Why become a member? ×

Orange Isobaric Cabs. Any opinions?

Mog

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1385898049' post='2293237']
I must echo the comment about how they sound in the mix ,that,s where they shine.
[/quote]That has nothing to do with the isobaric design, and everything to do with what's inside, which is this:

http://www.bluearan.com/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2510&browsemode=category

There are many other sources for Deltalite II 2510 loaded cabs, and if they're not isobaric then a 2x10 will be as loud as a 2x10, not a 1x10.

I've owned and gigged an SP212 for last 2 years. I should fess up that I only bought an Orange OTB/SP212 rig because my first amp as an aspiring base player when I was a teen was an Orange and I loved the tone. It packs a punch for sure and is so practical for practising at home or someone else's when we are noodling. I recently added an OBC115 and used it last night for first time in tandem with the SP212 - great sound/tone. Having said all that, I have no idea what anything else sounds like as I've played nothing else.

Having used the sp212 with the bass terror for over a year I have to say I love it.

More than enough power and overall sound to compete with a 5 piece rock n roll band.

I love mine so much I went and bought his big brother sp410.

If you guys think the sp212 is heavy then I suggest a trip to the gym as I have my bass on shoulder, amp in left hand and can in right :-)

Perfect cabs

• 3 weeks later...

I had a SP210 which I bought from a user on here 3 years ago for £320. Saw the going rate on here was only £200 or something so I tried eBay first and to my surprise it went for £310!

They are a good idea, but will not give you the sound of a big cab. They'll get you closer than a conventional small cab though.

Just a quick update.
Picked up a SP210 "on trial" and have been trying it out at some smaller gigs and at practice sessions.
Cant fault the build quality/construction but so far the tone ain't for me. Tried it with the LH500 and the Reidmar and in both cases the cab was lacking a lot of low-mid definition to my ears.
Gonna grab a mates Terror head for practice this evening and see how that goes.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1387626548' post='2313907']
I think we're all missing the point here.

With a Terror head and SP cab it looks the bollox!

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to non matching heads and cabs ;)
[/quote]

I'm a bit CDO about alphabetical order......

Anyhu, Been trying the Terror and the SP210 and it just ain't for me. Would be great for Classic Rock and the like but I'm too stuck in my ways so it's back to Hartke I go.........for now!

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1387626548' post='2313907']
I think we're all missing the point here.

With a Terror head and SP cab it looks the bollox!

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to non matching heads and cabs ;)
[/quote]

That was exactly why I picked up an SP212 when I saw one second hand and going cheap at a local shop. With a roqsolid cover, not a mark on it and less than half the price when new, given that I had the 'right' amp for it sat at home, I just couldn't walk past it. It sounds fine and can hold it together with a metal band, so I'm happy to keep it!

I am really dubious when people compare the the sound of one cab to another without a/bing within a full band setting. In reality that is impossible therefore most comparisons are on the unreliable side of subjective.

What I can say is that in the three years I spent gigging an SP212 the bass was not found wanting. It was heavy, but still a beatable one handed lift for a km or so.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1387902193' post='2317076']
I am really dubious when people compare the the sound of one cab to another without a/bing within a full band setting. In reality that is impossible therefore most comparisons are on the unreliable side of subjective.

[/quote]

Sorry lad but that's utter nonsense. I play in a few bands and do a Hell of a lot of dep work. I know damn well when a cab will work in a given situation just by listening to it, as would a lot of other members.

As an Orange user this thread has been an interesting read. For my part I have theTerror Bass head with an SP 210 cab which have proved powerful enough and portable enough for my needs. That said I think they have a fairly distinctive sound which may not be to everyones taste. A lot will depend on the type of music played and gear used. For me the Orange fits in nicely for the bluesy side of music and brings a nice warmth to the table. However, as its not a Jack of all trades I also have other amplification I can call depend ing on the situation and this works well for me.