2355937']
making a bass guitar is not really rocket science, basically it's just gluing together some chunks of wood and after that give those chunks the shape you want it to have.
[/quote]

:lol: Loving your modesty! If only the reality were the same as that theory - as your build diaries show, there are so many stages to the process, and every one must be completed with absolute accuracy and attention to detail for the desired end result.

I tried once many years ago and the finished guitar was barely playable, so huge respect to you, very impressive skills!