Why become a member? ×

Shipping a Head

acidbass

Hello all,

I may have to ship my SVT-4PRO head and a rack case within the next few weeks, and I was just wondering what the best way to do it is?

It's a heavy beast, and I'm not sure every courier would carry it. Would the rack case be strong enough with a couple of layers of cardboard to protect it, or would I need something stronger?

Thanks for any advice guys,

Danny

I thing putting it in a race case is a very sensible idea.

I didn't when I shipped mine, packaged up my B4r in more than overkill packaging. They still managed to bend the rack ear. :)

Is it a 3U? You might end up getting some very expensive quotes for anything bigger.

Edited by Spikyhedgehog

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a trade secret - do you have a Sony Centre near you? - Laptops that have to be repaired go in a huge box with much padding. this padding looks very much like the old acoustic egg box stuff that people used use years ago.

Every laptop that comes back has 2 large pieces of foam with them.

I use this to pad guitar cases before delivery

Has this got valves? I'd take them out and wrap seperately, and make a diagram of their location for the next owner. I'd also put some kind of packing into any empty rack spaces so that the amp can't flex on its rack-ears if dropped. Good luck.

inhibiting movement is critical.
I'd suggest tight bubble wrap, until you fill your first box - and then those peanut things filling a second box, with the whole thing duct taped.
the bigger and heavier the amp, the more of each to use.

I've had heads done like this arrive to me in perfect condition - and the only one where less attention was done arrived destroyed. the only thing the box was good for was keeping the loose parts from getting lost.