Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

jmstone

I will switch notifications on, as I never see the build up of replies to videos I post on here.

Jammed this one yesterday with drummer this time (no need to program this one!). Still changing the board around (a lot) but nearly there so I will post a video of it finished once I'm happy I've got it right.

[CODE]
http://youtu.be/fuCs6QhXKXI
[/CODE]

• 3 months later...

I've been playing around with this as well. I have a Micro Pog I'm using for the Octave up and use a fuzz pedal to get the guitar tone. I'm still tweaking, but for Royal Blood's Figure It Out, you can get almost all the way there with a real simple setup. It's the other songs that require some other effects.

• 1 month later...

Been a year since I uploaded the first Royal Blood video with fake guitar tone...the video has been seen nearly 70k times which is awesome!

Decided to have a go at one more to celebrate, this one being Ten Tonne Skeleton which features heavy use from a Boss PS-6 Harmonist to create a whammy effect. This one is a lot harder to get the tone correct and to make it less articifical sounding but abit of a laugh regardless

[media]https://youtu.be/V627aNmhI7w[/media]

[url="https://youtu.be/V627aNmhI7w"]https://youtu.be/V627aNmhI7w[/url]

I much prefer Mongol Horde, if anyone's heard of them?

Admittedly they are a three-piece (Vocals/Guitar/Drums) but the Guitarist plays a baritone guitar with the signal split to generate both the guitar and bass parts.

Here's a live video. Yes it is crowd shot, but the audio is of an acceptable quality!

https://youtu.be/kNcxo6ZVuJk?t=1m12s

OR if you prefer studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4alaVpNeWmY

Edited by Bankai

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1422541193' post='2673882']

Just been listening to them, to me they sound like a band missing a bass player.
[/quote]
Sorry, but I tend to disagree. I know it's not there but it sounds like there's bass there. Maybe it's just my mind putting it in, but I don't think that's thin at all ;)

• 4 months later...

[b][size=4]Royal Blood - Mike Kerr - Pedalboard diagram[/size][/b]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]I[/size][size=2]'ve made this pedalboard diagram after watching available videos/pictures/interview...

This version is based on the late 2014-2015 pedalboard, after he replaced the [/size][/font]
[size=1][size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Boss GE-7 (Graphic Equalizer)[/font] [/size][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]for a 2nd Boss LS-2 (Line Selector).

He recently [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]added a 3rd Boss Harmonist PS-6 which is not showing in this diagram[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]as well as the the two Boss NS-2 (Noise Suppressor) that are sitting on top of both[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Fender Supersonic 22 Combo.[/size][/font]

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The diagram has been made with a free online 'Visio' like diagram apps. You don't [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]​need to have an account with creatively.com to see the diagram. I also attached[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]a .png file.[/font][/size]

[size=2][url="https://creately.com/diagram/ii90yf072/OblIpaHWvEDBpi77Y7k8mab6BhQ%3D"]https://creately.com...7Y7k8mab6BhQ%3D[/url][/size]

[attachment=207467:Royal Blood - Mike Kerr - Pedalboard diagram.png]

Edited by thestratmanblues
  • Thanks 1

I actually saw someone do a couple of passable covers of Royal Blood using nothing more than a Stingray and a Boss Octave pedal (not sure which model). The signal was split to take the dry signal to a bass amp and the high octave to an overdriven guitar amp. Personally I prefer to let the guitarist do the guitar bits and I'll play the bass lines.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, so I apologize for reviving it. Well, maybe not apologize, but I at least hope I don't irritate too many folks... :)

I've only tinkered around with guitar, and I'm a complete noob on bass guitar. And Royal Blood as without question the primary impetus that drove my "self-realization" that I really wanted to play bass. I've been listening to them for a couple years, but frankly never realized, until earlier this year, just how unique and awesome it is what Mike Kerr does with a bass. I thought he was using backing tracks, hidden background players, or something! Even seasoned musicians that I introduce to RB don't believe that it is a single bass guitar making all that sound. I listened to the other bands mentioned in this thread (Mongol Hoarde, Graveltones) and although they sound great, they are not even close to RB, imho.

[quote name='pitchard' timestamp='1437207130' post='2824387']
Been a year since I uploaded the first Royal Blood video with fake guitar tone...the video has been seen nearly 70k times which is awesome!

Decided to have a go at one more to celebrate, this one being Ten Tonne Skeleton which features heavy use from a Boss PS-6 Harmonist to create a whammy effect. This one is a lot harder to get the tone correct and to make it less articifical sounding but abit of a laugh regardless

[url="https://youtu.be/V627aNmhI7w"]https://youtu.be/V627aNmhI7w[/url]
[/quote]

pitchard, I already subscribe to your youtube channel. Absolutely Inspiring. I wouldn't mind some more detail on your pedalboard setup (especially the PS-6 settings for your "Ten Tonne Skeleton" cover) but I've watched and listened to all your RB covers (and a lot of other stuff now too) and you are very talented. Please keep up the great work!

[quote name='thestratmanblues' timestamp='1450319276' post='2931712']
[b]Royal Blood - Mike Kerr - Pedalboard diagram[/b]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]I[/size][size=2]'ve made this pedalboard diagram after watching available videos/pictures/interview...[/size][/font]

[size=2][url="https://creately.com/diagram/ii90yf072/OblIpaHWvEDBpi77Y7k8mab6BhQ%3D"]https://creately.com...7Y7k8mab6BhQ%3D[/url][/size]
[/quote]

thestratmanblues, thanks for the pedalboard diagram. One of my goals is to emulate the RB sound, and your work is by far the best I've found (and I've looked A LOT!) As you can see, I am slowly building my own split-channel pedalboard... :)

Edited by azfatboy

• 4 weeks later...

We're covering a couple of Royal Blood tracks in my 5-piece band. Obviously we are fans :gas: . The bigger band makes the songs way heavier in my opinion, and none the worse for that. I use a clean bass sound (no fx at all) for what it's worth.

I kinda get why some BCers are not that impressed with Royal Blood. However, the [b]fact[/b] is that they're popular because they have some catchy songs. That's how the music business works.

It is perfectly acceptable to be into unpopular music if that's your thing instead, or indeed highly popular chart stuff which I find unpalatable.

Just my £0.02.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1471443954' post='3113096']
We're covering a couple of Royal Blood tracks in my 5-piece band. Obviously we are fans :gas: . The bigger band makes the songs way heavier in my opinion, and none the worse for that. I use a clean bass sound (no fx at all) for what it's worth.

I kinda get why some BCers are not that impressed with Royal Blood. However, the [b]fact[/b] is that they're popular because they have some catchy songs. That's how the music business works.

It is perfectly acceptable to be into unpopular music if that's your thing instead, or indeed highly popular chart stuff which I find unpalatable.

Just my £0.02.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I obviously read this thread, and I didn't notice too many negative posts about RB. Guess I missed all the haters? Besides, it would take a a mighty pretentious person to not be at least a little impressed with what Mike Kerr does with a single bass--all while singing... The fact that the music is pretty damn good is almost peripheral...

What songs do you guys cover? I am trying to add a couple to my budding band's repertoire, but so far it's proven too difficult for my novice talents to separate the parts.

[quote name='azfatboy' timestamp='1471447982' post='3113129']

Hmmm, I obviously read this thread, and I didn't notice too many negative posts about RB. Guess I missed all the haters? Besides, it would take a a mighty pretentious person to not be at least a little impressed with what Mike Kerr does with a single bass--all while singing... The fact that the music is pretty damn good is almost peripheral...

What songs do you guys cover? I am trying to add a couple to my budding band's repertoire, but so far it's proven too difficult for my novice talents to separate the parts.
[/quote]
We're playing Little Monster (Bb on my 5str rather than drop D) and Figure it out (standard). Good luck!

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1471458821' post='3113228'] I believe The bass tech for RB is Chris the frontman/bass player from 'The Zico Chain' who were an awesome three piece a few years back! Just Thought I'd share that as they are well worth a listen IMO [/quote]

Wow, you are right--those guys are pretty good!

I also just listened to another group, Death From Above 1976, that is a 2 pc bassist and drummer. Only here the drummer is lead vocalist. Still pretty good music.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1471443954' post='3113096']

Just my £0.02.
[/quote]

I know - it's almost as if art is subjective! Isn't that awful?

I recall seeing them on Later, an edition mostly full of dull indie pap, some old geezer Jools Holland was brown nosing plus some anonymous warbler. Then RB sounded fresh ad quite exciting in contrast to all the other toot, even though rock isn't my bag. However, having checked out their album the limitations of their line-up are all too obvious.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1471621514' post='3114581']
I recall seeing them on Later, an edition mostly full of dull indie pap, some old geezer Jools Holland was brown nosing plus some anonymous warbler. Then RB sounded fresh ad quite exciting in contrast to all the other toot, even though rock isn't my bag. However, having checked out their album the limitations of their line-up are all too obvious.[/quote]

Hmmm, well that's a pretty glass half-empty way of looking at it. I guess one person's "limitation" is another's unique sound. I don't think they are missing a thing. I haven't enjoyed a band's music so much in years, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

[quote name='JonesTheCat' timestamp='1471641437' post='3114775']
My brother has been trying to get me to listen to RB for at least two years and I think I had them confused for someone else so held out, until this thread piqued my interest. Just borrowed and listened to the album, cracker.[/quote]

Awesome. Of course, I agree. I don't think there is a single weak track on the entire album.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it's been a few months, and I've been focusing on my regular bass practice, but I can never get my RB dreams out of my head completely.

My biggest problem is still the octave up. I've been using the PitchFork, and it is just irretrievably synthy. So I decided the only way forward was to start duplicating even more of Mike Kerr's pedals. I already had the tuner, line-splitter, and harmonist, and now I've added a full-fledged POG-2 and a Zvex Mastotron. About the only effect pedal I am outright missing now is a Strymon Flint, which I am not convinced is worth the expense. But I am on the lookout for a second PS-6, even though I can't fathom how he is using it on the dirty channel...

Unfortunately, the results are mixed. The POG-2 is just as synthy as the PF or my Bass Whammy. For now, I see no reason to get a second POG-2 (replacing my PF) as I believe they are both producing the same result.

But the Mastotron is indeed the SHIZ! It has made a huge improvement in my "dirty" guitar channel tone. I can see why @pitchard is happy with his Fat Fuzz Factory, which I think can get to a similar place.

[quote name='pitchard' timestamp='1422786173' post='2676655']
A combination of POG2s, Boss TU2/LS2/PS6,ODB3, Sansamp Bass Driver and ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory and then signals split to different channels. Splitting to the different channels make all the difference.
[/quote]

Edited by azfatboy

And just on the heels of my finally, just maybe, being able to "figure it out", it looks like Mike has changed just about his ENTIRE SETUP! Just watched [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP1_H4CbBD4"]this video[/url] showing not only a new Fender offset bass (in multiple!), but also what looks to be a Multi-effect pedal, or is it just a MIDI/Pedal Looper and he's hidden all his pedals back in a rack somewhere??? About the only pedals I recognize are the two Boss PS-6 Harmonist pedals and that is probably still his BOSS Tuner on the far right. Anyone care to sleuth out what Mike's is pedaling now??? :)

[attachment=244522:MikeKerrNEWPB.jpg]

Edited by azfatboy