Why become a member? ×

Using an amp more powerful than your cabs!

jimbobothy

[quote] Speaker driver ratings are the same ones used for DJ speakers which run heavily compressed full range music all night. That limit assumes that you are delivering is RMS value constantly. If a bass player does that, he's a poor player.
A bit unfair perhaps? If the music/band/situation calls for it (and it could happen, I suppose!) then surely that makes you a good player? Doing what is required?

Just a thought! ][/quote]

Actually Conan what I meant was that a DJ is pumping out full frequency range music containing compressed instruments and a heavily compressed final mix, and it never lets up. Only ever a few db below max limit - For hours.
Bass players play discreet notes. So, for a bassist to break a driver by emitting the constant power to overheat, he's not playing notes, and he's probably impossible as well. Maybe somewhere there is an art-house demand for a guy to play 2 hours of sustained feedback. :gas:

Edited by Pbassred

Guest bassman7755

My previous rig was a bridged QSC amp running 1.6kw (potentially) into a 700w cab. IMO you can never have too much amp power - what you don't use gets translated into clean headroom.