Why become a member? ×

Fuzz Pedal Recommendations

kendall

Hi there. I am considering asking for a Fuzz Pedal for Xmas.

Not after any tone in particular - more for experimentation. Don't want to spend more than a £100 really.

Any Bass Chatters have some experience with Bass Fuzz that they can share? The type of music I play is metal/rock.

Thanks

Kendall - there's a lot of discussion about fuzz pedals through out the forum, use the search bar top right.

It would be helpful to know what sound you are after, what artist or band you like the bass on, otherwise you could get caught into the overdrive/fuzz/distortion dilemma.

Edited by Left Foot

You couldn't find any info about fuzz pedals in the effects forum, really?

I use Fix'd Fuzz DLX or a Malekko B:assmaster which are both versatile and really great pedals that keep low end, but since you haven't said what sound you're after or got the budget for either new, I can't help.

Guess you're on your own.

Can't recommend anything, every fuzz/distortion I've ever used in a band setting has instantly vapourised my bass sound into the mix of the guitars. In the end settled on cranking the amp and digging in.

I know it [i]can[/i] be done effectively (mastodon immediately springs to mind), but the chances of your guitarists complying when you ask them to alter certain parts of "their sound" are slim at best.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1385747414' post='2291847']
Must say - that Tarkin looks pretty nice!
[/quote]

Excellent demo on youtube [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am3BZHSFwp4"]here [/url]from Basschat's Hamfist, mids knob means you'll never get lost in the mix! ;)

Personally I totally love my Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian, but they're hard to get hold of in the UK at the best of times, and cost a bit more than £100 unfortunately. If it ever goes down properly though (recently had to get get footswitch replaced, after it broke at a gig and was stuck on for a whole song! :lol:), I know I'll be replacing it with a Tarkin!

Just to reiterate what everyone else has already said (!) check out Bassfuzz.com. Great demos that will give you a good idea of what might be up your street.

£100 will buy you a lot so you don't have to compromise too much. I picked up my SS/BS Team Awesome Fuzz Machine for less than that and it has been my fuzz of choice for over a year now. Prior to that I loved the EHH Bass Big Muff, only problem is the lack of control over the dry blend but a simple mod will solve that if you're good with a soldering iron. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it isn't good!

I've never tried the Tall Font but have almost pulled the trigger 3 or 4 times, it's probably the best modern Russian muff out there, IMO. If you fancy a versatile gated fuzz, check out the Iron Ether Oxide, I got my for £80 - between that and my TAFM I can nail pretty much any Fuzz sound that I want to use.

Fuzz is a pretty personal thing at the end of the day, I reaaaalllly can't stand a number of very popular pedals touted frequently on this forum and also on TalkBass, but that's just me. Best of luck finding the right one for you mate.

I too have been through a lot of fuzzes, but the TFR is just brilliant. No other pedal has stunned (and destroyed) my bandmates as perfectly as that one!...I think BigBassBob nailed its charm with this description:

"The TFR has a special something in the low mids. When I tried it out on a recent gig I could feel the low end punching the back of my knees with each note (pretty much the same as when I was playing clean) while the fuzziness just filled everything else. It was perfect for making the whole band sound bigger."

I just know that Tom (COG) could reproduce this though, and with a whole host of potential custom options! He is that good! ;)

Agree that fuzz is really down to personal taste though. Listen to the YouTube demos, even though the equipment's not neccesarily the same it'll give you an idea of the character, and there are a lot of pedals currently going in the "For Sale" area (Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, EHX black Russian Big Muff, etc...) that are well within your budget! Besides, as mentioned before, you'll likely be able to sell one on for the same price if you find out it's not for you!

Godspeed ;)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1385770697' post='2292171']
i love the swollen pickle! big fat fuzz with loads of bottom!

although i do have a tarkin fuzz on the way soon!
[/quote]

And there's the mention of the Swollen Pickle! I wholly agree, I believe AndyDye has the superior Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B going if you want to get in touch with him!? A superior version of a brilliant pedal...Seriously though, get a Tarkin! You won't regret it! ;)

Of all the muff circuits I've tried the TFR is my favourite. It's not on my board at the moment but I am tempted by the You're Doom for lower gain fuzz. Muffs aren't for everyone. Even though the TFR has some strong low mids there's definitely still a mid scoop going on that my or may not work in a band situation.

Wow plenty to think about - i'm off to try a few out today. Along with the BassFuzz resource, I'll have plenty to options to keep my mind open. It's really for experimentation more than anything else. And as for guitarists complying - I'm my guitarist aswell, so I'll have to have a strong word with myself! Lol.

Thanks for all the input - I'll let you know how I get on - then pass on the good news to Mrs K for my Xmas box.

Check out the COG Grand Tarkin (Green Muff with mids & blend), and Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (Tweaked muff with mids & other options).
Both awesome sounding fuzz pedals!!
The only reason I don't own the COG is I built myself a green muff with mids.....Tom doesn't let me forget it though ;)

Si

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1386592793' post='2301815']
I hate Fuzz through 10inch speakers and, as Gaz mentions, tweeters!

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the Diabolik Gaz!

Si
[/quote]

Yes yes, tweeterless 4x12 all the way for me :)

I'll try record some clips after xmas when i get back into the practise room, diabolik and TFR comparison i think... And oxfuzz bass too, unless somebody buys it off me first!!