Why become a member? ×

Amps under £500

jonsebass

Looking for a new amp (as in shop new) and have a £500 budget. What's best in your opinion?

I play in a covers band; pubs, clubs, weddings etc, and its all rock and indie rock (normal stuff really).

I've been looking at the Genz Benz Contours and TC Electronic BG250's but am open to other opinions, even on speaker configuration etc.

And of course if it's cheaper than £500 then theres room for a new bass too :)

Cheers

True. I should explain... I bought a used trace, insured it, and it blew up at a gig. Got it fixed but it hasn't been the same and always that sneaking feeling that it might go at any point and it still intermittently cuts out.

So I cashed the insurance in and they paid out fully but I need to buy a new amp before they will cover me on it again.

Plus, I bought my first new bass this year and wanted to follow up with a new amp. I've never had that much to spend on an amp (or anything) before and am like a kid in a sweet shop!

I know ebay will give me more clout but I don't want the risk of being in the same situation again.

Understood matey, ignore evilbay except in dire emergency, tread the 'for sale' boards on here with your eyes open and there are bargains aplenty!

Alternatively the genz stuff is well worth investigating and there are killer deals on it at the mo :)

What I'd want in an amp is loudness (without farting out at hi volumes), portability, versatile EQ, expandability (i.e. can I add another speaker at a later date if I need more volume) and a price I can afford (there's no such thing as a cheap but good bass amp - cheap = disappointing sound and farting speakers).

Personally I'd go for Ashdown as they tick all the boxes above if you want to buy new.

If you want to go secondhand, all of a sudden you get into professional gear territory and you have a much wider choice of the likes of GK, Markbass, EBS etc.

Edited by gjones

I take it by "Amp" you mean "Amp & Cab or Combo" & not just an amp with no speakers?
I'd be trying out the Genz Benz stuff if it's new you're after. As for speaker config, that's up to you.
I'd suggest going to a good bass shop or 2 & trying out a few different things.

Lozz makes sense.

Lots of stuff in the Amps & Cabs for sale thread here...EBS are very good value for money - you can be pretty sure that those for sale aren't being sold as the owner doesn't like the sound/tone - rich deep tones to die for.

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by my recently purchased Genz Benz and these are available at silly prices at, amongst others GAK/ Bass Direct.

I'm also not unhappy with my Phil Jones Flightcase but as you previously destroyed a Trace Elliot these may not be hardy enough (expecting you to turn it up VERY loud).

I wasn't impressed with the Markbass JB combo that I had - lacked something...

You blew up an Ashdown as well? What do you do to your amps? That's more failures than I've had in 40 years. If it still has a problem I'd get them to fix it properly.

How much do you pay a year for your cover?

Edited by chris_b

I can recommend the Genz contour 500. I had one for a short while and only moved it on as I do prefer the mix and match possibilities of separates.
You can lift the Contour with one hand although it is a bit bulky to actually walk anywhere far with it. The EQ is very flexible and has a few nice features as well such as an Aux in, headphones, and tuner out.
.....and a big selling point is the ability to add an extension cab which I don't think you can do with the BG250.

They are £329 or something like that from BassDirect.

No the Ashdown had a problem with the transistor so im told. The heat sink snapped off the circuit board and shorted out the Trace.

I pay about £60 a year for 1m liability cover, and amp and bass insurance for 500 and 300.

And I mean combo.

I think a trip to Mark at Bass Direct is in order. Really like the Contout