Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH500 Treble Control

shybaldbuddhist

Hi all,

I've had the BH500 for a week or so now and I love it, the sound is great and it's really versatile.

One problem I've been having though is with the treble and tweeter controls. They don't seem to make much different to the sound when I turn them. Anyone else found this? I'm aware that the treble control boosts and cuts at different frequencies but it still doesn't make any difference.

I'm using it with an Ashdown mag 210 deep cab.

Could the treble control be broken?

If your cab is working right, it will give you up to 20kHz thanks to the tweeter. Without the tweeter it would only give you up to about 4kHz.

According to TC's tech specs, the BH500's treble control operates to cut at 1.6kHz and boost at 4kHz. It doesn't say what the tweetertone does, but presumably it is meant to operate on higher frequencies.

All this makes me wonder how much top end is coming out of your bass in the first place. What bass are you playing, is it active or passive, what strings are on it, and how new are they?

Plug an iPod or something into the Aux Input and play something with lots of cymbals in it. This should bypass all the tone controls. Get your ear down by the tweeter (careful with the volume!) and listen. You should hear a difference when you put your hand over the tweeter - if not, your tweeter is dead. If all is good, try playing your bass with a plectrum, and all controls on the guitar full up. Compare between full treble boost and full treble cut on the amp. I bet you can hear a difference now!

The Aux Input only comes out through the Phones out but i ran my ipod through the main input with the EQ flat and it seems that the tweeter is dead. When I adjust the treble and tweeter controls while playing my ipod you can really hear the difference through the main speakers, much more than when playing bass through it. I guess this is because the bass isn't making as much noise at the higher frequencies.

New tweeter it is then!

The Aux only coming out of the Phones out is a bit annoying really but i have another amp that does this so it's not too much of a problem.

Yes i covered the tweeter and there was no difference. I also put my ear right up against the grille in front of the tweeter and couldn't hear anything. Must be blown.

Any ideas where to get a new one?