Why become a member? ×

Squier bass vi question

still-young

I preferred the white one but not enough to wait for it that long, and in either case I wasn't happy with the pick guard so that would have had to change. It is a bit of a shame they have restricted the colours on the bass vi to those three (the sunburst one is even harder to get), but then they can't keep up with demand so it probably isn't hurting them.

So I am guessing you didn't get enough money for christmas to get the fender!

I am glad I played the fender when I did as now I have a basis of comparison when the squier turns up.

I wasn't far off I guess, but I wanted the squier anyway, I prefer the pickup selectors and the neck, I know they're little things but for the price difference as well...

I played the fender today, just to get a feel of it upside down, so I have that comparison too. The fender is good, but for like £400 difference...

[quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388253586' post='2320045']
The Fender Bass VI was introduced in the early 60s and they did a lefty, so another option is to try and find a vintage lefty Bass VI for easy money.
[/quote]
Not sure what you mean by easy money but all the 1960s Fender Bass VIs i've seen recently are around the £5,000 mark.
[quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388253586' post='2320045']
BTW, it not a Bass, it's a Baritone guitar, the most famous exponent being Robert Smith from The Cure
[/quote]
BTW, It's a Bass. It is definitely is NOT a Baritone guitar.

Robert Smith may be the most famous Bass VI player to you but i'd put Jack Bruce, Jet Harris and Glen Campbell as being pretty famous for playing them and there was also a couple of blokes called Harrison and Lennon that used them.

Edited by BetaFunk

I can't imagine finding an original lefty Fender Bass VI in a comparative price bracket to the Squier.

Surely being tuned E to E in the bass range makes it a bass, I thought tuning it between bass and standard guitar made it a Baritone ie, A to A, B to B or C to C etc.

A baritone was originally a 5th down, so A-A, a bass is an octave down, so the bass VI is definitely a bass. Clue is in the name really!
Fender do a Telecaster blacktop that is B-B which is a 27" scale, the bass VI is 30"
Having said that, it seems to confuse the shops, half of them put it under guitars, the other half under basses.

I would say an original fender Bass VI left handed would make the new fender at £600 seem like a bargain. Last original bass VI I saw on ebay was £1200 and I would assume that a lefty would be a good chunk more as it would be less common and left handed people like paying more ;)

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388256134' post='2320102']
.I would say an original fender Bass VI left handed would make the new fender at £600 seem like a bargain. Last original bass VI I saw on ebay was £1200 and I would assume that a lefty would be a good chunk more as it would be less common and left handed people like paying more ;)
[/quote]
I haven't seen an original Bass VI goes for anywhere near as low as £1200 for many years. A Japanese one, yes, but not a 1960s U.S. made one. These go for between $5,500-$7,000 in the U.S. with Custom colours going for anything between $10,000-$14,000.

The last one i saw in the UK was a 1965 Olympic White one which was for sale at £5,000.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388256134' post='2320102']
Last original bass VI I saw on ebay was £1200
[/quote]

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388260719' post='2320199']
Yes, this was a japanese one. I have never seen an original US one.
[/quote]
Yes that's why i questioned your post about the price of an 'original' Bass VI as the Japanese ones are re-issues not originals.