Why become a member? ×

9V / 12 V / 18V fx supplies using Isolated DC/DC converters

rmorris

Hi.
Following on from various threads on power supplies for effects I was wondering if anyone here has used isolated DC/DC modules to make a supply for multiple pedals / different dc voltages.
I know there's a potential issue with switching noise but I've used these (with filtering) for high performance audio circuits in the past.
Your input appreciated.
Cheers.

[quote name='lmbalcao' post='232396' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:01 AM']Vodoo Lab Pedar Power Plus..[/quote]

thanks.
But the Voodoo Labs uits use a linear supply with isolated secondary windings ( going from their website info ).

I was meaning using 'isolated DC/DC converter modules' as produced by C+D and others to realise the supplies - probably powering the individual supplies from one step down transformer / psu.
Basically wondering if any diyers had tried it.

The Voodoo Labs stuff does look good though.

I did one for Higgie using a dual output DC/DC converter (Traco) with filter caps and regulators, but I believe he had a lot of noise problems from it.

BTW, C&D are no longer C&D, they're MuRata Power Solutions now - They offered me a job a couple of weeks back. :)

Andy

Hi folks,

Built my own supplies, but I used seperate transformer windings. My older version had 24, 18, 12 and 9 volts - this has found new home with a mate as I am just finishing the mark two...

Don't really know about dc - dc converters, but the idea of transformer isolated supplies is to eliminate ground loop issues - this is certainly useful if you own any line 6 fx...

interested if you wish to offer lowdown on what the dc - dc converters are and how economic an approach they are, how they perform etc...

:)