Why become a member? ×

band borrowed rig and blew cab.

roonjuice

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1386151143' post='2296332']

I did a gig supporting Wilco and NWR wouldn't let me use his rig, ah what the hell, I still got his autograph and my pic taken with him and he's still a hero of mine! Just would love to have played through the legends rig!!
[/quote]
the miserable old git !
We supported them 3 times in total & they always used our backline
Lol
Norman is a really nice bloke though,i had a really good natter with him each time although he didn't offer to pay anything towards my new speaker when i mentioned it at the next gig.
Mind he didn't mess with my amp after i'd set it up either.

I have to admit when I'm hosting jam sessions I don't take an alternative backline with me, what people play through is my regular gigging set up (which admittedly isn't hugely expensive) and sometimes using my bass too. You start getting better at reading people and if I thought someone was thrashing the gear I wouldn't think twice about getting up on stage and turning them down if it was getting out of hand, in fact the pub would expect that of me to show some sort of control over the event. I appreciate full-on gigs is a different situation and I feel for the OP if his speaker has been genuinely damaged by unprofessional use by someone who by the sounds of it should know a lot better.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1386158632' post='2296463']
the miserable old git !
We supported them 3 times in total & they always used our backline
Lol
Norman is a really nice bloke though,i had a really good natter with him each time although he didn't offer to pay anything towards my new speaker when i mentioned it at the next gig.
Mind he didn't mess with my amp after i'd set it up either.
[/quote]
It might be me , but that doesn't really sound like the actions of a really nice bloke - knackers your gear , doesn't let you use his , and doesn't offer to pay for the damage , even though he's been told about it . Shoddy behaviour if you ask me . I'm now wondering if those infamous dark eye bags of his , are just a succession of black eyes from disgruntled support band bass players .

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1386143538' post='2296245']
[size=5][b]+1[/b][/size]

once word goes around the local musos .... you know [b]fred smith[/b] from the [b]gearwreckers[/b] .... yeah ... well i let him use my rig and he f*cked it ... dont let him near any of your gear (that sort of warning)

it may not bring you financial recompense but it will hopefully ensure that ignorant twats like him will in future have to carry and use all their own gear and thus not be given the opportunity to f*ck over anybody else's equipment
[/quote]

That's all well and good . . . . IF it really was the guy's fault. If he doesn't think it was, then he may well consider such a thing as slander/libel whereupon things could get really nasty, because it's likely to be easier for him to prove slander/libel than it would be for the OP to prove he was the prime cause of the damage.

Imagine you go around to a mate's house to check out his new rig. He plays a bit, you play a bit, he plays a bit more, you play a bit more and it breaks. Is that your fault or would it have broken no matter who was playing it? Gear can fail, we all know that and it's not always the fault of the person who happens to be using it at the time. Would you be prepared to pay to fix a venue's PA system if it failed while you were using it?

I'm not saying it can't have been this guy's direct fault, I'm saying we'll almost never know for sure and we'll almost definitely never be able to prove it anyway.

If you're really precious about your gear then why would you risk anyone else using it? Unless there is a pre-agreed arrangement about how to handle any faults that arise while lending it out then it's all at the lender's risk.

It's not great, but it is life.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1386146989' post='2296280']
A band I was in in the 90's were supporting the New fast automatic daffodils ( some minor success around that time) and I got to the sound check to see their bass player using my stingray as there was a "problem" with his battered ( & frankly shyite Jazz) the tour manager said it was ok "forgetting " to as me!! I was FU**IN' Furious!! he took me to another room to calm me down. what's worse we'd done a few other gigs with them as part of a tour and their bass player (I use the term loosely ) Justin, never said a single word to me (I don't care about name and shame) not a single word. tos*er. it was only Icarus the percussion player who was apologetic and bought me a few "Calm Down" beers at the end of the night. I'm still angry about it to this day (I know..but I am!)
[/quote]

It's O.K to still be angry, my friend. I would be, too. Use that anger to motivate you into making vindictive and petty acts of vengence, even if it is on people who had nothing to do with the original incident.

I am still angry about someone who chipped the finish on my Jazz Bass in 1984 when I had left it at the guitarists house I was rehearsing with , and then lied about it , so I share your pain. If and when I run into the fella again , I will be bringing the subject up in a very forthright and aggressive manner, regardless of the consequences.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386163503' post='2296565']
Imagine you go around to a mate's house to check out his new rig. He plays a bit, you play a bit, he plays a bit more, you play a bit more and it breaks. Is that your fault or would it have broken no matter who was playing it? Gear can fail, we all know that and it's not always the fault of the person who happens to be using it at the time. Would you be prepared to pay to fix a venue's PA system if it failed while you were using it?
[/quote]

A very good parallel, what I was sort of trying to get at with the Cymbal analogy, but the house PA is a far better on.

[size=4]Similarly if you borrow someone's car for a 10 mile trip and the engine blows up, are you obliged to pay for a new engine and fitting?[/size]
[size=4](If you answer yes to this then please feel free to borrow my car any time you like!)[/size]

Like Dingus, I am still unhappy with a so called 'friend' from another band who, when I was about14/15, slightly dinted the finish on my fairly new MIJ P Bass. It didn't get any worse, and the paint is probably still in tact (It was sold on some time back).

That bass was my pride and joy, and he did it because he was an older, jealous idiot. Probably also because I had a more attractive girlfriend.

The chap is now an alcoholic with drug problems,,,,

Anyway, Roon is a top guy, VERY trustworthy. If the cab had failed before hand, the bassist from the band who borrowed it would have probably blown the remaining driver.

I am tight and I barely lend anything out now.

Edited by Musicman20

Difficult lesson learned. They obviously don't think they did anything wrong and it will be hard to proove otherwise

As for a blown 210, the one speaker could have been weak and gone at some point before the other but that may still have stressed the other
chassis... so you are going to have to check them both out.

Expensive lesson...and possibly both speakers need repair or replacing.

The only thing is, is that you will not do this again... not much help, at this point, tho...but at least you will doubtless have
no compunction telling anyone NO.,

Hey buddy, I thought about this a lot today and I reckon you are gonna have to put this down to a lesson learned scenario. I'm not convinced by their communication with you on Facebook and their early departure post gig confirms their guilt to me but unless you are prepared to get nasty with them, then there isn't really any other solution I can see apart from drop it and move on.

This sorry tale reminds me of a few times I've seen very experienced players who seem to have no "feel" for setting up amps/preamps etc. Just turn everything up, hit it hard, then maybe turn it up a bit more…same thing with some engineers - if its not hitting the red its not on,is it?

My master volumes hardly ever go past half way, and I find these modern amps that just keep getting louder past the mid-point very strange…its just not natural. Not that I'm a clean freak, its just that (for me) drive should come from the front end of the amp…the back end is for necessary stage volume, not ego. Then there's the PA.

I like the phrase painted on ears. Seen plenty of those.

To the OP - make whatever noises you fell necessary, but don't hold your breath. Get new speakers and move on…lesson learned.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386164539' post='2296594']
It's O.K to still be angry, my friend. I would be, too. Use that anger to motivate you into making vindictive and petty acts of vengence, even if it is on people who had nothing to do with the original incident.

I am still angry about someone who chipped the finish on my Jazz Bass in 1984 when I had left it at the guitarists house I was rehearsing with , and then lied about it , so I share your pain. If and when I run into the fella again , I will be bringing the subject up in a very forthright and aggressive manner, regardless of the consequences.
[/quote]
Thanks D! I feel I'm not alone in irrational (given the time space) grudges. you have made a curmudgeonly old sod feel marginally better. and for that I thank you :)

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1386035271' post='2294949']
My gig last night:-
The band before us asked to borrow my bass amp.
I obliged as the chap was supposedly a sound engineer and i am easy going
i explained that the head was massively overrated for the 2x10, (GB9.0 at 4ohms)
i then found out he just didnt want to lug his TE rig up the stairs (after i said he could use my rig......)
he thrashed it then the band didn't even stick around to watch us.

what would u guys do?
r
[/quote]

buy a balaclava and a hammer... :P

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386277767' post='2298290']
You could always put it down to Trace Elliot.Big ,fat ,heavy and awkward. Tell him he should know better if he's a gigging bass player.
Oh, and he never even watched your set? Rude , but not uncommon. You could tell Facebook that
[/quote]
that's just rude young man, I could go on but, naa ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386277767' post='2298290']
Oh, and he never even watched your set? Rude , but not uncommon. You could tell Facebook that
[/quote]

Is it really rude?

why is it it expected that bands stay to watch other bands?
That really baffles me. :blink:

I stay when I like what I hear and I'm interested. Otherwise... why on earth would I stay? :rolleyes:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1386293506' post='2298528']
Is it really rude?

why is it it expected that bands stay to watch other bands?
That really baffles me. :blink:

I stay when I like what I hear and I'm interested. Otherwise... why on earth would I stay? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Totally agree here. When I first started gigging I'd stay to watch, but after a while you get sick of too many sh*t bands. If the band is good I stay, if not, I'm off home!

I don't know if this adds anything to the thread but I thought I would quote from a book I'm reading at the moment. It is from an interview with Chuck Rainey where he is being asked if he ever got to know James Jamerson: "I knew who he was as far back as 1959, because the Motown acts used to tour all around the Great Lakes area. We first met at a huge concert in Ohio in the early '60s; I was playing with Big Jay McNeely and he was with the Miracles. Someone in the previous band had borrowed my amp and blown the speakers - so I plugged in and just pretended to play. Afterwards, James came up and told me I should have plugged into his amp, which was right next to mine. I appreciated that, and since then I've done the same for other bassists."

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1386323018' post='2298666']

Totally agree here. When I first started gigging I'd stay to watch, but after a while you get sick of too many sh*t bands. If the band is good I stay, if not, I'm off home!
[/quote]

I don't know if it's 'expected' to to stay and watch other bands but I suspect it probably depends on whether people are just playing for the money or the enjoyment and camaraderie. After all, if it's just a job, who stays after work to watch the next shift?

I think that it's polite; an etiquette within the musicians' community.
If I can, I'll stay and watch the other bands. However, I'm not so polite that I won't bugger off if I think they are crap :-D

Similarly, I always make a point of catching any bands that are on before us.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386324633' post='2298698']

I don't know if it's 'expected' to to stay and watch other bands but I suspect it probably depends on whether people are just playing for the money or the enjoyment and camaraderie. After all, if it's just a job, who stays after work to watch the next shift?
[/quote]

Yes, I'm definitely in the 'cameraderie' camp. If you were an artist with a display in a gallery, surely you'd take the time to look at the work of the other artists in the exhibition?
If you're not an artist, then I'd suggest you're a clown whore ;-) :-D :-D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386324633' post='2298698']
[/quote]

I play for the enjoyment AND the money too (which allows the band to ensure we continue enjoyable stuff like recording etc - on my main band, all money goes towards the kitty, with a few exceptions occasionally like travel etc).
What camaraderie do you talk about?
Just because those 4 guys play in a band, and I play in a band, is not enough to assume we have much in common. There are many crap bands with crap attitude members, and many that are just delightful... so I assume nothing and play by ear, so to speak.

I stay if I enjoy what they do. My time is my most precious possession, and I try to choose wisely where I spend it.

I frankly find it ridiculous that someone may feel hurt because another band does not stay. First of all, if you notice them leaving, that means the audience is not that big... That suggests there are more important things to worry about. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate just showing up, playing and leaving... networking is very important. We've got many nice gigs through audience that came and saw us by pure chance (last one was a couple of weeks ago, where we got asked to play at a wedding... we're an originals band, that's pretty unusual, we've been asked to play birthday parties and stag do parties even.. but a wedding, I did not expect)... but we've got the best opportunities through our interactions with other bands. You end up becoming friendly with a few local bands, people talk, they remember you when they have something cool to offer... These are bands I (we) have stayed to watch, and we go to watch when we don't play too.. because we like what they do.

Essentially, what I'm saying is... I don't see the *necessity* to stay and support someone you have no interest in. Not meant to disrespect them, just that... well, I probably have better things to do. I would rather focus my attention on those I like best, as it's a more enjoyable experience and it's more likely that it will result in a good relationship between the bands. The whole idea of "we're both bands, therefore we must support eachotehr" does not hold water for me. I need more than that. If that makes me a bad person... so be it :) But I think it pays to be a bit discerning when choosing where to invest your time.

On the note of borrowing stuff to idiot.

Played a small 3 band affair and after doing our short sound check cause the headliner was mega late (and providing drum shells)
Their bassist walks up to me and complimentary at first, but then asks to borrow my bass cause he has a broke string. Obviously I say no, and he replies with "why? It's not even a fender..."

At which point I loose my cool a bit and spout on about how he even has the gaul to ask me after turning up to his own gig late and not even being bothered to sort out a fresh string before hand. Finishing on telling him too look up the RRP of the status neck.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1386327443' post='2298745']
:) But I think it pays to be a bit discerning when choosing where to invest your time.
[/quote]

I wish I could say that my life is so exciting that after a gig, that I could be spending my time in better ways. Skinny dipping with groupies at the aftershow party, playing Go with Howard Marks, helping at the local animal shelter, or perhaps learning to read music. Alas, at that time of night, the choice tends to be stay and watch the bands, or go home, knock the telly on whilst browsing basschat, then bed

Perhaps I'm using 'cameraderie' and 'politeness' as an excuse for a sad and empty life :-D