Why become a member? ×

zoot cabs

lowfer

Hi All,

having some serious GAS at the moment, just come into some money and its burning a whole in mpocket big time. Looking at replacing my ashdown mag 400 combo. I know i am going to buy a little mark II head but i have to decide on a cab. I am looking at the Aguilar GS112, the Bergantino EX112 ER. I have been to the Bass Merchant web site and i see they have some cabs made by Zoot, i am interested in the ZBB112T.

I play a five string and assume all wil be able to handle the low b, a like a warm creamy smooth tone. Which cabs would people recomend, any body got any feedback on the Zoot cabs.

Look forward to hearing from you

Nathan

[quote name='lowfer' post='227639' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:04 PM']Hi All,

having some serious GAS at the moment, just come into some money and its burning a whole in mpocket big time. Looking at replacing my ashdown mag 400 combo. I know i am going to buy a little mark II head but i have to decide on a cab. I am looking at the Aguilar GS112, the Bergantino EX112 ER. I have been to the Bass Merchant web site and i see they have some cabs made by Zoot, i am interested in the ZBB112T.

I play a five string and assume all wil be able to handle the low b, a like a warm creamy smooth tone. Which cabs would people recomend, any body got any feedback on the Zoot cabs.

Look forward to hearing from you

Nathan[/quote]
[topic="0"]Use[/topic]

Hello Nathan

I imported 2 Dr Bass LLC cabs a 1260 full range (1x12, horn and mid range) and a 115 plus horn, 8 Ohms each. They a light, sound good either on their own or as an extension to a Cube 100 or together driven by a Tubepth 5.1. Check out Rob at Rim Custom Basses he is now importing them at keen prices. I use a Fretless custom built Overwater Progress III 5 string and a Dean 5 string upright and have no bottom end issues.

Regards B the N

[quote name='lowfer' post='228958' date='Jun 29 2008, 12:19 PM']hey Lee,

whats uour verdict, have you had a chance to play through it yet

Nathan[/quote]
awaiting delivery as we speak.4 ohm cab being built as only 8 ohm in stock.give Darren at Bassmerchant an e-mail to sort out your requirements(very helpful).

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='229768' date='Jun 30 2008, 03:09 PM']I just ordered a ZBB112T, he said he has one in stock, and should send it tomorrow, may take it to the festival I am playing at the weekend![/quote]
please post your findnings as i'm considering one of these

My 2x12 and LM11 head coming Tuesday.Results to follow.
Darren and Chris at Bassmerchant have given fantastic service so far,and have even asked me to send my opinions on this rig when I've used it.
At last,a music outlet that gives a f**k!

Not entirely sure about the cab yet, used it for a practice and for a festival, gonna try it some more and see if I can get a nice enough sound from it, it rattles though as the air seems to escape from the jack sockets on the back and makes them rattle, gonna try duct taping them up to see if that stops it.

(I did tape it up by the way, but then discovered it was something at the practice room rattling behind it when the air was pushing it).

Edited by thedontcarebear

Very interesting to see these Zoot cabs - I wonder how they've solved the problems of getting a stiff enough enclosure when making it so light? I know it's taken me a lot of work to get my Barefaced Bass designs to perform well.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='GStar' post='232670' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:25 PM']Can't wait to hear how the Zoot cabs sound... I noticed the 112's we're only around £280 from bassmerchant; very tempting![/quote]
Hi All, I have done a review of the 1x12's. Check here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19656"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19656[/url]
I have a couple of pre-production ones that I got in March, and they are really excellent. Talking to Mike, apparently I have a different horn in mine compared to the production run, but there shouldn't be much difference. Mike invited me down to LIMS and I was fortunate enough to be able to check out the neo version.
Unbelievably light. The 2x15 is awesome.
There should be some stock available when these are finished :)
[attachment=10515:Zoot_cabs.jpg]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='234049' date='Jul 7 2008, 12:03 PM']Very interesting to see these Zoot cabs - I wonder how they've sold the problems of getting a stiff enough enclosure when making it so light? I know it's taken me a lot of work to get my Barefaced Bass designs to perform well.

Alex[/quote]
Alex,
From talking to Mike, before I ordered my cabs, the secret appears to be in the ply he uses. It is the same stuff TechAmp use for their enclosures and as well as being very light and stiff, is bloody expensive. Apparently each consignment is costing Mike £1K.
Cheers,
Stuart

[quote name='BassBunny' post='234072' date='Jul 7 2008, 12:24 PM']From talking to Mike, before I ordered my cabs, the secret appears to be in the ply he uses. It is the same stuff TechAmp use for their enclosures and as well as being very light and stiff, is bloody expensive. Apparently each consignment is costing Mike £1K.[/quote]

Ah ok, probably some kind of poplar/okoumé composite. Much easier to get a light cab that way, far less labour involved though you can't get quite the structural integrity of a heavily braced cab. I think Epifani were using similar stuff before they recently changed (and their cabs gained loads of weight).

Alex

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='232337' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:00 PM'][/quote]

I'm gonna railroad the complete thread, cos I'm just in a silly mischievious mood and say "LOOK AT THAT AMP!!! NAWWWW!! They are so cool" . I might just dance around a bit too. I think my neighbours need to hear the F1 in action.. again..

*deep breath*

ok... i'm alright now.. I'll pick up my things and go again... heh heh

I know Mike took some pointers from the Tech Soundsystem cabs design when he use to stock them.
Note the side handles are also the same as what Tecamp use.
Its good to see a british manufacturer undercutting the majority of imports as well as providing something comparable.

Got the LM2 and the cab,but there is a wiring fault in the cab.The nice folks at Bassmerchant are sending me a new one on Monday.
Very good service from them.
I can tell you that the LM2 is excellent.Really good clear sound and very versatile.