Why become a member? ×

Dug out my Dad's old albums recently

JamesBass

So Dad decided to inform me that he had his music collection sitting in our loft space and he had plenty of classic albums and good music up there. So I get the 2 boxes of vinyl and CDs down and have been in the process of ripping the CDs on to my iTunes so I can put it on my iPhone while I drive.

I've just sat down and listened to the ELO best of album and my god what an album! How unbelievably good were they! Jeff Lynne is a songwriting genius! The whole feel of the album is perfect, clean and polished production while being raw and natural, the bass lines cut through while still being bass-y and sitting well in the mix, phenomenal production and songwriting!

We need more bands like ELO to come through nowadays!

Anyone else a huge ELO fan?

Until I watched a documentary on BBC 4 recently, I didn't realise how well regarded he is by other musicians. He has worked with so many artists since the ELO days.

Mr Blue Sky always make me smile when it comes on the radio.

Report back to us on what other treasures are lurking in your Dads collection.

Yeah I always liked them, more so when I was young. I've seen them a couple of times, but never with Jeff. Somehow over the years my tastes have changed and I don't ever put their music on at home, but If a song comes on the radio I'll turn it up.

BTW who puts CD's in the loft? Or is me that still displays them??

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1386173040' post='2296731']
Until I watched a documentary on BBC 4 recently, I didn't realise how well regarded he is by other musicians. He has worked with so many artists since the ELO days.
[/quote]

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Lynne is a musical legend among his peers, which is the highest possible accolade.

If you're new to ELO and Jeff Lynne (and you like them) then do make time to watch that BB4 programme 'Mr Blue Sky - the story of Jeff Lynne and ELO. Here are the BBC programme notes, but it seems it's not on iplayer at present: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n3yf4

I could only find clips on youtube but it's available on itunes apparently:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/mr.-blue-sky-story-jeff-lynne/id587278559

ELO were one of the first bands I got into of my own volition rather than it being absorbed as a cross-over from my older brother's collection. My first album purchase was the 3-LP box containing On The Third Day/Eldorado/Face The Music. Some quality stuff there but then worked back and listened to their very early material whilst also catching up with the more recent releases (they were up to about Out Of The Blue by then so I guess we are talking '77-'78). They started to lose me a bit with the overtly disco 'Discovery' but did rally a little toward the end with interesting conceptual stuff like 'Time' which is well worth a listen. If you are looking for a more extensive compilation try the 3-disc 'Afterglow' which can often be picked up for peanuts second hand.

Not new to ELO by a long stretch but like many here, I've just forgotten about them and they've been adsorbed in to the pages of music history in terms of how current they are, Mr Blue Sky is forever on the radio and is, in my opinion, a fantastic feel good song, but it's not their best work without a shadow of doubt!

Found the Are You Experienced Album, as well as two or three Cream albums, there's plenty of Fleetwood Mac, as my Dad was a big fan of them. Got a few Deep Purple albums like Burn and some Iron Maiden ones.

Will continue looking tomorrow, now is time for some bass playing! ;)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1386178884' post='2296818']
Not new to ELO by a long stretch but like many here, I've just forgotten about them and they've been adsorbed in to the pages of music history in terms of how current they are, Mr Blue Sky is forever on the radio and is, in my opinion, a fantastic feel good song, but it's not their best work without a shadow of doubt!

Found the Are You Experienced Album, as well as two or three Cream albums, there's plenty of Fleetwood Mac, as my Dad was a big fan of them. Got a few Deep Purple albums like Burn and some Iron Maiden ones.

[/quote]

I discovered my Dad's stash when I was 14, 1994. Contained mostly Deep Purple, Sabbath, Cream, and Uriah Heep!

There was a bit of ELO in there, but I didn't really get it. May have to revisit now I'm wiser ;)

Sabbath I liked best at the time, but I really dig Purple these days.

In return, my Dad discovered my stash around the same time and became a massive Nirvana fan...!

Edited by cameltoe

The only records my Dad listened to were Harry Belafonte's Greatest Hits and a Music For Pleasure compilation album of Big War Film Movie Themes. Maybe being exposed to that music as a child explains why I have grown up with a love of reggae and compulsion to invade Poland.

I went thru my Dad's records when i was 17. I had a few of them... Made in Japan and some others i can't remember. But i ws suprised how into prog and Jazz fusion he was. I had no idea. Also he had an album by a band called Isotope. Turned out the guitar player, Gary Boyle, was one of my teachers at college. Small world!

10538 Overture was the first single I ever bought. I thought it was great (still do) even though somewhat of a rip off of I Am the Walrus.

But nothing they did after that had the same effect on me. Can't explain why really. I suppose it didn't sound dramatic enough somehow.

Fair play to the OP though for getting into some quality stuff. :-)

Edited by seashell

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1386178884' post='2296818']

[/quote]

Iron maiden?!? God I feel old . Had out of the blue and a couple of elo singles. Sold 'em and became a headbanger. Must download some again. Has your dad got any sparks ?

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386187618' post='2296981']
I went thru my Dad's records when i was 17. I had a few of them... Made in Japan and some others i can't remember. But i ws suprised how into prog and Jazz fusion he was. I had no idea. Also he had an album by a band called Isotope. Turned out the guitar player, Gary Boyle, was one of my teachers at college. Small world!
[/quote]
Made in japan . My fave purple album

I feel really old now reading this :unsure: Was bottle fed on the Beatles then Hendrix, cream, Purple........

My 10 year old son loves the old rock stuff (Cream, Free, Purple) but won't admit it to his mates at school because it ain't cool liking your oldies music.

ELO, great band have nearly all their albums, Eldordo being my fave.

Went thru an ELO phase recently....only then learnt that the Light part of the name refered to the size of the orchestra/ band....i grew up with dad always saying "turn that electric light off...i aint made of money"!

great band and even better musicians.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1386187633' post='2296983']
10538 Overture was the first single I ever bought. I thought it was great (still do) even though somewhat of a rip off of I Am the Walrus.
[/quote]

. . . and was itself subsequently ripped off by Paul Weller for Changing Man.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386187385' post='2296975']
The only records my Dad listened to were Harry Belafonte's Greatest Hits and a Music For Pleasure compilation album of Big War Film Movie Themes. Maybe being exposed to that music as a child explains why I have grown up with a love of reggae and compulsion to invade Poland.
[/quote]
That conjured up a comical image of a load of Rastas invading modern day Poland and having a massive Rave with all those fit Polish birds.