Why become a member? ×

Yngwie Malmsteen, guitar abuser.

Fionn

Kn0b or not, genius or not, boring or not (all subjective) He put the hours in and can play, and is definately a part of rock music history. He is what he is and love him or hate him, he contributed, unlike the million ultra-fast bedroom guitarists on You tube that don't.

I like him.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386927672' post='2306424']
Well there we are then. It's just that the way you expressed YOUR opinion seemed to be pitched more as fact.
[/quote]

My opinion is just exactly that, shrouded in subjectivity . Of course all that matters is that I am always right :biggrin:

One area where I can say his skill and ability is most certainly inferior is when he tries to play acoustic guitar., He has no sense of it whatsoever. You'd think someone so into classical music would learn some classical technique -- as did Randy Rhodes. Many other guitarists have dabbled as well -- Van Halen, DiMaola, even Kirk Hammet (with mixed results). But Yngwie play acoustic like an electric -- even bending strings and looking like he's trying to get it to sustain. It's astonishingly amateurish.

This is a guy who had a great apptitude to facile playing, studied and practiced for many hours and then figured he was the greatest. And that's where it stopped. And that's what you get.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1386892068' post='2306245']
I think that Malmsteen is supremely musical and I would disagree that his guitar playing lacks soul. However, no matter how good a guitarist is, they need to be put their playing in a musical context and he is a consistently poor song writer and his ego seems to mean that he is unable to collaborate in a meaningful with anyone.

To me, his most enjoyable records have been him playing covers or goofing off on tribute albums where he has superior material to work with…

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cev-Sjhab_M[/media]
[/quote]

That does show that he played far more musically when being forced into (some) restraints.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1387036549' post='2307667']
That does show that he played far more musically when being forced into (some) restraints.
[/quote]
I'd just like to say I've never knowingly heard anything by him before and that cover was truly f*cking aweful. (keep yourself alive).
It was like a small kid showing off his tricks. The lack of humility or feel for the original material for an apparent musician is extraordinary.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1387066322' post='2307987']
I'd just like to say I've never knowingly heard anything by him before and that cover was truly f*cking aweful. (keep yourself alive).
It was like a small kid showing off his tricks. The lack of humility or feel for the original material for an apparent musician is extraordinary.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I can only agree, for me that was a horrible listen, a travesty.

[/quote]

+1. The original is a great song by a great band (Love that first Queen album), but here it is absolutely murdered. How any self respecting artist can release such garbage is beyond me.

It is easy to heap opprobrium on an individual when one is not personally acquainted with him.

Back in the 90's I sat on a NAMM 'What Is Tone?' panel with Mr Malmsteen and TV evergreen David Jason. Despite constant interjections of 'Perfick!' from the Darling Buds Of May star, Yngwie maintained his composure, graciously shook the old thespian's hand at the conclusion of the event and shepherded him to his car through a crowd of enraged metallers.

We should not be so quick to judge. :)

[/quote]
I think that you (and others here) are kinda missing the point!

If you look at another of one of my favourite guitarists, say Billy Gibbons. You don’t go and see the Rev Billy G and expect him to shred, you want to appreciate his touch, feel and sparse but expert note choices, all delivered with an eccentric sense of humour. Likewise, you know that Yngwie is going to assault your senses with an over the top display of prestigious technique, incredible musicality, fierce attack and absolutely no taste whatsoever!

Personally, I think that the Queen cover is a stunning display of guitar playing and is great fun without (for once) taking himself too seriously (and I am a big fan of the original). You may not appreciate it or indeed you may not like Yngwie. However you should at least acknowledge that he is an incredible player and has influenced many other top guitarists, many of whom have gone onto to make far better records than he ever has himself (e.g. Paul Gilbert / Mr Big, etc).

PS. If you think that Keep Yourself Alive is over the top, you should hear his pass at Gimme, Gimme, Gimme by ABBA…!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cUClZiUXsc