Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

jmstone

[quote name='SkinnyMike' timestamp='1398340006' post='2433093']
I stumbled across these guys on Jools Holland last night.. What a sound! Best two piece band i've ever heard, blows Blood Red Shoes and The Black Keys out of the water IMO.
[/quote]
Nah man, the Black Keys are the masters of the two piece act! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it depends where you are playing the basslines, if he's doing a lot of work up around the 12th fret or higher (easier to play chordal stuff up there?) then an added lower octave would fill out the bottom end frequencies so it would sound fuller. By coincidence the black keys were on jools recently too - doesn't look like a 2 piece band for live work.

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1399978298' post='2449485']
Oh, no. Royal Blood are 100% two piece. No guys in the background. That's why their pedal board is such a hot topic.
[/quote] Think KevB was referring to Black Keys using additional musicians live BUT on hearing Royal Blood first time WOW just WOW !

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1399888976' post='2448563']
I'm trying to figure out the need for the POGs. Running a bass through a pedal that added an octave down is going to produce a really low, bass. Can you shift the pog up an octave or is it just down like the Boss OC-3?

[/quote]

Edited by Finnymarshall1997

[quote name='Finnymarshall1997' timestamp='1400013698' post='2449967']
He sets it so it cuts the lower octaves and only receives the two upper octaves giving it a fake guitar sound
[/quote]
Ah, I didn't know the POG could go UP octaves. I thought that was why he had the Harmonists, to get the higher octave.

I found that, and most people probably know this, that i could get this sound with a guitar and octave pedal. Admittedly, it subtracts away what it is he does with the bass and the array of effects, but my god did i have fun playing little monster with it. I uploaded it to my soundcloud so you could see how fun it is. Bear in mind im a bit rubbish.

https://soundcloud.com/samohtdrol/little-monster-guitar-tryoutmp3

Also, thanks to this site, i found this band. And for that i am eternally grateful to you all.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1400530246' post='2454755']
I found that, and most people probably know this, that i could get this sound with a guitar and octave pedal. Admittedly, it subtracts away what it is he does with the bass and the array of effects, but my god did i have fun playing little monster with it. I uploaded it to my soundcloud so you could see how fun it is. Bear in mind im a bit rubbish.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/samohtdrol/little-monster-guitar-tryoutmp3"]https://soundcloud.c...uitar-tryoutmp3[/url]

Also, thanks to this site, i found this band. And for that i am eternally grateful to you all.
[/quote]

That sounds great! I've been looking for a way to get that beefy sound without several grand's worth of pedals. I'm getting a Micro POG in a couple of weeks so I'll give this a shot. Gonna try it with bass and an octave up as well.

[quote name='Finnymarshall1997' timestamp='1398375253' post='2433588']
Hi, I'm new to this site but after seeing this i had to join. After watching A LOT of live shows on youtube and studying this picture i think Iv'e estimated how he gets his tone. The chain starts with the bass his :
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*Gretsch Electromatic Jnr Jet Bass II in Black[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*Gretsch Electromatic Jnr Jet Bass II in Black - Tobacco Sunburst[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]these seem to be his main bass guitars one kept in drop D (for sure) and one a full step down (i think), he also uses a[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*[/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Fender Starcaster Bass 4-String Semi Acoustic Bass Guitar Black[/font][/color]
This is kept in Drop C with the other strings down a full step (probably because the Gretschs are small scale basses and cant cope with this low tuning)

Now to the pedalboard. The chain starts with his Boss tuner> then the PS-6 Harmonist (from the picture looks like its in the s;bend mode which will be how he gets those quick high +1octave sounds for solos ect..)> this then goes into the "palmer triage" which is where the signal splits into three
*1st output- goes to the Boss LS-2 this is the pedal he hits to cut the bass sound probably on A~bypass mode this then goes straight to the bass amp (as far as i know you cant here any gain on the "real" bass sound) the bass amp is an Ampeg 4x12"
*2nd output goes to a POG 2 which will be set for the "fake" guitar sound> this then goes to a Boss[font=sans-serif][color=#252525] GE-7 Graphic Equalizer, this is used to cut the low ends off and get a mid range sound its not kept on through the show, you can hear it on the breakdown on "Little Monster"- very good for build ups> this then goes into another Boss Harmonist which might be for a 5th or something but I'm guaranteed its to bend to an octave below ( so the "fake" guitar sounds like it is turning into a bass again MADNESS)> this then ends on the Strymon Flint reverb/tremolo this is just used for a bit of texture and feedback>this set up then finally goes to a guitar amp think its a vintage Fender amp.[/color][/font]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*3rd output. Finally the last output goes to another POG 2 which will have similar settings to the other one> then goes to a [/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Z.VEX Vextron Mastotron Fuzz probably on the whole gig , his amps probably have high gain settings too for more crunch.[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]I hope this has been a help, really loving this band at the moment.[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Finlay.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

This is a great break down of gear!
Doesn't the second Pitch shifter get used for the slow dive bomb effect he uses at the end of sets or tracks and isn't it a standard 8x10 ampeg cab for the dry bass?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1401874141' post='2467635']
This is a great break down of gear!
Doesn't the second Pitch shifter get used for the slow dive bomb effect he uses at the end of sets or tracks and isn't it a standard 8x10 ampeg cab for the dry bass?
[/quote]

Pretty sure that's right, uses an ampeg 810 on it's side like James Johnson does.

See I go for this kind of massive rig/sound (have toured with a similar rig but a less pitch shifty board), but with a full band! But these guys have cool riffs and great vocals, something I feel we didn't! Was a hell of a wall of sound though ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing band. The vocals don't really do much for me but the sound of that Bass is incredible and the riffs are spot on. Setting up a 2 piece band with my drummer friend at the minute and was originally going to play guitar and cover the low end by splitting the signal and using a micro POG through a bass amp. However, upon hearing about these and doing a bit of research into other 2 piece bass and drum bands (surprisingly this isn't something I've ever properly looked into because I wasn't really into similar band set ups in the past) I've realised you can actually get a decent "full" sound and really cover all the ranges if you know what you're doing with your pedals. So yeah, currently looking into purchasing a Micro POG - plugging that into a Fuzz pedal and then onto an EQ pedal which will cut the low end and hopefully get a decent guitar sound through a vintage Fender combo. For the bass I intend on running it though my Sansamp and then straight into the Ashdown head. Any advice appreciated as i'm pretty new to the tech side and using pedal chains and want to make sure I'm buying the correct items and getting the most out of what i'm using.

Edited by markb88

Sort of doing a similar thing which is why I was so adamant about identifying their pedal board earlier in the topic. Just bought a Micro POG, run that into a fuzz and have been using a Boss TU-3 as a killswitch for the bass. It's such a great and easy sound. I didn't really find a need for the EQ pedal yet. The guitar head seems to deal with the sound really well. The Bass head, I just crank the low end and gain to get a borderline Distorted Bass.

Yo NOTJORDANWALKER, do you have any rough recordings or videos you can upload / send me? Be curious to see what this sounds like. It'll be way cheaper than buying the additional pedals I mentioned up there ^^^. Especially if theres no need for the EQ.

Thanks man.

Edited by markb88

Inspired by this thread I finally checked them out and sadly I'm going to be the party pooper. I want to like them, I like the idea of them, but once I got past the novelty of "ooh, thats a bass making that sound" the actual music doesn't do much for me. Ahh well, there's lots of other bands out there I do like :D

[quote name='markb88' timestamp='1404902428' post='2496776']
Yo NOTJORDANWALKER, do you have any rough recordings or videos you can upload / send me? Be curious to see what this sounds like. It'll be way cheaper than buying the additional pedals I mentioned up there ^^^. Especially if theres no need for the EQ.

Thanks man.
[/quote]

I don't have the best recordings yet but I'll try and get something when I go at the end of this month. Got a session with a mate of mine. The sound was [b]enormous[/b] when we tried it out though.