Why become a member? ×

A Fodera or others

thebassist

I don't want or intend this thread to get into any kind of debate about whether a Fodera is value for money, etc. but I'd appreciate some opinions from people.

My budget will enable me to purchase either:

1. A Fodera Monarch 4 Standard
...or...
2. A combination of these:
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Fender American Standard Jazz
Fender American Standard Precision
Music Man Stingray
Music Man Sterling
Suggestions?

I've never bought a bass without playing it first and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try the Fodera before actually buying it so it's a bit of a gamble if I went that route. That is my biggest concern with the Fodera - A LOT of cash on a bass I can't play before buying.

They do come highly recommended - not just by jazzers, I've read some very positive reviews by self-proclaimed 'normal' bass players - so if you know exactly what you want you're likely to come away with an amazing instrument you'll play forevermore. And Foderas have good resale value so if you don't like it you'd get a good price for it (if you're patient) and you can buy something else or go with your second plan of a combination of Fenders and Musicmans.

if you have a limited budget go and buy used, this way you might be able to check the instruments -even the foderas- before buying them. maybe you only need a bit longer to find your bass.
even if I had the funds to buy new, I'd probably still go this way, if I wouldn't know what I want or would get...

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385976091' post='2294138']
I don't want or intend this thread to get into any kind of debate about whether a Fodera is value for money, etc. but I'd appreciate some opinions from people.

...or...
Music Man Stingray
Music Man Sterling
Suggestions?

I've never bought a bass without playing it first and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try the Fodera before actually buying it so it's a bit of a gamble if I went that route. That is my biggest concern with the Fodera - A LOT of cash on a bass I can't play before buying.
[/quote]

Spending that sort of money without trying first (or having the option to return for a full refund) is certifiably nuts IMHO, regardless of the reputation of the manufacturer.

Also your alternatives are kind of odd, you're comparing a very modern boutique bass with a faint whiff of coffee-table to a bunch of classic traditional basses.

Personally I'd get to a shop by whatever means and try enough stuff to figure out whether you actually want a fodera, precision, jazz or musicman, then track down the most awesome example of the one you settle on. With your budget you could, for example, get one great vintage Fender rather than a several new ones.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385976091' post='2294138']

...or...
Music Man Stingray
Music Man Sterling
Suggestions?

[/quote]

I've tried all of those basses, and I still couldn't tell you which to buy . So much depends on what you want for your money, for a start. What is it that makes you aspire to the Fodera rather than another high-end bass of similar repute, and why is the alternative the basses you list?

There are so many things to consider, including do you actually want to own and therefore have the burden of looking after such a rare and expensive bass as the Fodera? All your eggs would be in one expensive basket, so to speak.

I am not one of those people who thinks Foderas are overpriced,but at the same time they do cost [i]a lot[/i] of money . If you live in the U.K and want to invest in a high quality to bass to use and enjoy then a Fodera is not neccesarilly the most logical or practical choice and there are a lot of alternatives if you have that kind of cash to spend . That said, you are not under any onus to make a logical or practical choice if you are spending your own money on your heart's desire, and if you want a Fodera and can afford it then you should buy one .

Give us a bit more background info and we might be better able to help/ confuse you even further.

Edited by Dingus

In my opinion, you'd be nuts to spend Fodera money without trying one. I'm absolutely sure that it would play beautifully, and the build quality will wipe the floor with the other basses you're considering, but I personally didn't get on with the tone of the ones I've tried, more of a solo bass than a bass bass if that makes sense? May well be right up your street.

These guys have a few Foderas in stock >> http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-guitars/fodera/
I'm not sure how far away they are from you, but as suggested above, if you're dropping that kind of money, you should consider spending a bit of cash to go try one out first.

Eude

Fodera .obey as has been said can buy you next to anything you want.
And if you are spending that sort of dosh there are more than meets the eye out there.

Roscoes for example are seriously amazing basses.
Then there are actual builders you can pop in and say hello to and actually talk face to face so nothing gets lost in translation or miss understood.

As has been said. None of us know what you are after out of a bass, or even basses. So any suggestions are purely on opinion.

The Monarch Standard is a great bass with a lot of tonal variation (the dual coils are relatively neutral sounding and easy to tweak).

There's a very good review on Bass Player. I think it's maybe featured on Foderas site as well.

The Monarch Yin Yang Standard has more of a defined sound from the EMG PJ configuration (EMG's are much more 'voiced' than the Duncan derived DC's).

You're also in used Monarch territory in this price bracket. Could get a Deluxe (dovetail neck joint) or an Elite (neck through) if you're not a fan of bolt-on necks.

However, I'd definitely try and find one to play before committing to buy. If you're in the UK then the place I help out at has a decent stock of Foderas in most of the time and they are happy for people to play away for hours :)

My personal view is that there's nothing quite like a Fodera but I've had the benefit if owning a few different ones and each has been a little different from the others.

They all play really well (given my limited ability) but they certainly sound different from each other. As an example the current YY Standard the shop has is much more aggressive sounding than previous ones. Again, from a personal viewpoint, I love this tone and it's my favourite of the ones I've tried but I can imagine other people not liking it at all.

They do tend to hold value really well. There's generally an initial hit in depreciation but after that they settle down and don't move much.

Depends what you like, if you're a classic looks sort of guy in a pub band you,re gonna be scared to gig the fodera. However if you're a session player a fodra might be the way to go, thing is a fodera has very little in common with anything in option 2.

I've played a four Fodera's before and I've loved all of them but I’ve never actually owned one. Brilliantly bassgear.co.uk have the example I want available in stock so I'll be getting down there to have a test this weekend. It is however priced £4190 whereas the same bass will cost about £2895 directly from Fodera. Even considering import duty, £1295 is a considerable mark up. I suppose I could wait for a used one to crop up but I’ve not found one of these become available second hand yet.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1385978771' post='2294166']
If you're going to shell out that sort of money on a bass then I would suggest a hundred quid to get a train or driving to wherever you can try a Fodera is worth the money.
[/quote]

Very sensible advice.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385991698' post='2294357']
I've played a four Fodera's before and I've loved all of them but I’ve never actually owned one. Brilliantly bassgear.co.uk have the example I want available in stock so I'll be getting down there to have a test this weekend. It is however priced £4190 whereas the same bass will cost about £2895 directly from Fodera. Even considering import duty, £1295 is a considerable mark up. I suppose I could wait for a used one to crop up but I’ve not found one of these become available second hand yet.
[/quote]

Having a quick play with one of the online duty calculators yields a cost of at least £3750 including shipping, insurance, import duty and VAT, so ~£400 markup which isn't too bad IMO, and is probably in the ballpark of haggling-room on a £4k bass anyway. Also there is obviously value associated with being able to try the instrument in a shop rather than buy unseen.

Isn't import duty and VAT the same thing? While Jason at Fodera tell me they have these available to ship now, I've since decided that I definitely don't want to take a risk buying a bass like this without playing it first so I'll go down to Bass Gear, test it and if I like it I'll try to work out a deal there.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1385995134' post='2294390']
Isn't import duty and VAT the same thing?
[/quote]

Nope, two different taxes and you have to pay both :(

[url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/186623765/"]http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/186623765/[/url]

[
[
[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1385992653' post='2294372']

Having a quick play with one of the online duty calculators yields a cost of at least £3750 including shipping, insurance, import duty and VAT, so ~£400 markup which isn't too bad IMO, and is probably in the ballpark of haggling-room on a £4k bass anyway. Also there is obviously value associated with being able to try the instrument in a shop rather than buy unseen.
[/quote]

Current price of a Monarch Standard from the states is $4,750. Shipping is flat rate of $240 (you have to use fodera's specified courier) and there's a US govt export tax of $110 (this came into force earlier this year on anything with an obvious use of abalone and other protected shell products - seems crazy but it's non-negotiable!).

That makes a total price direct from Fodera of $5,100. Based on current exchange rates that comes in at £3,200 (that's the quote from my bank for actually purchasing $US and transferring to a US supplier).

UK Vat and duties will add 23% on top of this taking the total to pretty much bang on £4,000. Depending on the shipper there may be additional UK admin charges to sort the paperwork. These shouldn't be more than £25 though.

The £190 difference between that and the current UK list price is simply exchange rate fluctuations.

The £ is looking very strong against the $ at the moment and was a lot lower when the current UK instruments were purchased. It's really tough to legislate for stuff like this on higher end instruments :(

The available dealer margins on Fodera are pretty low, certainly a lot less than something like a Fender or Musicman.

Plus you get UK dealer backup on any warranty claim should anything happen (which is incredibly rare but not unheard of).

Edited by molan

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1385985975' post='2294277']
Depends what you like, if you're a classic looks sort of guy in a pub band you,re gonna be scared to gig the fodera. However if you're a session player a fodra might be the way to go, thing is a fodera has very little in common with anything in option 2.
[/quote]

I've played a Fodera in a pub band many times. Most people wouldn't know one if it upped and slapped them in the face.

Even a lot of everyday bass players wouldn't notice one from my experience.

I'm currently gigging a, very, expensive Ritter. Apart from one guitarist asking what it was no-one has mentioned it so far.

I used to gig a £3.5K MTD - at one gig a nice guy came up at the interval and told me what great basses the US Standard Fenders were but that I I couldn't afford one then the Mexican ones were pretty good.

Not sure what he thought the MTD was but he obviously assumed it was worth less than a Mex Fender :)

"I used to gig a £3.5K MTD - at one gig a nice guy came up at the interval and told me what great basses the US Standard Fenders were but that I I couldn't afford one then the Mexican ones were pretty good.

Not sure what he thought the MTD was but he obviously assumed it was worth less than a Mex Fender :)"

nice one barrie, so many idiots out there..... but you are right.... close to no one cares or even notices....