Why become a member? ×

A Fodera or others

thebassist

Your options seem to jump from bog standard Leo fender designed mass produced bass right up to a custom made by one of the top makers.

Either your heart is set on the fodera - in which case go get it,

or there's a whole raft of custom made, or high end loveliness in-between a Standard US Fender and a Fodera.
Actually looking at the price of Fender's now you can get a UK made custom for less...

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385996932' post='2294431']
Great resource. Thanks - I'll definitely use that a lot.

"Total import duty & taxes due: £738.70" - scandalous amount isn't it.
[/quote] You'll pay taxes and duty on the whole price including the postage cost... not sure if you added that in.

It sounds like you've not really played enough instruments to really know what you want. None of the basses you've listed below the Fodera are comparable, none of them merit any more deluxe status than the other because personal preference is everything. There was some good advice to go and try out a lot more luthiers including Fodera if you haven't already, the the U.S you've got MTD, Sadowsky, Skjold, Elrick, Mike Lull, Alleva Coppolo, F-Bass (in Canada actually), the U.K you've got Sei, Overwater, ACG, Shuker. Get down to the Bass Gallery Camden, Bass Direct too, try everything.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1386015516' post='2294687']
Fodera = Aston Martin
Fender = Ford Mondeo

Do you want an Aston Martin or a fleet of Ford Mondeo's?
[/quote]

Funny how perspective can mean everything. Fender for me = Classic Ford Mustang. Fodera = Liberace's solid gold Cadillac.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385976091' post='2294138']
I don't want or intend this thread to get into any kind of debate about whether a Fodera is value for money, etc. but I'd appreciate some opinions from people.

My budget will enable me to purchase either:

1. A Fodera Monarch 4 Standard
...or...
2. A combination of these:
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Fender American Standard Jazz
Fender American Standard Precision
Music Man Stingray
Music Man Sterling
Suggestions?

I've never bought a bass without playing it first and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try the Fodera before actually buying it so it's a bit of a gamble if I went that route. That is my biggest concern with the Fodera - A LOT of cash on a bass I can't play before buying.
[/quote]

What do you want in a bass?

Why do you feel it necessary to spend your budget?

Why can't you decide if you want one of two entirely different kinds of basses?

Why can't you try a whole load of basses over a month and pick the one that you love (if there is one)?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1385999817' post='2294457']
I've played a Fodera in a pub band many times. Most people wouldn't know one if it upped and slapped them in the face.

Even a lot of everyday bass players wouldn't notice one from my experience.

I'm currently gigging a, very, expensive Ritter. Apart from one guitarist asking what it was no-one has mentioned it so far.

I used to gig a £3.5K MTD - at one gig a nice guy came up at the interval and told me what great basses the US Standard Fenders were but that I I couldn't afford one then the Mexican ones were pretty good.

Not sure what he thought the MTD was but he obviously assumed it was worth less than a Mex Fender :)
[/quote]

ha ha ha!!! That's excellent!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1386060269' post='2295042']
I'm going to Bass Gear on Saturday to try their Monarch and while I'm there I'll try out a load of their other basses. Thanks for the input all.
[/quote]

If you like the Fodera and can afford it - go for it! Even if you decide later that it's not for you after all, you should be able to sell it. That's the weird thing about the market place at the moment - top-end basses still seem to be selling, even though people are not buying the mid-range stuff.

There is a lot of inverse-snobbery at times on here. People will try to tell you that you can do everything you need with a Fender P bass... It's your money, do what the heck you like with it!

But do get back to us and let us know what you thought/bought! B)

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1386060269' post='2295042']
I'm going to Bass Gear on Saturday to try their Monarch and while I'm there I'll try out a load of their other basses. Thanks for the input all.
[/quote]

A splendid idea mate, I really hope you find the special bass you're looking for :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386065573' post='2295113']
There is a lot of inverse-snobbery at times on here. People will try to tell you that you can do everything you need with a Fender P bass... It's your money, do what the heck you like with it!

But do get back to us and let us know what you thought/bought! B)
[/quote]

+1,000,000 :yarr:

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1386066120' post='2295125']

+1,000,000 :yarr:

Eude
[/quote]

Well you say that, but the guy was asking for advice, should he go for a Fodera or two Fenders? When someone asks a question like that it suggests they don't really know very much about basses, or about what they want from a bass. So he clearly needs advice.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386068036' post='2295159']
Well you say that, but the guy was asking for advice, should he go for a Fodera or two Fenders? When someone asks a question like that it suggests they don't really know very much about basses, or about what they want from a bass. So he clearly needs advice.
[/quote]

Whoops, I only meant to quote this bit...
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386065573' post='2295113']But do get back to us and let us know what you thought/bought! B)[/quote]

Eude

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386068445' post='2295167']
Not really worth +1,000,000 though, is it ;)
[/quote]

Depends on whether or not the OP ends up with a Fodera, and which model, some of them cost about that don't they? ;)

Eude

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386068036' post='2295159']
[/quote]

True, but sometimes the majority of the advice takes the form "you want one of these mate - I've got one and they're brilliant!" :rolleyes:

I think it also reads as the OP really wanting to buy a Fodera, but not sure he can justify it - so compares the Fodera to familiar reference points.

Some of the advice, about trying other high-quality, high-value basses; is spot on though.

We are subjective though, and it is natural to recommend the things that each of us like and use. Just not sure that kind of advice is very useful in this particular case. :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386071058' post='2295197']
Eh?
[/quote]

Eude quoted my post and stated "+1000000". You implied it wasn't worth that... I was upset.

Well, I wasn't really - just trying to make a bit of a joke... :D

Oh, never mind. Back on topic!! ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386071088' post='2295199']
True, but sometimes the majority of the advice takes the form "you want one of these mate - I've got one and they're brilliant!" :rolleyes:

I think it also reads as the OP really wanting to buy a Fodera, but not sure he can justify it - so compares the Fodera to familiar reference points.

Some of the advice, about trying other high-quality, high-value basses; is spot on though.

We are subjective though, and it is natural to recommend the things that each of us like and use. Just not sure that kind of advice is very useful in this particular case. :)
[/quote]

Very true mate.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386071198' post='2295203']
Eude quoted my post and stated "+1000000". You implied it wasn't worth that... I was upset.

Well, I wasn't really - just trying to make a bit of a joke... :D

Oh, never mind. Back on topic!! ;)
[/quote]

That is all true, but then he said he only meant to quote the bit where you said 'do tell us your thoughts and what you bought', and I thought that was not worth + million. Nothing is really is it :)

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385976091' post='2294138']
I don't want or intend this thread to get into any kind of debate about whether a Fodera is value for money, etc. but I'd appreciate some opinions from people.

My budget will enable me to purchase either:

1. A Fodera Monarch 4 Standard
...or...
2. A combination of these:
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Fender American Standard Jazz
Fender American Standard Precision
Music Man Stingray
Music Man Sterling
Suggestions?

I've never bought a bass without playing it first and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try the Fodera before actually buying it so it's a bit of a gamble if I went that route. That is my biggest concern with the Fodera - A LOT of cash on a bass I can't play before buying.
[/quote]

Absolutely no idea, but I was intrigued by your gear list... "6 delay pedals???" thinks I... "I've got to hear this!"

I really like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4RlXXqo6o[/media]

On this theme/debate/impending row over whether very high-end basses are worth the premium over more mainstream but still very respectable quality bases like the O.P lists as the alternatives to the Fodera, there really is no easy answer.

I have owned in the past and do own now esoteric custom -made basses and they are wonderful things , but are they more fun to play than an off-the-shelf production bass? No , not really. Do I play better on them ? No, definitely not. For my own tastes , I can get just as good a sound and just as much pleasure from playing a nice standard Fender bass as I can from playing a custom bass that costs three or four times as much. Most really expensive basses are just different to good quality production instruments, not neccesarilly better in practical terms , and I say that from the perspective of someone who is in a position to play any bass he wants., be it a Fodera or whatever.

I would suggest that when shopping for any bass at any price ( but especially spending this kind of money) that you look for as much what it doesn't do wrong as much as what it does do right . By that I mean that you want to be sure there is no annoying little peculiarities on any given instrument that will end up driving you to distraction in the long-term , because whether it is a Fender bass that cost a grand or a Fodera that four times that, those are the things that can ruin it for you and make it a miserable purchase that you bitterly regret.

That said , if you like that style of bass and that kind of a sound, there is every chance that a Fodera will be some of the best money you will spend in your life and something you could get a lifetime of pleasure and fulfilment from. What you are paying for on a Fodera is the amount of time, expert skill and care that goes into every single bass they send out of that workshop. Every small detail is taken seriously . That is why they are so expensive, but if those things are important to you then they are worth paying for.

I hope you have a great day at Bassgear. I wish I was coming, too.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1386073264' post='2295243']
Absolutely no idea, but I was intrigued by your gear list... "6 delay pedals???" thinks I... "I've got to hear this!"

I really like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4RlXXqo6o[/media]
[/quote]

Wow - that's fantastic. Right up my street! Thanks to dlloyd for posting and thebassist for putting his bass & 6 delay pedals to such creative use...top stuff B)

I'm so glad I asked for your opinions gentlemen - in addition to the great advice shared, an old band mate has just contacted me off the back of this thread saying he's got an Emperor 4-string that he may be interested in selling so I'm off to Brentford and then onto Denmark Street instead this Saturday.

And I played brand new 2013 Fender American Standard Jazz/Precision Basses yesterday. While I did quite like the Precision, it didn't really do it for me but I was really impressed with the Jazz - I've always liked J-style basses but I think the revamped post-2012 Fender model is a pretty incredible instrument. So I'm considering one of those with pickup replacements - maybe the Aguilar AG 4J-HC if I can get some opinions on them.

I think my budget will pretty much enable me to get either a Fodera or at least two other basses so roll on Saturday.

Edited by thebassist