Why become a member? ×

New line of British/Korean Basses

xgsjx

Was just having a look at ebay & came across the Alden Jupiter Bass.

It says: "Alden guitars are the result of a collaboration between UK guitar guru Alan Lester David Entwistle( ALDEN ) and one of Korea’s leading guitar companies."

Here's the link to the one on ebay: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Jupiter-Bass-Spalted-Maple-Top-4-5-or-6-String_W0QQitemZ180257578808QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180257578808&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Jupiter-Bass-S...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I especially like the line that says "If you are not only "cheap" looking, but also quality"

Who's gonna go & buy one & give us a review?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='228109' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:45 PM']Was just having a look at ebay & came across the Alden Jupiter Bass.

It says: "Alden guitars are the result of a collaboration between UK guitar guru Alan Lester David Entwistle( ALDEN ) and one of Korea’s leading guitar companies."

Here's the link to the one on ebay: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Jupiter-Bass-Spalted-Maple-Top-4-5-or-6-String_W0QQitemZ180257578808QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180257578808&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Jupiter-Bass-S...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I especially like the line that says "If you are not only "cheap" looking, but also quality"

Who's gonna go & buy one & give us a review?[/quote]

It's good to see them not to charge more for a 5 String on the Spalted one with the split scratchplates and only £15 more for a 6 stringer!

Nice looking bass. I like the split scratchplate thing going on!

It looks like the 6 string represents pretty good value, just being 15 squid more than the 4. I would be tempted if I wasn't in the middle of trying to kick an SX habit.

Maybe there should be some kind of BC review?

P.

"none could be even remotely described as “copies”"

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Club-Bass-Flamed-Maple_W0QQitemZ180257587188QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alden-Club-Bass-Flam...3QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
Hofner club?

and they did a copy of the Vox teardrop bass, which looks pretty good for the money.
[url="http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/aldenvxtroubadourteardropbasswhite-p-29.html"]http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/aldenvxtro...white-p-29.html[/url]
(no doubt it balances like a lead balloon though....)

I am sure he used to be the guitar tech repairer in Cranes Cardiff. Used to design with Tanglewood as well I seem to remember as I bought a prototype acoustic from them. i could be wrong but I you always remeber a name like entwhistle.

I'd spotted the semi as well & quite like the looks:

Kinda Rickyish in places.

£235 for a 4 or 5 string - would love to know what they are like.

As an owner of a Korean Lakland I'm certainly not going to assume that because it's Korean it's rubbish!

[quote name='molan' post='228226' date='Jun 27 2008, 06:46 PM']I'd spotted the semi as well & quite like the looks:

Kinda Rickyish in places.

£235 for a 4 or 5 string - would love to know what they are like.

As an owner of a Korean Lakland I'm certainly not going to assume that because it's Korean it's rubbish![/quote]

Headstock looks very Ibanez. Nice looking bass tho. Bet in 5-10 years they may be 5X the price, if they make some rep that is.

I really do not like that split pickguard... yet another place that'll be awkward to clean... first thing I'd do would be to use the existing ones as a pattern for a single piece job...

otherwise the bass looks great...

the chambered S-1004 looks absolutely fantastic... ./me want now!!!!!!!

the club bass... not so sure... the flamed maple top looks good though...

[quote name='NJE' post='228145' date='Jun 27 2008, 04:23 PM']I am sure he used to be the guitar tech repairer in Cranes Cardiff. Used to design with Tanglewood as well I seem to remember as I bought a prototype acoustic from them. i could be wrong but I you always remeber a name like entwhistle.[/quote]

and wrt

"I recall the name in connection with Hohner as well" :

Name rings a bell with me too - if it's the right guy I think he was involved with both Hohner ( then based in Carephilly 8 miles north of Cardiff ) and Cranes in St Mary St. Cardiff ( watch out for Torchwood aliens :-) ( I used to live in Cardiff )

Years ago I had a Hohner B2a setup in Cranes which should have been fine if he was in charge but it wasn't that great to be honest - since then I've had it setup at London Bass Gallery although to be fair it did need a fret dress so worked out fairly costly.

I have seen a few Alden istruments around and they do look pretty good - haven't checked them out in detail though.

• 1 month later...

Oh - never saw this thread before!

I have to admit I've got a bit of a semi for that semi - :brow:, would really like a look at these in real life.

Alan Entwistle was involved with the development of the Hohner Revelation "Eurofighter" guitars in the early 90s - he was part of a team of UK designers involved in the project, based in Wales. He was responsible for the strange electronics & ATX pickups on the Revolutions.

Jon.

I have had dealings with that seller (who has about a dozen accounts on ebay - check the business name and address). Everything will be absolutely fine unless something goes wrong, and then you will get stiffed. You won't find the price so reasonable then!

My case: bought a cheap neck-through bass. Noticed on first play that some of the frets had been installed in the wrong place, some as much as 3mm from where they should be. They would not take it back, would not send a different one, would not refund my cash. I couldn't help but notice that their English worsened at the same rate the problem did. My tip? Avoid, unless you have money to burn.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='253145' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:18 AM']I don't get why all these new companies don't get someone to design them a decent logo so it doesn't look like cheap rubbish![/quote]

No-one wants to pay money for design when a 5 minutes mucking about in WordArt will do fine. Besides it matches the bass nicely...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='253146' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:25 AM']I have had dealings with that seller (who has about a dozen accounts on ebay - check the business name and address). Everything will be absolutely fine unless something goes wrong, and then you will get stiffed. You won't find the price so reasonable then!

My case: bought a cheap neck-through bass. Noticed on first play that some of the frets had been installed in the wrong place, some as much as 3mm from where they should be. They would not take it back, would not send a different one, would not refund my cash. I couldn't help but notice that their English worsened at the same rate the problem did. My tip? Avoid, unless you have money to burn.[/quote]

I like the look of the six string with the split pickup.

If there is a problem with the instrument, can't you raise a paypal dispute?

Not in this case - I would have needed to send it to Germany (on my coin) to get a refund from Ebay or Paypal. I would have ended up about 95% out of pocket. I ended up selling all the parts on Ebay (making it clear that they were from a cheap, entry-level instrument) and giving away the somewhat useless bass as a sweetener in a guitar sale. I took a gamble - the bass was cheap, after all - and it didn't pay off. Another one chalked up to experience.

Go for the six string by all means, but be warned: the seller is dodgy and deals with sub-par instruments. But who knows? It may work out for you.