Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

jmstone

I like a challenge! I think I can replicate most of this with the VB-99 - bass on one channel, guitar emulation on the other, got plenty of effects , harmonists/delay/tremelo and a blend through a distortion pedal. Then I can route each channel to one side of the stereo outputs and use the footswitch to turn the bass channel on and off.

What's s-bend mode, I'm not familiar with the harmonist? (mine will probably sound more like U-bend mode LOL !

UK tour just announced: http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/artist/royal-blood-tickets/709593

I'm half way through listening to the album for the first time, and I've checked out a couple of clips on youtube. It's ok, but sorry to not jumping on the bandwagon, so far it's somewhere between White Stripes with a better drummer and an ok bassist, and Them Crooked Vultures with someone who's not John Paul Jones. Sure there's effects wizardry that's of some curiousity value, but if you didn't know that and just heard the songs, well it's just OK.

Haven't had time to read this thread yet.
Just thought I'd mention that I saw them on the box( Glastonbury , reading) , and for a two piece band they're good.
Can't stand the white stripes,and hope they don't get as tedious as them .

It will be interesting to see how they progress as a live band . Sparks were the best 2 piece band I saw, and they had guests .

This Fishman Fission looks like another great pedal for Royal Blood style fake guitar sounds:

http://www.fishman.com/product/fission-bass-powerchord-fx-pedal

£235 inc delivery from Hotrox - has everything you need in one box including octave up, 5th above, 4th below, distortion and footswitches to turn on and off each layer. Separate outputs to send to a guitar amp too.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'm now looking at doing something like Royal blood.
Me & my best mate from school, who is the best drummer I've ever played in a band with, are finally getting together to make some noise. The main idea is to have some fun.
So with this in mind I'm looking to fill out & make as much noise with the bass as possible.

I'm looking at maybe a micro pog, chorus & distorsion to really fill out the empty bits & let my drumist do his thing.

Any ideas & pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately I'm not a wealthy person so budget is not massive

Edited by fumps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1409649731' post='2541774']
I'm now looking at doing something like Royal blood.
Me & my best mate from school, who is the best drummer I've ever played in a band with, are finally getting together to make some noise. The main idea is to have some fun.
So with this in mind I'm looking to fill out & make as much noise with the bass as possible.

I'm looking at maybe a micro pog, chorus & distorsion to really fill out the empty bits & let my drumist do his thing.

Any ideas & pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately I'm not a wealthy person so budget is not massive
[/quote] Yeah you've pretty much mentioned the bare minimum you need there. A micro pog, two amps, though you could probably get away with just a single bass amp and run the pog with the octave up through the amp too.

[quote name='pitchard' timestamp='1405761995' post='2504990']
Hey all,

Have been watching this thread since Royal Blood played on the Jools Holland show.

Always been into making the fake guitar sounds and this band have nailed it.

Anyway, using what I've got I've updated my board and have recorded a go of 'Out of the Black' complete with the pedalboard dancing for the fake guitar sound.

[media]http://youtu.be/tVCJF_L5zog[/media]
[/quote]

Really enjoyed that man, whats the layout / signal chain if you don't mind telling the world?

Cheers

Oh no, not another one...

[media]http://youtu.be/oEjUYu86fps[/media]

This is a student request (I get the feeling I'll be teaching a lot of Royal Blood this term!)

For the nerds out there, this features a slightly different pedalboard setup. With the use of my new interface (Allen & Heath QU16) and a feel more leads, I've managed to get bass and a left/right fake guitar sound, much bigger sound now! Video of pedalboard run down at some point soon, it takes longer to explain all that than record the songs I find!

[attachment=171892:Royal Blood.jpg][attachment=171891:Royal Blood.jpg][attachment=171891:Royal Blood.jpg]Saw this pic from an article on Fender Amps. I noticed two pedals on top of the stack. Any Ideas? Think they may both be Boss FB-2 Feedback/Boost pedals to boost treble to the 'guitar' channels...

• 1 month later...

We did Little Monster for the first time on Saturday. Smallish local gig and wasn't expecting many of them to know any Royal Blood tracks but thought we'd give it a road test. Went surprisingly well, noticed a few of the younger crowd singing along to the chorus which was cool. Good fun song to play too. We did it in drop D and as a 4 piece too.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1413843316' post='2582780']
....just very very mediocre once the drum/bass novelty has worn off.
[/quote]

I'm afraid this is just what I think of Royal Blood. It's novel that they do what they do with bass and drums, but what they do is just....

...boring.

I dont think this thread is really worship of the band, more the band has changed peoples ideas of what they can do with the bass.
I do like their singles but not bothered with their album as I'm not a massive fan, but his bass sound has really made me wonder what else can be achieved with the bass guitar.

To replicate that sound in a three piece could really make something amazing with the right application (Especially when you consider someone playing keys over that sound) .

I read in the paper today that Francis Rossi of Status Quo has no idea who Royal Blood are. Surprising!! He said, 'Who are Royal Blood? ...Generally unless a band has been around for five years and has a profile, I don't know them...' Mind you, he IS 65, which would put him in the youngest 50% of BC membership. If he were a member, of course. Which he kind of is. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413896369' post='2583233']
I read in the paper today that Francis Rossi of Status Quo has no idea who Royal Blood are. Surprising!! He said, 'Who are Royal Blood? ...Generally unless a band has been around for five years and has a profile, I don't know them...' Mind you, he IS 65, which would put him in the youngest 50% of BC membership. If he were a member, of course. Which he kind of is. :D
[/quote]

Doesn't he sell ice-cream..? :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

I just like their music, their approach to making it is interesting but I don't get why so many almost write them off as novelty act (not so much on here but I've seen that mentioned a lot on other boards). What's novelty got to do with it? you either like it or you don't regardless of how it's played or by how many musicians.

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413896369' post='2583233']
I read in the paper today that Francis Rossi of Status Quo has no idea who Royal Blood are. Surprising!! :D
[/quote]

Not remotely surprising to me. If it wasn't for the novelty value of the bass player doing lots of stuff with pedals and thus getting column inches on here I wouldn't have a clue who they were either and I've still got some way to go before I'm Rossi's age.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1413909331' post='2583492']
Not remotely surprising to me. If it wasn't for the novelty value of the bass player doing lots of stuff with pedals and thus getting column inches on here I wouldn't have a clue who they were either and I've still got some way to go before I'm Rossi's age.
[/quote]

Ah, I was being sarcastic - that should have been 'Surprising!! :rolleyes:' i.e. not surprising at all. I wouldn't have had a clue either.