Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH500-7 Fan Problem

Paul70bass

I have a Trace Elliot AH500-7 and during a gig last week the sound from the speakers just cut out. I tried a few things but couldn't get it back again, there was still power to the amp but the red LED above the output gain was clipping.

I have had the amp out of it's casing and noticed the fan isn't turning, I assume now that there is a cut off when the fan fails to protect the amp / speakers etc. There doesn't seem to be any power getting to the fan so at the moment I am unsure as to whether there is a problem with the board or just the fan.

My question is: if the fan needs replacing is there a specific fan to fit this model, would an off the shelf fan do the job? If there is a problem with the powder to the fan then I guess this is a job for a trained professional.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this or any other TE model?

Paul

[quote name='Paul70bass' timestamp='1385726001' post='2291528']
Hi guys

Yes this is the one, I bought it from new 6 years ago.

I know this model has been de-listed and replaced with the AH600, so I'm hoping parts will still be available

Paul
[/quote]

I've worked on older Trace amps, and the fan was a standard 80mm 12v jobbie you'd find in a PC. The protection circuit is usually a thermo switch mounted on the heatsink which trips at high temperature if the fan has failed for some reason, and shuts off the speaker load to allow the amp to cool down. However, I can't guarantee yours is the same - perhaps get it to a pro to check.

I've seen faulty thermo switches before which jam in the off position.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='Paul70bass' timestamp='1385998562' post='2294445']
Thanks Geoff

I did indeed take it to a pro and the fan was found to be damaged, when removed it just fell apart.

Anyway a new fan has been fitted and all is well again, gigged it last Friday with no issues so hopefully the problem is solved.

Paul
[/quote]

Ah that's good news Paul. I recently had a Trace fan which jammed solid as the bearings failed, and I found an exact replacement easily enough on ebay.

Enjoy!

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass