Why become a member? ×

Yngwie Malmsteen, guitar abuser.

Fionn

I don't mind some of these widdly-widdly guys - EVH and Satch in particular, because they have TUNES. Vai tends to get a bit otherworldly for my taste, and as for Mr Malmsteen - I couldn't get past the frilly shirts and gut. Or the total lack of soul, the pomposity and the scalloped fingerboard. WTF is that all about? Knobend.

I bought one of his albums a long time back,.. some strange song about being a Viking,..ho ho (checks haven't bought a spinal tap album by mistake,. nope),.. wow,.. amazing guitar work,.. after several songs though I was seriously bored. He's great, but I couldn't manage a whole one. Uli Roth seems to have a lot more melody and soul for my tastes. I do thank Yngwie for inspiring those overdubbed parody vids on youratube, hilarious.

I'd prefer the guitars being played and banged than sitting in a air con case TBH.

Alcatrazz was a great band with Bonnet & Malmsteen- he never sounded better than on 'No Parole' really and Bonnet was a great singer very up and down vocal wise, when he could find them notes he was unmatched .

Soundtrack of my youth.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1386859363' post='2305493']
I'd prefer the guitars being played and banged than sitting in a air con case TBH.

Alcatrazz was a great band with Bonnet & Malmsteen- he never sounded better than on 'No Parole' really and Bonnet was a great singer very up and down vocal wise, when he could find them notes he was unmatched .

Soundtrack of my youth.
[/quote]

ah, Bonnet...
The Alcatrazz album and Michael Schenker Group "Assault Attack"... incredible!

Astoundingly brilliant guitar player – it’s easy to get blinded by the speed and technique but profoundly musical as well. Unfortunately he can’t write a song to save his life!

A bit of a kn0b by all accounts as well…

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386872516' post='2305815']
Are you able to explain why you think it's bollocks?
[/quote]

Not speaking for the person quoted and don't know if I'd describe it as bollocks, there's bits of stuff I kind of like but players like him always seem to have learnt their theory to the Nth degree and then applied it so stagnantly and without musicality. It's almost like they've made music a depressing chore or a science. I can't enjoy music that sounds like it lacks soul and for me personally, it lacks soul.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1386883294' post='2306060']
Astoundingly brilliant guitar player – it’s easy to get blinded by the speed and technique but profoundly musical as well. [b]Unfortunately he can’t write a song to save his life![/b]
[/quote]

That's kind of the clincher for me.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386891239' post='2306236']
Not speaking for the person quoted and don't know if I'd describe it as bollocks, there's bits of stuff I kind of like but players like him always seem to have learnt their theory to the Nth degree and then applied it so stagnantly and without musicality. It's almost like they've made music a depressing chore or a science. I can't enjoy music that sounds like it lacks soul and for me personally, it lacks soul.

[/quote]

What is SOUL in this context? And why do you believe it lacks it?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386891456' post='2306240']
What is SOUL in this context? And why do you believe it lacks it?
[/quote]

It's personal and probably not entirely tangible and not something everyone will agree on. I can put on Hendrix's Little Wing and feel like the guy can really just sing through his guitar, or like his guitar is a natural extension of him. I can't buy into that with Yngwie because it always sounds like he's worked too hard at being the best without ever having paid attention to making or writing a good tune. To me he's made guitar no fun. I'm totally speaking for myself here of course.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386891871' post='2306242']
It's personal and probably not entirely tangible and not something everyone will agree on. I can put on Hendrix's Little Wing and feel like the guy can really just sing through his guitar, or like his guitar is a natural extension of him. I can't buy into that with Yngwie because it always sounds like he's worked too hard at being the best without ever having paid attention to making or writing a good tune. To me he's made guitar no fun. [b]I'm totally speaking for myself here of course.[/b]
[/quote]
Wisdom.

[/quote]
I think that Malmsteen is supremely musical and I would disagree that his guitar playing lacks soul. However, no matter how good a guitarist is, they need to be put their playing in a musical context and he is a consistently poor song writer and his ego seems to mean that he is unable to collaborate in a meaningful with anyone.

To me, his most enjoyable records have been him playing covers or goofing off on tribute albums where he has superior material to work with…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cev-Sjhab_M

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386891871' post='2306242']

It's personal and probably not entirely tangible and not something everyone will agree on. I can put on Hendrix's Little Wing and feel like the guy can really just sing through his guitar, or like his guitar is a natural extension of him. I can't buy into that with Yngwie because it always sounds like he's worked too hard at being the best without ever having paid attention to making or writing a good tune. To me he's made guitar no fun. I'm totally speaking for myself here of course.
[/quote]
I think that he can be quite good fun at times (especially on the covers) but you have put your finger on why he is certainly no Hendrix...

+1 This is it, only I would go as far as saying its Bolloc
[/quote]

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1386893048' post='2306256']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]+1 This is it, only I would go as far as saying its Bolloc[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

What if I tell you that for me it's NOT Bolloc?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1386927480' post='2306419']
The curse of subjectivity. Why can't we just all agree?. Opinions opinions.
[/quote]

Well there we are then. It's just that the way you expressed YOUR opinion seemed to be pitched more as fact.