Why become a member? ×

Barefaced. Now's your chance!!

Conan

I have had a BF Super 12T for nearly two years, I am a very satisified customer not a fanboy, I am hoping to take delivery of a new Super Compact this month, ultimately I judge with my ears and could not be happier, the fact that the cabs are also great for those with back and other issues is a bonus - thank you Alex :)
The BF website is full of so much good info, I have learnt a lot from it and made my buying choices armed with a bit of knowledge which to me is important .

Oooh, a Barefaced thread, that's new, can I join in? :P

I worried about spending my hard-earned but after two years with the non-T Midget this thing has never failed to sock it out. Almost the only times I've ever DI'd have been outdoors. About 200+ gigs with soul bands, rockabilly four-pieces, hardcore bluesers, folky rockers. Waft up looking casual, plonk weeny box in a corner, fire up the TB500, accept a drink, plug in, boom. Punch, clarity, all the shizzle. Uh, I may have been more than a little too loud on occasion. WTF do you lot with the big cabs sound like? Jeez. Nice one Alex and crew.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1388717025' post='2325314']
Oooh, a Barefaced thread, that's new, can I join in? :P

I worried about spending my hard-earned but after two years with the non-T Midget this thing has never failed to sock it out. Almost the only times I've ever DI'd have been outdoors. About 200+ gigs with soul bands, rockabilly four-pieces, hardcore bluesers, folky rockers. Waft up looking casual, plonk weeny box in a corner, fire up the TB500, accept a drink, plug in, boom. Punch, clarity, all the shizzle. Uh, I may have been more than a little too loud on occasion. WTF do you lot with the big cabs sound like? Jeez. Nice one Alex and crew.
[/quote]

`Musician needs/wants a new cab, makes decision based on information available at the time, pays money, recieves product, is either satisfied or not with product, if satisfied then brand loyalty follows, if not buys another brand` the world keeps going round, nobody gets hurt or killed, politics are such a bad thing :)

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

In the interest of balance I think this poll should be repeated for every brand of Loudspeaker manufacturer.

This carping on about relatively small issues on one brand is tiresome. Can you imagine the Americans carrying on like this about one of their own. My own Ashdown 5-15 has a lightweight handle that looks fragile and probably wouldn't last as long as the rest of the box. The carpet finish attracts the dust as well as the cat! It's shape, combined with the handle position makes it awkward to carry and very hard on the wrist, but it's adequate for my indoor needs. It doesn't have any internal damping panels. It's slightly honky and boomy all at the same time. Getting it to a
bass-bash requires a lengthy drag from the upstairs bedroom and a sack-barrow/trolley to the car. It's a compromise.

Barefaced cabs seem to have far fewer compromises and have a particular focus on light weight with a definite appliance of acoustic science and engineering. This R&D, choices of particular materials and small-scale manufacture costs money, but it achieves the design brief. Many other "big brands" out there don't seem to apply much acoustic science or engineering beyond the bare minimum. It's all about showroom appeal.

Personally I'm equivocal. I've heard others play them at 2 bass-bashes. Not heard them anywhere else. They make a big sound. Couldn't find a question box that fits my overall opinion. Could have ticked boxes 2,3,4,9,12 and 13. I settled for one.

Balcro.

Not sure that they should be immune for any critique just because they are local.
Some people love them, some people loathe them...
You aren't suggesting that we all look the other way if someone thinks that they
have a valid point to make.. .??? that goes both ways.

If they are any good, they will survive, if they're not, they wont....same as anyone else..

I've neither heard or even seen a Barefaced cab in the flesh, and can't afford one anyways. They do however, seem to get a disproportionate amount of criticism. A simple question about a handle turned into a product assassination...problems with handles have apparently hit Markbass at some time, we don,t however see posts then saying the whole product is crap. Others seem to confuse not liking the finish with saying that barefaced have a poor finish.

Criticism is valid only if it has substance and isn't just the usual British 'have a knock' at something.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388776204' post='2325999']

You aren't suggesting that we all look the other way if someone thinks that they
have a valid point to make.. .??? that goes both ways.

[/quote]

Well, since you mention this... I would say you are just about the most vocal and enthusiastic critic of Barefaced. Your doggedness in this respect seems to know no bounds. Yet as far as I am aware you have never actually made a *valid* point. Many a time you have hinted at some menace that is better left unsaid, but never actually given chapter and verse. Other than the fact that you don't like them. And it is this that I do not understand.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1388762492' post='2325756']
[color=#0000CD]In the interest of balance I think this poll should be repeated for every brand of Loudspeaker manufacturer.[/color]

This carping on about relatively small issues on one brand is tiresome. Can you imagine the Americans carrying on like this about one of their own. My own Ashdown 5-15 has a lightweight handle that looks fragile and probably wouldn't last as long as the rest of the box. The carpet finish attracts the dust as well as the cat! It's shape, combined with the handle position makes it awkward to carry and very hard on the wrist, but it's adequate for my indoor needs. It doesn't have any internal damping panels. It's slightly honky and boomy all at the same time. Getting it to a
bass-bash requires a lengthy drag from the upstairs bedroom and a sack-barrow/trolley to the car. It's a compromise.

Barefaced cabs seem to have far fewer compromises and have a particular focus on light weight with a definite appliance of acoustic science and engineering. This R&D, choices of particular materials and small-scale manufacture costs money, but it achieves the design brief. Many other "big brands" out there don't seem to apply much acoustic science or engineering beyond the bare minimum. It's all about showroom appeal.

Personally I'm equivocal. I've heard others play them at 2 bass-bashes. Not heard them anywhere else. They make a big sound. Couldn't find a question box that fits my overall opinion. Could have ticked boxes 2,3,4,9,12 and 13. I settled for one.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Nicely put, in context I dont think they are too expensive, before I went to BareFaced I must have spent more on inferior cabs than what my Super 12T cost me, 2xTC Electronics BC212s plus a GK MBE115, I got rid of them at a loss as usual, the S12 is far superior, if I had not bought them and got the S12 first I would have spent no more for a quality product, I had a practice last night and th BF still does it for me :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1388778914' post='2326041']
I've neither heard or even seen a Barefaced cab in the flesh, and can't afford one anyways. They do however, seem to get a disproportionate amount of criticism. A simple question about a handle turned into a product assassination...problems with handles have apparently hit Markbass at some time, we don,t however see posts then saying the whole product is crap. Others seem to confuse not liking the finish with saying that barefaced have a poor finish.

Criticism is valid only if it has substance and isn't just the usual British 'have a knock' at something.
[/quote]

This sounds reasonable and level-headed to me.
Someone said something about the harshest criticism coming mainly from people who were on BC when Alex started out, and that was my personal impression too. It may be wrong of course, but in case this is indeed correct, there may be a case of old feelings making people less open and flexible, and reading stuff about BF like the guy from the hot place reads the bible.

I've never seen or heard a BF, but to me the positives seem to outweigh to negatives by far. As a result, I had in fact ordered two, but had to put the process to rest due to family circumstances, so can't comment from experience yet.