Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

jmstone

Wow these guys have a great sound and songs.

Just to ask a possibly silly question, are there any ways to recreate this sound on a budget? I know it wouldnt be a versatile, but are there any single pedals that could come close to this sound, just to play around with it?

[quote name='Rick05' timestamp='1405345633' post='2501018']
Wow these guys have a great sound and songs.

Just to ask a possibly silly question, are there any ways to recreate this sound on a budget? I know it wouldnt be a versatile, but are there any single pedals that could come close to this sound, just to play around with it?
[/quote]

Single pedals, no. I'm slowly building this rig pedal by pedal. I got the MicroPOG instead of the POG2 (MicroPOG is the cheaper, smaller variant) and ran the effect line through a cheap distortion and the dry out into a bass amp. You wouldn't have control over cutting out the bass but you could get a cheap A/B box (which there are tonnes of barebones boxes on eBay) to cut the signal. I'd go from there. It's essentially what i'm doing.

EDIT: The closest 'single-pedal' you could get to recreate this sound would be a Boss OC-3 Super Octave pedal. It has a build in distortion setting which works with an Octave setting. That's the closest you'll get to the sound through one pedal.

Edited by NOTJORDANWALKER

Pretty Obvious from Glastonbury and T in the Park recent shows but here is the current amp rig and bass set up http://www.fender.com/artists/profile/RoyalBlood/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8fQD3CL5I

Edited by icastle
Links fixed.

Hey all,

Have been watching this thread since Royal Blood played on the Jools Holland show.

Always been into making the fake guitar sounds and this band have nailed it.

Anyway, using what I've got I've updated my board and have recorded a go of 'Out of the Black' complete with the pedalboard dancing for the fake guitar sound.

http://youtu.be/tVCJF_L5zog

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1405793491' post='2505350']
Great job! must be a lot of fun to play around with those sounds
[/quote]

Hell yeah! Just messing around using what I prefer has highlighted what differences that could be made to improve it more (ie lighter gauge strings, different fuzz pedals etc) but for what I've got and what I intend to use it for (to help fill out the sound in my regular band where there's just drums, guitar and bass) it'll do the job great. Might have a crack at taking a non royal blood song and see how far I can go with it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1405332195' post='2500787']
I don't have the best recordings yet but I'll try and get something when I go at the end of this month. Got a session with a mate of mine. The sound was [b]enormous[/b] when we tried it out though.
[/quote]
That'd be great man, be sure to hit me up. In the meantime if you have any rough youtube demos or anything you could link me to? Doesn't have to sound amazing, just something to get a rough idea.

Hey all,

For those still interested, I recorded another Royal Blood cover, this time having a stab at 'Little Monster' as I've started playing it in one of the bands I work with.

More of the same pedalboard, but also using the Boss PS-6 to thicken out the outro of the song. Let us know what you think!

[media]http://youtu.be/tL7SeRxYzq8[/media]

Edited by pitchard

[quote name='pitchard' timestamp='1407276702' post='2519184']
Hey all,

For those still interested, I recorded another Royal Blood cover, this time having a stab at 'Little Monster' as I've started playing it in one of the bands I work with.

More of the same pedalboard, but also using the Boss PS-6 to thicken out the outro of the song. Let us know what you think!

[media]http://youtu.be/tL7SeRxYzq8[/media]
[/quote]

I think I need a diagram of that board, even if it's crude, just to get my head around it. I thought I was getting a decent sound out of just three of those pedals used but your has taken it to another level.

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1407758026' post='2523598']
I think I need a diagram of that board, even if it's crude, just to get my head around it. I thought I was getting a decent sound out of just three of those pedals used but your has taken it to another level.
[/quote]
No worries, definitaely doing a video of the board at some point.

Great job on Little Monster, absolutely spot on, will look forward to the video on the board as well!

Really enjoying Royal Blood's Figure it out, like a few of their other songs it reminds me a bit of QOTSA and itseems to be getting a fair bit of airplay. The more I hear it the more I like it, their album is a definite purchase for me, out on the 25th of this month I think.

[quote name='pitchard' timestamp='1408189833' post='2527953']

No worries, definitaely doing a video of the board at some point.
[/quote]

Yes!!
Onto other covers, I was thinking of this the other day, was going to do guitar/bass covers in one take with my crap load of gear.
As a request I thought a good place to start would be some sort of RATM or Audioslave.
Early RATM like killing in the name of both guitar and bass play pretty much the same thing, Audioslave Cochise again, guitar and bass play the same line IIRC.

The original for me, fake guitar on bass

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OuyGNMjlZ6s

A few other tunes he uses the pitch up for solos.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum :) Saw royal blood at Glasto and Reading, huge sound, and surprisingly simple playing when you actually go down to try and learn some of their stuff.
For anyone that wants to Achieve a similar kinda thing without the huge cost of all those pedals/amps, its not actually that hard to do.
Obviously you need two amps, but an octave pedal on its own would get you a rough representation of what it feels/sounds like.
I wouldn't advise a whammy as they don't really track so well, better for six string guitar. Pogs are really really good and although I paid £230 for a POG 2 which is far beyond what i'd usually be prepared to pay for a pedal, it really is an amazing thing. Tracks perfectly, has loads of presets and ability to blend in everything (True bypass ect ect). Not sure about micro pogs on the tracking but i'm pretty sure they should work the same, and they have a dry out so you don't even need a splitter. (POG 2 doesn't). So yeah a bass, an octave pedal, two amps, should be okay.
I'll post a video soon with my new band, we're a two piece and although I do use six string guitar for some stuff, its mostly bass with octave up, and to me it sounds phenomenal at high volumes!! Hope this helped anyone who wants to achieve on a budget!!!