Why become a member? ×

What cover do you enjoy playing the most?

xgsjx

Fleetwood Macs version of "Shake Your Moneymaker" or Led Zeppelins version of "Travellin' Riverside Blues". All 3 of us in our blues band love playing these, electric and acoustic!

Edited by kristo

Such great responses that I had forgotten about. Won't Get Fooled Again is brilliant to play. Really enjoyed gigging that song and looking forward to doing it again soon.

My current favourite to play is Sound of Madness by Shinedown. It feels so great to be in a proper rock covers band after putting up with playing rubbish like Oasis for years!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGt-8adyabk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGt-8adyabk[/url]

Different songs for different bands. Nothing too complicated. In my old heavy rock band I used to enjoy playing 'The Outsider' by Black Country Communion as it really rocks along nicely. In my current 80s band I like playing 'Maneater' Hall and Oates just because it is a great groove.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1386265332' post='2298004']
Ooh that's toughie, I can't pick just one. Current faves are: I'm Gonna Tear Your playhouse Down; Sledgehammer and Babooshka.
[/quote]

Stab in the dark here... but do you perchance play a fretless? ;)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1386343586' post='2299066']
Good call. Might have to suggest that one for ours :-)
[/quote]
I think we might be having a crack at 'We Close Our Eyes', as it goes, as most of the band have seen Go West in the last fortnight or so. Did you catch then at the Cliff's, Warren?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386342187' post='2299040']

Stab in the dark here... but do you perchance play a fretless? ;)
[/quote]Who, mwah? :)

I play one more and more these days, but I've always loved the sound and feel; after early exposure to the brilliant stylings of Andy Fraser and John Entwistle it was Pino with Paul Young that made me go who's that, I want to do that? To be fair, 'Playhouse' sounds almost as good on fretted, it's just such a nice groove.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1386354463' post='2299281']
Im enjoying playing `Accident Prone` by Snakecharmer and `In a Broken Dream` by Thunder at the minute, neither song id heard of till i had to learn them.
[/quote]
Rod Stewart's vocal on the original Python Lee Jackson version of In a broken dream is great.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1386352293' post='2299230']
No, I couldn't make it? Did you go?
If you find yourself having to learn it, the playalong by "mattivenn" on You Tube is quite helpful.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tuition tip - I can use some help with that one I think :) No, we didn't see them at the Cliff's as we were at the O2 to see Simple Minds, but we managed to catch them at Dartford the week before. Must be about the 10th time we've seen Go West - ever since they first appeared.

Python Lee Jackson - a blast from the past. Just about the only Rod Stewart tune I don't mind.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1386355108' post='2299291']
Rod Stewart's vocal on the original Python Lee Jackson version of In a broken dream is great.
[/quote]

Much better than Thunder imo.
For me there are two I really enjoy doing. We don't get much chance as they are too heavy for most gigs.
Diamond Head Am I evil
Iron Maiden Afraid to shoot strangers.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1386356771' post='2299319']
Python Lee Jackson - a blast from the past. Just about the only Rod Stewart tune I don't mind.
[/quote]Whereas Thunder are always good (sorry huge Thunder fan here; Chris Childs one of my fave bass players).

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1386361177' post='2299396']
Whereas Thunder are always good (sorry huge Thunder fan here; Chris Childs one of my fave bass players).
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I like Thunder. We do the 6 minute version of Love Walked In, it's just I much prefer the original recording of In A Broken Dream

I just love playing My Sharona. It's dead tight with my still relatively new rock band ( on at Finnegans Wake in Edinburgh tomorrow night if anyone's out and about )

Weird but some of the ones I enjoy playing most are ones where I use a plectrum after 26 years as mainly a fingers player - Smells like teen spirit, Song 2 and my particular favourite complete with drop D is "into the valley". Big hefty bass in that one

There's also a medley I really love playing with a band I dep with. It begins with Play that Funky music then goes into Brick House by the Commodores where I have to drop the E to D as I'm playing it, Sex Machine then Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand and occasionally Cosmic Girl somewhere in the middle

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1386355108' post='2299291']

Rod Stewart's vocal on the original Python Lee Jackson version of Ine a broken dream is great.
[/quote]

Indeed it is. It's fantistic and I'd love to play it one day. I didn't even realise there was a cover ...I'll have to Youtube it :-D

Edited by seashell

Instrumental - Apache or Walk Don't Run or Brazil or Riders In The Sky, The Shadows & The Ventures

Vocal - You got it, Roy Orbison or Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen.

Feeling my age now as I don't know even half the tunes chosen so far on this thread!