Why become a member? ×

Squier affinity p-bass

Greggo

Seen one of these in a bric - a brac shop near where I work for £60. Got a split in pickguard and and ding near jack but all in working order.

I know they are bottom rung in Squier line up but are they actually ok?

Any real world experience of using it for rehearsing / demo recording?

I had one on long term loan from one of our old guitarists. I used it for everything for a year, I just popped a used SD 1/4 pounder in there and it was fine.

£60 for the bass, a few quid on a scratch plate and a better pickup (if you feel it needs it) and you should have a useable bass for less than £100. Can't really go wrong.

Cool. Seriously considering selling my two basses in favour of a decent cheapo one as my involvement in playing live/recording is dwindling so the money raised from others can be diverted elsewhere! I seriously think all I need is a p bass of some description for the sound I want.

I actually had a play on it last week when I spotted it.Strings were dead, but neck was straight and the action was low. Only issue is that its red, I'm not a massive fan of red guitars ;) but I could live with it. Maybe a prettier pickguard could help its cause.

Play it first! I've played a few Affinities and although most are OK, some are outstanding. Get a good one and they are a brilliant platform for modding. The standard pickups are very weak, so I would replace that first. I put a (cheap!) GFS overwound in mine and it sounded great. A Bass Doc 3-ply plate, upgraded pots and I was away. It was my main bass for quite a while.

If the neck is good, you can't go wrong! B)

Edit - I see you have already played it. Why don't I read things properly before responding? :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

I bought one in Cash Convertors a few weeks back purely because I liked the colour. I used it for a recording the other week and It actually sounds ok.

I've put a better wiring loom in it thanks to KiOgon on here. I plan on putting a SD 1/4 pounder in it soon and changing the tuners.

You can hear it on this recording https://soundcloud.com/ninjababymusic/moody-christmas

Had another look today and a play and it is genuinely a good instrument. Plays as well as my Yammy BB414 (so if in the real world it sounds decent too, I wont have any qualms in shifting the Yammy on in favour of making this my main bass)

The shop owner is interested in a trade for a Tele copy I've got (but maybe a couple of quid his way)

Can anyone help date it with the serial number?

CY20710636 (crafted in China)

It has 20th anniversary on the neck plate, don't know if this makes it a particular model or not.

I got one which I am in the process of [s]doing up[/s] meddling with...

Thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209842-squier-precision-mic-re-birth/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

I think its fairly unsophisticated but enjoyable enough to play. As I uprate all the bits it sounds better and better!

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

I did put the SPB-3s in and it sounds great! I was at my mate's last night and sorted out the crackle by just unsoldering the black wire from the pups and then soldering back again. Works like magic!

The tuners were sort of a ball-ache but actually not as much as I imagined they would be. However it wasn't the most elegant solution.

One of the other forum members - Ou7shined had a much cleverer approach which doesn't require an angle grinder :rolleyes: :

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1384789461' post='2280720']
I fabricated a 3+1+0 a few years ago. :D

It was my crafty solution for the big assed tuners not fitting the standard headstock without sticking out over the edge.

[/quote]

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

I've a jazz affinity....did a quick set up....small bit off the nut and plays fine.....its been my bass of the week funnily enough. Its got a real soft spot in my heart as it reignited my GAS.
After becoming ill and selling off my 'higher end' collection and getting down to my yamaha rbx a2 and a westfield p bass keepers i saw this jazz fir sale just up the road and thought what a cracking bass it was.....I've now got more bass's than before I got a bad pancreas! I will never own an expensive bass when affinitys etc play just as well for my limited talent.

if you do a squier wiki search there us a good page describing models and dates etc.

Edited by iconic

I've had one and played a few others.
Generally, the are OK, nothing more nothing less.
For the money there are better, undervalued basses that do not sport the premium of the Fender / Squier name.
I had a Westfield P that was much better, also the Vintage P Basses, especially the Tony Butler signature one.

I decided not to bother in the end on this bass. I may still get a cheap knockabout bass and sell others but not in a rush. I have heard lots of good things about the Westfield p, I do like the black and maple one. Seen someone put a tort pickguard on and it looked decent.

no arguments here with westfield p bass....never seen a later one with a tort p/g though...and fender clones didnt fit mine...and i have 3 of them....one of hem has been treated to alpha pots and wiring upgrade and .1uf cap.....shouldnt if bothered dont sound any better than the other two! All of mine needed a nut massage for a real low action...pups are quite hot standard and great slap tone being quite bright....excellent necks on all if them and very stable...buy and enjoy.