Why become a member? ×

Best Custom UK Builder?

phsycoandy

It all depends what you want from your bass and your builder, but if their work ticks your boxes you can't got far wrong with any of the following:

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]ACG[/url]
[url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]Gus[/url]
[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/"]Overwater[/url]
[url="http://www.seibass.com/"]Sei[/url]

Edited to make clickies for those not in the know

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='228238' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:28 PM']Just watched the Jon Shuker link to the TV programme and just wondered who is the best UK custom bass builder, im obviously biased the GB way, but there are several out there Overwater, Shuker, Status et al..........[/quote]

Purely a matter of personal opinion. Of which mine is Mike and his Zoot basses, and Jon and his Shukers :)

[quote name='dood' post='228246' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:37 PM']I can tell you who the best is, but I may look biased ;o)[/quote]
Ah well there rest the question Dood, is it because Shuker is the only custom builder uve had time to try? I am as guilty btw

A strange question perhaps Andy, who is the 'best'.

What I mean is it's very subjective. I've had a doodle with many custom basses and I'd have to say that non come up to the standard of my ACG Harlot in my own opinion. But, the ACG basses have distinctive styles and if you ask Alan to build you a J or a P he'll probably say no through gritted teeth :)

Alan will happily give you over 3 hours of his time personally going through all the options and he finishes his basses himself unlike most custom builders. His pre-amp is also fairly unique, if not generically then certainly specifically.

There are many beautiful looking and playing custom instruments out there and some are 'dogs' too. Sometimes I suspect even a good luthier can make an instrument that has problems or doesn't quite work out.

No-one can really give the answer unless thay have real deep knowledge and experience of ALL the products. There will be a lot of biased opinion though.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='228249' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:39 PM']Ah well there rest the question Dood, is it because Shuker is the only custom builder uve had time to try? I am as guilty btw[/quote]

Yes, my reply, although humourous, does spark such a debate. Here's my take on it and one of the reasons I say so. I am in no doubt that all the builders mentioned on this thread and countless others are amazing creators of the finest of products. Most Luthiers will build absolutely anything.. so you aren't really restricted at all when it comes to your designs. I researched quite heavily before I even started contacting a shortlist of those who I felt were in the general ball park when it came to what I was looking for. I would say that my tastes in instrument choice played a large part in my decisions also.

I wasn't *just* looking for someone who could build a bass. It was also about who was closest to my ideals to start with and then could understand where I was coming from in my requests . I will say that one or two that I contacted 'fell by the wayside' as they tried to impress their own ideals on what they felt I should have.

I needed someone I could work with and get on with as such a project is no doubt a time consuming one, so I suppose it's about building a relationship with a luthier which for me was also important.

It did take a very long while to play a lot of basses by many of our respected luthiers as well as part of my research.

I don't mind admitting that I am a very proud Shuker player. I love the fact that I have finally been able to get the bass I *really* wanted and not just what was on offer 'off the peg' as it were. I also regard Jon as a good friend and someone I can trust when it comes to creating.. well.. a bit of a masterpiece really! Thats why I have gone back to him again.

So, Shuker was the best *for me* and therefore, in my view.. the best. ;o)

[quote name='pete.young' post='228284' date='Jun 27 2008, 08:50 PM']Brian Eastwood of Bender Collision fame, obviously :-)

He doesn't make many basses, but Andrew Guyton makes the best 6-strings I've ever seen. When he's not too busy being Brian May's guitar technician that is.[/quote]

I'm being pedantic ;o) -Pete Malandrone is Bri's tech. Andy Guyton does make Brian's replica red specials though.(at about 7 grand a pop to the average punter apparently) I know Andy and have to say his attention to detail is stunning, especially with reference to Brian's unwavering need for perfection on his guitars.

Blimey, not another one of these questions....

This is all down to personal taste. How would you measure best?? Lightest, loudest, smoothest or perhaps the most colourful. Weight could be a good one as then you'll know how much bass you're getting for your money

In that case, my 14lb of Conklin GT7 wins and the Korean factory who produced Groove Tools stuff gets the prize :)

It's a bit like asking "what's the best bass"......

Edited by 7string

[quote name='dood' post='228289' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:01 PM']I'm being pedantic ;o) -Pete Malandrone is Bri's tech. Andy Guyton does make Brian's replica red specials though.(at about 7 grand a pop to the average punter apparently) I know Andy and have to say his attention to detail is stunning, especially with reference to Brian's unwavering need for perfection on his guitars.[/quote]

Thanks for putting me straight. Yes, it's attention to detail that really sets his work apart. I spent 25 minutes examining one of his set-neck instruments and I couldn't find the join. Craftsmanship of the very highest order.

Next time you see Andrew, tell him I have a Fylde Electric which needs setting up properly. That should get his attention!

Ben from Crimson Guitars probably deserves a mention in this thread too. There's something really compelling about his Workshop Diary.

Oooo la la!

I agree that the term `best' cannot be measured, perhaps `favourite' would be a better way of looking at it. The build quality at the top end of the market is comparable however, certain makers appeal to certain players.

My favourite UK makers are (in no order):

Jaydee
Status
E Basses
Sei
GB
Shuker
Overwater
Iceni Zoot
Organic
Wal

But I too lurve les Vigiers n'est ce pas!

hehe!

Nick

I own an Overwater, although it's one of the 80s "Original" models rather than from the current range. It was my first really good bass and my main instrument from when I bought it in the early 90s until I got my first Gus 5 years ago. Having been able to also play the newer basses they are more refined and versatile instruments, but for me they don't have the 'vibe' that the Originals do. It doesn't get too much use at the moment partly because of the Gus basses and partly because I play more fretless than fretted, but I doubt I could ever sell it.